• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba piece of string insice one.

lost again

I bought a box of Cohiba Siglo IV Box 5x5's cigars from a hong kong retailer which I am having problems smoking. Ive tried three so far but the draw is so tight I can't smoke them. After biting into the nub of one I found a piece of black string, that can't be right?

One thing I have to say is they do look good very good in fact but the tobacco seems to be rolled very tight. I'm new to cigar smoking but have smoked a few Cohiba's and these smoke nothing like any others ive smoked.

Ive e-mailed the retailer I hope to get a reply with any help about why they are like this or maybe you can help?

Like I said i'm new to smoking cigars and like to smoke one a day and don't want to lose $300 and 25 cigars!

:)

BTW I'm in the UK.

heh string in a cohiba, sounds like you have a fake.

That doesn't sound good! Might have a batch of fakes.

Hop on over to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome to the boards, we're glad to have you!

Thanks for the help i'll try and post some pics maybe tomorrow and hope the retailer can offer some advice also.

Hmm,

I've never heard of an authenticity problem with this vendor. Let me know if you would like me to host your pictures.

Wilkey

Sorry but my camera and my skills are not that good.

String! this was in the center of one of the cigars.
string.jpg
c2.jpg

c8.jpg
box
p2.jpg

Thanks to the eveyone that sent me a message about the vendor i,m glad to hear there should be no problems there.

Ginseng said:
Hmm,
I've never heard of an authenticity problem with this vendor.
Wilkey
[snapback]298411[/snapback]​

I have to retract this statement for the time being.

Somebody has to say it.

You're not just stringing us along are you?

A "cigar poker" is about the only cure for an overly tight draw.

Yes....I'd like to know the outcome of the email to the vendor, as I've never had a problem with that vendor, either...

Hopefully this was a fluke, not the start of something baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

ffopusxff said:
Hopefully this was a fluke, not the start of something baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
[snapback]298485[/snapback]​

Exactly...that woudl be a whole lot of no effing good.

Just to clarify,
No i'm not stringing anyone along.

I have not been smoking cigars that long.
I bought 5 boxes of five Siglo IV all the packaging was immaculate and unopened
I tried to smoke one but it was a difficult, i thought i was just unlucky and got a dud.

Next day i tried another one which was worse and had the string in it, i tried another one right after it and could only smoke 1/3 of it. there was no string in that one.

I had bought a Siglo IV from a local vender ( £15 = $26 for one stick here :( ) and smoked it to compare them, all i can say is the one i bought from the local vender was a total different smoke. Very open and easy draw, almost to open.

I think i should say that i'm not saying they are fakes. I'm not qualified to say that, just that maybe something is not right with the ones i tried.

All i can do now is wait for the e-mail reply.

how long did youlet the cigars sit? befor smoking it.
Let them recover from travel. and make sure they sit iin a 65% rh. Might be the cigars are overly moist thus making it hard to draw.

AVB said:
Somebody has to say it.

You're not just stringing us along are you?

A "cigar poker" is about the only cure for an overly tight draw.
[snapback]298476[/snapback]​

got a drawpoker enroute..as for a fake..though i am no authority, i believe the cohiba label should be white squares and not white circles

Most of the time the cigars from the hong kong vendor are way too humid. They generally need to be dried out for a minimum of a month or so at 58-62 percent humidity. Having said that, if the cigar is plugged, not just tight,then no amount of drying will fix that. I recommend cutting another 6-10 cigars and see if they are also plugged. If so then I would ask for another box to be sent out.

It is very possible you got a bad box, I have seen all kinds of bad boxes over the years from Cuba and they were all real. Their quality control sucks so getting a box with more than half being plugged is not an anomoly.

I just want to clarify, I'm not particularly concerned that there is a problem. I'm just doing a little checking around. A tight draw is certainly not a rare occurence as a recent cab of SIg VI I received are fairly tight. But I do expect that they'll loosen up with age. And as TM suggested, a wet, tightly rolled stick will be tight. As for string, the leaves are tied in bundles with string/rope throughout the early processing of the tobacco and it does not seem inconceivable to me that a small fragment may have adhered to a vein and escaped notice.

I recently received two boxes from this vendor and I'm satisfied with what I have.

Everyone sit tight and relax.

Wilkey

well im a total noob though but when i looked at my cohiba box thier were white squares not circles like what cgarlvr said but when i had my siglo I the draw was really tight

hobbes1 said:
well im a total noob though but when i looked at my cohiba box thier were white squares not circles like what cgarlvr said but when i had my siglo I the draw was really tight
[snapback]298543[/snapback]​

I think the picture is just fuzzy.

Mrepp said:
heh string in a cohiba, sounds like you have a fake.
[snapback]298356[/snapback]​

It's not necessarily fake, it's possible that its the string they use to hold the tobacco leaves together but... for a brand like Cohiba, it seems pretty unlikely that'd get past the QA folks.