• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cleaning out the dust.

Quality importers is shipping me a replacement lock and key set. $8 shipped. Nice. Excellent customer service. Even sent me an image to confirm it would be what works. It appears exactly what will work. From the image, I'm glad I didn't order or pick up a skeleton key or standard humidor key as the lock/key actually appear to have unique teeth that work to lock the cabinet.

Since a Bovida is a 'two way' system, and will absorb excess humidity, you'd be ok to put a couple shot glasses of distilled water in there if you find the RH running low. Might be a good idea until things stabilize.

Hey C, your cabinet looks great!

Just a curious question, what's the point of the bovedas if you have an active humidification system?

Hey C, your cabinet looks great!

Just a curious question, what's the point of the bovedas if you have an active humidification system?
I'm neurotic. Plus my hope would be that they would prolong the period between water refills??? No idea. I guess they would act the same as beads. At this time I am without beads, but working on that.

I'm neurotic. Plus my hope would be that they would prolong the period between water refills??? No idea. I guess they would act the same as beads. At this time I am without beads, but working on that.
Use them as "Canaries"? If they start to dry out, something's wrong. haha.

I have several bags of beads in my Staebell as 'humidity ballast'.....seem to help a bit, particularly when the ambient RH is higher than the desired cabinet RH (think hot summer months).

I have several bags of beads in my Staebell as 'humidity ballast'.....seem to help a bit, particularly when the ambient RH is higher than the desired cabinet RH (think hot summer months).

That's what air conditioning is for....hot summer months = 72* @ 45%rh in house around the clock.

Replacement lock installed. Works great. Now no entry without keys! :)

Humidity has maintained after 3 days at steady levels. 60 up top, 65 mid area, 73 lower level by active humidification unit. Cabinet smells fantastic. Readings 2x a day. Am and Pm. Still need to get beads. Just to be on the safe side and see if indeed all 3 levels or areas stabilize at 65%. Which in my opinion is ideal. Since I don't want to fuss with ordering a replacement foam cartridge for the active humidification unit, every 3-6 months or so, I'm eventually going to get beads in there to replace the foam as has been discussed in another thread.

Last edited:
Humidor is looking good C. You have any fans in there to help circulate the humidity to stabilize it across the top and bottom?

Humidor is looking good C. You have any fans in there to help circulate the humidity to stabilize it across the top and bottom?
Need to pick up and attach some. Only fans, are the two in the humidification unit. I can add up to 3. So beads and at least 2 fans coming up next.

Very nice, hopefully that stabilizes it for you. Seem like you have the perfect location and are already filling it up nicely.
It's in the basement, away from light and vents. Temp readings have been consistently at 65 degrees, even during the 2 week seasoning process.