• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba - Draw always sucks

Glad to hear it's not just me. The cigar I'm speaking of is a Sig VI. The humiditiy is already at 65% in the cooler. Maybe these guys just need some more age on them. I'll leave it out for at least a few hours prior to smoking next time, though I think I'll just let them age for now. Thanks for all of the advice.

If you just kind of 'zen' it out you and make a mental adjustment you can still find these enjoyable. Yes, tighter draw, less volume of smoke, but still very enjoyable, a different smoking experience. Relax and soak it up for what it is.

Excellent point, Tom.

It's easy for the smoker to become antagonistic toward a cigar that smokes tightly. This often only gets worse as the cigar progresses and one finds himself cussing and pulling ever harder in frustration.

A few times I have "zenned out" by drawing as I normally would and allowing the cigar to deliver whatever it would deliver in response. The smoke volume always diminishes and the flavors also become more muted and subtle but the cigar can be enjoyed. I do find that sometimes it is hard to keep the cigar burning under these conditions so to combat this tendency to extinguish, every few gentle draws is followed by a deeper, harder draw to keep the coal going.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is an advanced, heads-up technique that can often salvage a cigar that might otherwise go right into the garbage can.

Wilkey

My last one from '05 had a terrible draw. So I tossed it half-way and grabbed one from'01 that drew like a dream.

Interesting - I'd have expected the exact opposite to be true.

It might help to know which vitola you're talking about. Thinner cigars are more susceptible to tightness. The notion of lowering your humidity to 65% or lower is a good one if you haven't already done it.

Ah sorry, they were both siglo IVs.

The key is low humidity. I've found that even at 65% you may still have draw problems. At 60% they are virtually eliminated. Age also helps.

As a rule I stay away from them. Very incosistent from year to year.

My last one from '05 had a terrible draw. So I tossed it half-way and grabbed one from'01 that drew like a dream.

Interesting - I'd have expected the exact opposite to be true.

It might help to know which vitola you're talking about. Thinner cigars are more susceptible to tightness. The notion of lowering your humidity to 65% or lower is a good one if you haven't already done it.

Ah sorry, they were both siglo IVs.

Yup I had a few IV's a couple of weeks ago, ACK terrible draw... but I still enjoyed them....

WTH?

Are you serious about this?

3. If you do drybox, just before you smoke, you might try passing the cigar quickly under a gentle stream of water (filtered is best if you have a highly chlorinated municipal source) to "freshen" the wrapper.

Wilkey