• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars to Bring to a Herf

taltos

:thumbs: Fellow members, did a due diligence search and found little to help me. I have never been to a herf and need advice on what cigars to bring to a herf. I do not smoke flashy cigars, smoke the following:

1. Indian Tabac Products-Fire, Tomahawk, and a couple of versions of Super Fuerte.

2. Sancho Panza-Cervantes and Barcelona.

3. Alec Bradley Trilogy and Pryme.

4. Onyx Products.

Private pleasure and I will get slammed for these, Don Elias Maduro Lonsdales and Quorum Coronas.

The question is that I have never been to a herf and wonder what cigars to bring since many of the reports reflect the best in cigar quality. Should I buy a box of AF 858 Maduro and maybe a box of Indian Cameroon and go with that, or should I be myself. The problem is that I was raised to exchange equal for equal, as are your passes, and my smokes would never be equal to many of the smokes exchanged. Any slams and advice is appreciated. I am hoping to meet CoventryCat at the Jag Show and do not want to embarrass myself with my cigar selections and hope to graduate to other New England herfs. Paul

Well, if it is just CoventryCat you are going to meet, don't worry about it. Withthe dog-rockets he smokes, you'll be fine! Just kidding of course. He is a fine and generous BOTL.
My personal opinion is thus: be yourself. Bring what you have, and give what you smoke. Anyone (IMHO) worth smoking with will be glad to smoke with you regardless of what you smoke, and if you trade smokes, will be unlikely to care what he or she gets back.

My rule of thumb, and to me, the most important. Do not be embarrassed by what you smoke!!! You smoke what you like, and that is it! I highly doubt that a true BOTL would judge anyone on what they smoke. If they do, probably would not be a BOTL to me! Go HERF, have fun, smoke what you have, and don't worry about it. It's more about the camaraderie and the atmosphere, than the "High class sticks" that you smoke or don't smoke. :thumbs:

My $0.02

Bill

Right on with what the other guys have said.

Bring what you like and that you'd like to share with others. Never be ashamed of what you enjoy smoking. You never know if something you enjoy totally rocks someone else's world. Whip out the White Owls though, and you're on your own. :laugh:

For newer guys and guys with modest stashes, bring what you can smoke and maybe just a few more. Every herf I've been to, guys are shoving cigars in your face because they think they have something that you might really enjoy. :thumbs: Chances are, you may not end up smoking a single stick you brought.

Do not worry about trading if this is your first herf and you're new to cigars. That can come later. For now, just hang out, smoke some, drink/eat and enjoy the company. Oh, and ask questions. Cigar nuts just love to talk :sign: ;) :D

Wilkey

Wilkey hit it on the head. Bring what you enjoy and don't sweat the little stuff. Swisher Sweets, White Owl's, and Hav-A-Tampa smokes will probably get thrown at you, though... :sign:

The exception, of course, is the PacNW herf at B.B.S.'s house. We only smoke the very finest cigars here, so be sure to bring plenty.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Wilkey hit it on the head. Bring what you enjoy and don't sweat the little stuff. Swisher Sweets, White Owl's, and Hav-A-Tampa smokes will probably get thrown at you, though... :sign:

The exception, of course, is the PacNW herf at B.B.S.'s house. We only smoke the very finest cigars here, so be sure to bring plenty.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Cherry flavored Prime Time's it is!! So, how many should I bring for ya?? :D

Right on with what the other guys have said.

Bring what you like and that you'd like to share with others. Never be ashamed of what you enjoy smoking. You never know if something you enjoy totally rocks someone else's world. Whip out the White Owls though, and you're on your own. :laugh:

For newer guys and guys with modest stashes, bring what you can smoke and maybe just a few more. Every herf I've been to, guys are shoving cigars in your face because they think they have something that you might really enjoy. :thumbs: Chances are, you may not end up smoking a single stick you brought.

Do not worry about trading if this is your first herf and you're new to cigars. That can come later. For now, just hang out, smoke some, drink/eat and enjoy the company. Oh, and ask questions. Cigar nuts just love to talk :sign: ;) :D

Wilkey

Not CC (Bill)!
He is a quiet wallflower.
And he loves grape White Owls...
Philly Blunts too but they need at least 2 years of age on them!

:sign:

-Rob

Those fruity smokes are all well and good, but the question is, who's man enough to smoke a RamRod during a herf?

For a closer look, point your mouse to the "click to enlarge" link. ;)

Wilkey

Great Advice everyone...taltos I wish you a great time at your first Herf! :thumbs:

And Wilkey that is just plain wrong lol :p

Great Advice everyone...taltos I wish you a great time at your first Herf! :thumbs:

And Wilkey that is just plain wrong lol :p

Shawn,

I think my next avatar line is going to be "Click to Enlarge." Of course it won't have a picture of my daughter there. :D

Wilkey

Those fruity smokes are all well and good, but the question is, who's man enough to smoke a RamRod during a herf?

Wilkey

omg that is hilarious. :laugh: I just couldn't stop laughing when I read that. Thanks Wilkey

Brandon

Wilkey

I'll step up! Who's got one??

Thanks guys, I have always been concerned with"doing the right thing". BTW, can I use the "click to enlarge" on my wife's boobs? Seems that it has already been used on my belly. Paul :rolleyes:

Cheers - B.B.S.
Yup, what they said. Be yourself. Smoke what you've got. I'm sure your tastes will change over time, but they are what they are now. When someone gifts you a cigar at a herf, there is no need to reciprocate an equal stick; that's why it is called a gifted cigar. At all the herfs I have been to I haven't "traded" any sticks; sticks just get passed on to fellow BOTLs. I think it is great that you are at least thinking this way; I'm not a fan of moochers. Keep that attitude and you'll get your chance to PIF. :thumbs:

I can agree with the above given advice due to my personal experience, especially looking back now. At my first herf, and even with a few bombs I sent out, I can't believe some of the stuff I thought was "good." The important part (and I do believe that the recipients of those cigars felt this way) is that I really was proud of the cigars I had given out. I loved them, they were the best that I had, and was so proud to be able to give some of them out. Now, I am almost embarassed at some of the cigars I sent out that I thought were "good!" I really think that it's not really what you give out, but the spirit in which it is given. Be yourself, and give out what you like. That's the important part, not the price tag. Have fun at your first herf. :thumbs:

I would also add "bring what you don't like as well". It's a goood chance to make some coolidor room. Over time I've collected a bunch of sticks that aren't my favorite. I often give them away at herfs and other group events.

A couple of points of behavior....

I like to give away my favorite smokes (many of them are very inexpensive) and I usually say "Here try one of these, it's one of my current favorites!".

I have given away cigars that I know nothing about with "You are welcome to any of these, I havent' smoked them myself...."

I also give away cigars that I've smoked and don't like with "Anybody want this, it's not my favorite".

Just be upfront about the cigar and your tastes. There are lots of cigars and lots of tastes, if you don't like it, somebody else will. Don't expect a 1:1 return on cigars or dollars. Most guys come home with a better stash than when they started, though...I've always felt that way and I've given away some pretty nice cigars.

Also, if somebody gifts you one, don't be afraid to (politely) decline with a "I've smoked this one and it just doesn't do much for me".

One more thing, whatever you are carrying your cigars in to the HERF, it's not big enough to carry all your cigars home! I have up-sized cigar caddies twice....I finally broke down and bought the 50 count one...it should come with a handle and wheels! Just "go big" at the beginnning and you won't end up owning 3 of them like me!

Good luck!

I would also add "bring what you don't like as well". It's a goood chance to make some coolidor room. Over time I've collected a bunch of sticks that aren't my favorite. I often give them away at herfs and other group events.

I like to give away my favorite smokes (many of them are very inexpensive) and I usually say "Here try one of these, it's one of my current favorites!".

I have given away cigars that I know nothing about with "You are welcome to any of these, I havent' smoked them myself...."

I also give away cigars that I've smoked and don't like with "Anybody want this, it's not my favorite".

Also, if somebody gifts you one, don't be afraid to (politely) decline with a "I've smoked this one and it just doesn't do much for me".

Good luck!

Good advice, Joe. :thumbs:

Wilkey