• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colibri Lighter Repair

Peeejster

So awhile back I came across a pair of Colibri lighters that had been pretty heavily used but still functioned for dirt cheap. I used them both for a bit and eventually they both stopped working. I had intended to send them in for repairs (in an envelope on my desk waiting to go to USPS) and then I heard about the bankruptcy. Any ideas about another route to get them repaired?
I'm particularly concerned about this one because it may just need a new flint, i don't know. either way it probably needs to be cleaned anyway.

The other lighter is a small cigarette lighter (couldn't find it online, but it's basically a MUCH simpler version of this - no beam no fliptop non torch), so I'm not as concerned about that one. It's great for cigarillos but that's about it. In fact, if anyone wants it let me know...

Anyway like I said before I'd like to have the other one repaired but don't know where to turn. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

-PJ

It's anyone's guess. Lotus was in talks to carry on their warranty, but talks fell through and now there is no one who will be repairing Colibris. If you have a flint lighter, you probably only need a new flint. You can use any flint that fits....doesnt' have to be a Colibri. These are their most dependable lighters. Take it apart and replace the flint. You should be OK.

I heard the same thing Israel did, Lotus was going to cover and now they aren't. I was talking to someone the other day and they said nobody would be picking up warranty due to a high number of probable claims.

I would try and take it apart yourself, clean it and then replace the flint. You could probably even take it in to an old retailer and the could probably help you out as well.

LINKY

I'm sure the repair center will handle it...but the warranty may be void since the company is GONE!

Nevermind! :blush:

I was fowarded news that Xikar is setting up a deal with Colibri to offer warranty relief.
Also I was told that Xikar will be giving 20% discount for Xikar accessories in exchange of old Colibri Lighters.
Hope this is true.

I was fowarded news that Xikar is setting up a deal with Colibri to offer warranty relief.
Also I was told that Xikar will be giving 20% discount for Xikar accessories in exchange of old Colibri Lighters.
Hope this is true.

On Xikar's website they have coupon for the 20% off with a Colibri trade in.

Personally, I just bought a Blazer today and have relegated my dysfunctional Colibri's to knick-knack/paperweight duties.

If it were me I'd try to take it apart and fix it, but since you got it for dirt cheap I wouldn't necessarily be upset if I couldn't' fix it. There are many lighters out there that can be found cheap for a replacement.

If it were me I'd try to take it apart and fix it, but since you got it for dirt cheap I wouldn't necessarily be upset if I couldn't' fix it. There are many lighters out there that can be found cheap for a replacement.

True. I currently have a basic $20 torch that does the job, but I just feel bad giving up on a $120 lighter. I figure if I wait it out eventually someone online will start offering repair services - it's not like they're going to stop breaking. I assume there aren't any I can find now because everyone went through Colibri and there wasn't any demand for third party repairs.

You could always try going to a local B&M to see if any of the FOGS that work there are familiar with the Colibri lighter, and even if they aren't they might know of someone who is who could fix it for you. Just a thought.

If you just want repairs, contact Richard at Strike a Light. I purchased a used Colibri from him a while back and when it stopped lighting a couple weeks later he could not have been more helpful in getting the situation fixed. It's international shipping, but I would highly recommend him.

Link

Edit to add link.

Strike a light used to sell on Ebay too. They worked for awhile but they are colibiri after all.

Hope this is true.

Ahhh! Finally a use for my non-functioning Colibri :thumbs:

If you just want repairs, contact Richard at Strike a Light. I purchased a used Colibri from him a while back and when it stopped lighting a couple weeks later he could not have been more helpful in getting the situation fixed. It's international shipping, but I would highly recommend him.

Link

Edit to add link.

Thanks, I think I'm going to give that a try...

You could always try going to a local B&M to see if any of the FOGS that work there are familiar with the Colibri lighter, and even if they aren't they might know of someone who is who could fix it for you. Just a thought.

Has anyone taken apart lighters before? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards just shipping it away but if this isn't terribly difficult I might just do it (I'm pretty mechanically inclined) Anyway thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with it as God did not gift me with the availability to take things apart and put them together properly. I'm sure there is someone here who has taken a lighter apart though.

Depending on the lighter, there might be more moving parts than you think...I've attempted this a few times with a small success rate. Nonetheless, it is fun to try!

FYI: this offer is still available if you are still having problems. Here is a link to download/print the coupon:

http://www.xikar.com/images/news/colibri-coupon-final.pdf

Thanks for this Xikar. Printing some coupons out for my customers now.

No problem! And THANK YOU for helping out these guys!

- Andy O'Dower (marketing guy)

So I took a gamble and took apart both of them. The CEO version I was able to scrub everything with an old toothbrush and a but of vodka and then hit with compressed air. I also took out the flint and added a new one. I paid particular attention to the metal striker, because it was sooted over pretty bad and I think that and the flint were the problem. I managed to put it all back together and it works like new, nice big spark and a gorgeous dual flame.

As for the small cigarette lighter, once i took it apart I saw there was a crack in the plastic casing (where the butane goes) - not good. The spark was good but I had bled it awhile back (for shipping) so I tried to refill and butane shot out the crack. I tried to fill it with superglue, but I'm not sure if the glue can withstand the pressure - and I'm not sure that thats a risk I want to take (read hand-grenade). After the glue dries I'm going to add a VERY little bit of butane and see if it lights. If so, I'll probably fill it up with gas and let it sit for a few weeks and see how the glue holds up. Either way, I won't get too upset, now this is just something to tinker with...However, I am VERY excited about getting the other one up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone else has similar problems, I'd be more than happy to try to help.

So I took a gamble and took apart both of them. The CEO version I was able to scrub everything with an old toothbrush and a but of vodka and then hit with compressed air. I also took out the flint and added a new one. I paid particular attention to the metal striker, because it was sooted over pretty bad and I think that and the flint were the problem. I managed to put it all back together and it works like new, nice big spark and a gorgeous dual flame.

As for the small cigarette lighter, once i took it apart I saw there was a crack in the plastic casing (where the butane goes) - not good. The spark was good but I had bled it awhile back (for shipping) so I tried to refill and butane shot out the crack. I tried to fill it with superglue, but I'm not sure if the glue can withstand the pressure - and I'm not sure that thats a risk I want to take (read hand-grenade). After the glue dries I'm going to add a VERY little bit of butane and see if it lights. If so, I'll probably fill it up with gas and let it sit for a few weeks and see how the glue holds up. Either way, I won't get too upset, now this is just something to tinker with...However, I am VERY excited about getting the other one up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone else has similar problems, I'd be more than happy to try to help.

Good work man, glad to hear that you were able to fix the one you were worried about!