• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cleaning out the dust.

It has the option to connect up to 3 more fans. For not much. Others who own the humidification unit have suggested doing so is a must. I'm reading that many swear by beads for similar cabinets. I'm doing more reading. I may have to invest in way better options if this doesn't hold steady humidity.
Some people have said that this unit with added fans does the trick. We shall see.

C

I have that same one in my winador with 2# heartfelt beads and 2 fans. Works great for me but it is a smaller area.

Tell you what, after having my Staebell with active humidification I wouldn't use anything else. In a storage / aging cooler beads can work very well, but in a cabinet where you're in and out of it, leaving the door open while you load it or dig around in your smokes, you can do lots better.

The Avallo is quite good, lots of guys run it and have had good luck with it. Bob will sell you his system separately as well. Neither is cheap, but it's a 'buy once cry once' type of purchase.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole.
Watch the vids posted by this guy....

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole.
This seems like a setup for those who are really really concerned with their Humidors being at 70/70 and will accept nothing else.

Last edited:
Oi vey. I need to watch some more of his videos, but half his schtick is sales oriented. Little sublime comments to induce neurosis. Don't know if it's just transference of his own neurosis, or a conscious effort. Not disagreeing with the idea of consistency, but dang if he doesn't do a lot of mental masturbation.

This seems like a setup for those who are really really concerned with their Humidors being at 70/70 and will accept nothing else.

He is a mad scientist, for sure. His laboratory control approach definitely appeals to my OCD. Also, I'm a certified knob turner and button pusher, so I get giddy just looking at the controllers.

Oi vey. I need to watch some more of his videos, but half his schtick is sales oriented. Little sublime comments to induce neurosis. Don't know if it's just transference of his own neurosis, or a conscious effort. Not disagreeing with the idea of consistency, but dang if he doesn't do a lot of mental masturbation.

Ray is not a public speaker by any means. But his control logic is a product of his passion and not everyone can appreciate the level of control he is able to maintain.

I called him one evening, he is a true pleasure to talk to. He never once tried to sell me anything. In fact, he steered me away from it. Once I explained my home's interior climate, he talked me out of the cooling features I was looking at, and just gave me some fan advice.

Avello will likely be the way to go in this. I will have to await before picking it up as we just had more fun auto maintenance (routine do to mileage) stuff eat some budget. This time on the wife's vehicle.

Ray is not a public speaker by any means
That's good to hear. So, it sounds like it was just his ocd coming through. ;) As long as it's not a conscious effort to manipulate, I'm good with it. I.e., it's his truth, and it is based on real experience.

After doing some research, I've confirmed what I thought to be true. This find was a great deal. I paid $250. It is the:

Quality Importers Tower Humidor in Cherry with 5 shelves.

item # HUM-2000C-SHELF
Tower - Display Humidor 5 Shelves Cherry Finish AC Outlet (200).

Description from a vendor:

Same design as the Popular HUM-2000 Tower, without the 8 cedar drawers. Features a dual pane, tempered beveled glass door, gold plated lock and key with tassel, hidden piano hinges, plus: Holds up to 3000 Cigars Tempered Beveled Glass Door 1 Glass Hygrometer with Brass Frame 5 Shelves (3 adjustable) for Box Storage 5 Removable Trays with Dividers Corner Wheels for Ease of Movement Lined with Premium Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar Gold Plated Lock & Key, Knob and Hidden Piano Hinges 2 Interior A/C Outlets Available in Cherry Finish Does not include humidification. We recommend the HYDRA-LG Electronic Humidifier for this item.

The Avallo accumonitor will be installed within the year sometime.

I may have to install some foam or weather stripping, as I see near the top corner of the right side above where the hinges are some light that can shine through, not a great deal, but enough for me to want to add the extra insulation and assure a tight seal.
So far hygrometers read 78 at bottom where humidification unit is, 68 at middle shelf and 62 at top. It's been steady with those readings for about 3 days now. No mold or mineral build up noticed anywhere. I will be picking up 3lbs of hartfelt beads to add and help with the humidity stabilization.

Boxes, mostly empty, along with the few hundred singles I have, will be added tomorrow. Then the fun part. Watching the humidity levels fluctuate as space is taken up and cigars and boxes are introduced.

I will monitor the readings another week while it stabilizes with cigars being introduced.

Now, anyone recommend I pick up a replacement lock from anywhere in particular? Or is picking one up from Home Depot fine?

I see that it appears humidor keys are standard perhaps, and buying a replacement key is all I would need if I want to use the locking feature.

The cabinet has a lock but no key. Guy I bought it from said he had no idea where keys were.

Last edited:
Is the lock a simple Humidor type lock or does it look like a Tumbler Lock (like a home's front door lock)?
Two most common locks in cabinets are Cam Locks and Bolt locks
The Cam is type where the metal tab rotates into place, and the bolt has a slot cut into the frame, and the bolt engages from door to frame. Both are readily available at Home Improvement stores, but you have to know the door thickness, and if the back of the door is flush with the back of the frame.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to look at it closer tonight and verify if this is an actual lock key combo, or one I could simply replace the key with a standard humidor key.

I've also contacted Quality importers. They have informed me they will update me with pricing for a replacement lock/key. So if I feel the need for the lock, I'll probably pick it up from them.

I've never locked mine, but with small children around you never know!

With little kids in the house, it should also be anchored to the wall. My boys used to climb the bookcases when I wasn't looking....:eek:
Thankfully my girl isn't a climber of cabinets or tall furniture. The worst she does is jump on the couches, more of a pounce than a true, I'm gonna jump as hard as I can and F $hit up. I was exploring Velcro and button type strap anchoring. That may be the least intrusive option.