• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Oasis XL accuracy or calibration?

spectre1

Ive already searched and the anwsers im getting is kinda sketchy. So heres the question. Right now im running a cigar oasis xl in a coolador, the reading on the COXL is reading 70.9 but the sticks seem alittle dry. So I brought in another digital hgro and its reading 63.3 , so I added another one same brand same dig hgro and its reading 65.5. So for the third time Ive added another hgro diff brand diff style but still digital and its reading 66.9 .

I guess Im going to replace all the batterys and salt test all the hgro and recheck everything but I was wondering can the COXL be salt tested and if so can it be recalibrated? I cant find anything on their website on how to recalibrate it or test it and that is why I turn to the great minds here :thumbs: . Thanks for your time.

I don't know if they can be calibrated.

I had one and depending on whether I had it in a wooden humidor or in a wine chiller it was off by several points. It would read low in one and high in the other. It took some work and an accurate, salt tested hygro to finally get it dialed in. I think in the fridge (similar environment to a cooler when not running), it ended up reading high by about 3 or 4 points.

I was assured by many other users that I was lucky it was only off by that much.

Good luck.

I didnt have luck with it.
I would say throw it away and buy beads........ :laugh:

Contact board member Viper139 ( heartfelt Industries) He sells an adjustable digital hygrometer, calibration kits & the beads. I have a CO XL II set up in a tower humi and it's not accurate at all, even though the company claims that they are calibrated to + or - 1% It's off a couple points at least.

I've enjoyed considerable success with Cigar Oasis in my old cabinet; currently I have a new Aristocrat Plus THC and will have no more need for the CO (they will be as stand by for any problems with other humidor cabinets I have).

What I found most effective, especially in my multi tiered cabinet, was to put 3 salt tested and fresh batteried Oregon Scientific units at various levels of the cabinet. I think you'll find, with some exploring, that RH% is usually higher in the higher levels / top shelves of the cabinets. However, I digress. I used the digital hygrometers to give me an average reading across the whole of my cabinet.

Don't even think about figuring out the read out for the CO XL as it most definitely will be wrong .... it just doesn't correspond to the humidity my digital hygrometers were reading. Base the RH% on something that is salt tested (preferably a hygrometer that is digital AND can be calibrated).

Once you get a better idea of the RH% in your unit, you'll have to experimentally raise or lower the rheostat on your Cigar Oasis until you find a humidity level that is satisfactory for you.

Hope that helps,
Darren

The COXL itself works just great I cant complain at all, its just that I know for a fact the calibration is wayyyyyyyy off! Im currently salt testing the 3 Hygros to see what they come up w/. I just didnt know if the COXL could be recalibrated or not.

As far as the beads go Ive used them for yrs and have no complaints at all w/them I was just trying this as a set it and forget it kinda thing I currently keep up and running 40-45 bxs at any given time in 3 lrg cooladors and have relied on the heartfelt bead which has served me well. I know probably very few people know me here but Im going to be posting afew things about myself and my job pretty soon and I think most will find it quite interesting and I also look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible. :rolleyes:

Also to anwser 1 of my other questions, has anyone ever salt tested a COXL?

My Oasis XL is always set around 73%, but both of my Digital Hygros always read around 65-67%. I always trust the Hygros.

My XL II is set at 71 and my hygros readi 65-67

I am running two COXL in my cabinet. Both are pretty much in the middle of the cabinet. I have a digi hygrometer in the top and in the bottom. I have been very happy with them. I keep the COXL'S on about 70.5 and my hygrometers usually both read between 66 and 67 rh. which is what i desire.

I have had a few problems with having to refill them more than i think i should have to. And that is the only reason i am thinking of switching to a larger unit. I dont think the COXL are at fault, I am using them in to large of a space.

good sticking

See my albums for pics

Unless you disable the humidification function of the OXL, it is not possible to do a salt test on it. The simple reason is that it will attempt to actively compensate the ambient humidity against the setpoint that you dial in. If, however, you are able to disable the humidification part (perhaps by emptying the reservoir and/or disabling the fan) then yes, in theory, you should be able to salt test it like any other hygrometer.

I think that while the idea of a self-contained humidity manipulating-humidity sensing device is attractive and convenient, the execution of such idea is a significant challenge. One reason is that the humidity sensor can only be as far away from the moisture source as the other end of the device. That means that with the sensor in such close proximity to a region of dynamic, dramatic changes in humidity, some real intelligence in programming the control systems has to have taken place for the device to work as intended.

Unless the OXL has a built-in offset to compensate for this and a proper sampling, averaging scheme, it is likely to operate differently when used in something as small as a 48-qt humidity-tight coolerdor versus a tall, "leaky" wooden cabinet.

The ONLY device I trust to tell me what the humidity is in one of my coolers is a salt tested digital hygrometer. Look for my thread on hygrometer setups. There's some information on the salt test there.

Wilkey

I have the large cigar oasis in my cabinet humidor too, and I'm getting ready to sell it. I'm having the same exact problem.. I have FOUR digital hygro's in the humidor, and they all vary from one another. The CO is set to 70%, though the hygro's each read: 56% 61% 63% 68%. What's wrong with this picture???

I just purchased 2 lbs of Viper's beads, and placed them throughout the humidor. My readings are now all within 63%-67%, which is MUCH better than what the CO was doing. Plus, I'm having to fill up the CO once a week, as it becomes bone dry. My humidor has a great seal, so I know the CO just isn't as effective as they claim it to be. I called CO and they told me there are many cigar shops which use the the XL in their walk in humidors - I find this hard to believe...

Anyway, stick with the beads. I never thought they would be more effective than an actual unit, but they are... Now, if Viper can only create beads that maintain a 70F temp, we'll be all set. :)

Mine works great, Got to have some fans to move that air around. Mine is about 5 percent off, set at 70 it holds 65 all day long. I do have two pound of beads and few pounds of KL. To calibrate mine I set up a coolidor with a good hygrometer set down in there along side of the CO XLII ran a few different setting and did the math. The display read 5 percent different from the trusted hygometer. Just run all your cords in the drain and plug it up and let er go.

Hello! I have been experiencing the exact problem in my fridgeador.... I am going to ditch mine and stay with the beads.

-Frank