• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba authenticity

Would you be wanting to make mention of the shade of Gold "Fleck", the shade of Orange, or the embossing Wilkey?
What is it exactly about the embossing?

Wilkey

The "COHIBA" is raised/standing out on the authentic. Flat, and almost non-existent on the fake.

Not always the case. Mine are clearly fake yet COHIBA is raised. Sometimes closer inspection is needed though in my case, other obvious clues existed.

If I had an authentic band to compare it to - I'd likely have been able to spot the flaws. I'm an experienced graphic designer, and pretty savvy in that department. Kinda tough without a baseline, though. Thanks for the scan, John - very helpful. And Wilkey - thanks for pointing out possible inconsistencies.

If I had an authentic band to compare it to - I'd likely have been able to spot the flaws. I'm an experienced graphic designer, and pretty savvy in that department. Kinda tough without a baseline, though. Thanks for the scan, John - very helpful. And Wilkey - thanks for pointing out possible inconsistencies.

Hey JayBay have you ever thought of producing fake Cohiba bands? You'd probably do a better job than most fakes that I have seen. Just kidding of course!

Would you be wanting to make mention of the shade of Gold "Fleck", the shade of Orange, or the embossing Wilkey?
What is it exactly about the embossing?

Wilkey
The "COHIBA" is raised/standing out on the authentic. Flat, and almost non-existent on the fake.
It's hard to tell that from the photo. And besides, JayBay's fakes have prominent embossing. I was looking at the registration (alignment or trapping) of the gold emboss against the other printed elements. Often folks will wonder if a band that has mis-registered elements is indicative of inauthenticity. In fact, it is not at all uncommon to find authentic bands with various elements such as the emboss, color print, or gold out of register.

Wilkey

When you say out of register Wilkey, do you meant the alignment being off between the letters and the embossing?

In addition to the many things that have already been mentioned it is very coincidental that both sizes have the very same wrapper. This is quite unlikely but not impossible. Both exibit the same shade and oils. Considering that these are two different sizes and possibly would have been made in different factories(had they been real) it would be rare to see that exact match of wrappers.

Bob

In addition to the many things that have already been mentioned it is very coincidental that both sizes have the very same wrapper. This is quite unlikely but not impossible. Both exibit the same shade and oils. Considering that these are two different sizes and possibly would have been made in different factories(had they been real) it would be rare to see that exact match of wrappers.

Bob

That seems to be pretty common with the infamous "Miami Fakes" Bob. I've seen several examples of them, and they all seem to have that exact color and sheen wrapper. They all smell and smoke the same as well........Like they came from the bottom of a horse stall. :p

Hey JayBay have you ever thought of producing fake Cohiba bands? You'd probably do a better job than most fakes that I have seen. Just kidding of course!

Which raises the question... Is it unethical to produce fake Cohiba bands as a means to earn the money to buy real Cohiba's? ??? :laugh:

Bob

That seems to be pretty common with the infamous "Miami Fakes" Bob. I've seen several examples of them, and they all seem to have that exact color and sheen wrapper. They all smell and smoke the same as well........Like they came from the bottom of a horse stall. :p
Many times the wrapper quality of the fakes are better than the authentic cigars. The Miami fakes often have very good quality wrappers.

Bob

Bob

Many times the wrapper quality of the fakes are better than the authentic cigars. The Miami fakes often have very good quality wrappers.

Bob

I guess I should clarify that with the Cohiba's. I found them (wrappers) to be very poor quality. Very thin, and sickly, with poor taste to boot. Now I have some San Cristobal, and Monte Edmundo's that I kept after I learned about them being fakes. They actually are of good quality, and smoke exceptionally well.

There is quite a difference between todays counterfeiters and those from many years ago. Years ago cigars were made with anything they could roll into a cigar and didn't care about the taste or quality what so ever. They were in it to make a fast buck knowing that you would never buy from them again after smoking them.
Todays counterfeiters are tring to make cigars of good quality so that you will be a repeat customer. Many of todays counterfeits are not bad smokes as they aquire good leaf, as well as good rollers and blenders. These are sophisticated well organized large operations not like the small guy looking to sell a few boxes.These guys sell thousands of boxes. As always buy from a trusted source. Cigars that are gifted with good intentions are often found to be fake when they themselves are uninformed about counterfiting. With a little luck these cigars will be marginably ok.

Bob

You make a good point about the color of the wrapper Bob.

About a year ago my niece's husband, who I often give cigars, came back from Mexico with a bunch of different Marca's and vitolas. Every cigar had the the same looking
wrapper.

He spent a lot of bucks and unfortunately, I had to tell him, it was awkward.

Brian

You make a good point about the color of the wrapper Bob.

About a year ago my niece's husband, who I often give cigars, came back from Mexico with a bunch of different Marca's and vitolas. Every cigar had the the same looking
wrapper.

He spent a lot of bucks and unfortunately, I had to tell him, it was awkward.

Brian

Sadly Brian I too have had the awkward position of informing friends that what they purchased was no good.

Bob

yes, the counterfeiters we are encountering down here, from veracruz, and costa rica(i was actually shown a box, by a cuban expat labelled vr unicos that contained parejos), are presenting finer samples than in the past. still plenty of crap-under-glass, but more and more examples of actual cigars are arriving from central america and from cuba.

however, i have seen about 500 faux cohibas, and there is no fake cohiba that i have seen that has evidenced anywhere near the authentic cohiba quality. the wrappers on the cohiba lines are a fantastic carmel tan that does not show up in falsos.

i agree with wilkey, and others who understand that there is a difference between printing variants in a mass produced label and poorly printed labels. cigar assembly and packaging oversight seem to have improved dramatically, in havana in the last few years, but it is not a perfect process.

ironically, the cohiba is the most copied cigar and the easiest copy to detect. the best way for most to judge an authentic cohiba is to look for cigar quality, good firm construction, with even fill and a golden wrapper. sure the boxes are easy to catch, with their poorly painted clasps, and hinges that pierce the back of the box bottom. i also look at the cedar dividers. they never seem to focus attention on getting that element right. the cohiba should speak for itself. it has a wow factor that can not be easily copied.

the cohiba has to pass a higher visual standard and 99% of the time it does.

cheers
drew p

That looks familiar :laugh:

Besides the wrapper being too dark Wilkey....................
bands-1.jpg

They could be real cuban COHIBA's with some fake bands.

Ya know, these guys passing off fake bands really are a bother!

;)

They could be real cuban COHIBA's with some fake bands.

Ya know, these guys passing off fake bands really are a bother!

;)
You can't go wrong with a positive attitude. :cool:

Brian