• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cold smoking salmon

siriusstoogie

Bellus Filipinus Vir! :)
This evening, I'm cold smoking a salmon fillet that I brined with salt and sugar mixture since yesterday. I did a DIY cold smoker. I'm using apple wood chips. I am hopeful that this will turn out good for the bagel and lox breakfast i have in mind tomorrow! [emoji14]

For the more seasoned cold smoker out there, any tips? I made a Venturi type smoker using an aquarium pump. Total cost for me is ~$20 bucks.

Happy New Year!

Best,

Joe

I just use a 50/50 mixture of brown sugar and pickling salt. Then I immerse the salmon meat skin in all in the mixture overnight so huge amounts of moisture get pulled out of the fish. Then I either cold smoke, or an incremental temp smoke.  

Of course..... Never use farm raised salmon. ;)

Thanks John! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Salmon tasted very good! I also smoked a quarter ball of Edam. So far I am not complaining.

How was the Venturi, did it work out for you. I saw your post and you stated it was tasty. I found that those Venturi's can throw a ton of smoke.
A shit load of a matter of fact. Too smoky for most appilcation in MHO. Thoughts?

It worked fine. I have a pump for a 30 gallon tank and it blows relatively weak. I also smoke the salmon for 4 hrs and the cheese for 2hrs. I was using apple woodchips, too. I bet with longer smoking time and the type of wood will be factors.