• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Competition open to all, linked to...

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
This competition, for 5 premium smokes, is linked to Insight's (Phil) pass HERE.
You will be judged solely by Insight whom I am told, will send you a very nice package. Phil will post a deadline day/time...good luck!

Rules...

Open to anyone.
One post each.

The competition...
Disregarding all that has already been written and documented in CP archives on the subject, what in your mind best describes or constitutes a FOG.
The best (serious) explanation, which must be at least 50 words but no longer than 100 words, will win.

Brian

My definition of a FOG would be someone that's been here on CP close to the time of it's conception. These members had a lot to do with shaping this forum into what you see today with both the written, and unwritten rule(s). They've been here long enough to see it all, spotting trouble before 95% us even have a clue.

This is a person who does not care about this stature, title, or post count. But, rather doing what is necessary to protect this board behind the scenes mostly, out in the open when it's needed.

My definition would be that of one who is a predecessor. Someone who has put time and effort into upholding the the true essence of this community. One who is not about what can I get from CP but what can I do for CP. Someone how can be looked to for direction and can be trusted and willing to share his or her experience with the rest so all can benifit from it.

Brian

Deadline will be when the pass gets to Gary.

Well to me FOG could stand for so many things F*cking old guy, Fat Old Guy, and even Friendly Old Guy. But to me I find myself going back to FOG as F*ucking Old Guy. It is the original and well it works so well. Noted Old guys abound on this site and all of them are loved. There are the times when they get grumpy and well deserve the FOG title. And times when all they need is a stiff drink and a smoke. I think the FOG’s are a great part of the site and are needed. rp

Pronunciation: \ˈfȯg, fäg\

Function: noun

Etymology: probably back-formation from foggy

Date: 1544

1 a: vapor condensed to fine particles of water suspended in the lower atmosphere that differs from cloud only in being near the ground b: a fine spray or a foam for firefighting
2: a murky condition of the atmosphere or a substance causing it
3 a: a state of confusion or bewilderment <spent the morning in a fog>
b: something that confuses or obscures <hid behind a fog of rhetoric>
4: cloudiness or partial opacity in a developed photographic image caused by chemical action or stray radiation.

Or: F*cking Old Guy.
Re: DevilDoc, Infinity,AVB and every other CP member over 60. :laugh:

It stands for Fragile Oblong Gangplank, in actuality. The term originated on the decks of Edward Teach's (Blackbeard's) ship: the Queen Anne's Revenge. Apparently, the ship was docked at Tortuga for months on end, the pirates spending their ill-gotten gold on cheap rum and prostitutes. Captain Benjamin Hornigold, pirate, turned privateer, turned pirate hunter sailed into Tortuga and stumbled upon Blackbeard's moored vessel totally bereft of crew and captain, and decided to lead his hardened soldiers aboard to set a trap for the crew when they returned.
Unfortunately, the gangplank they used to board the vessel was rather dilapidated, as well as being perched rather precipitously on the shore (no doubt the handiwork of a sloppy, rum-riddled crew). Captain Benjamin, sword drawn and cold grin in place, hurriedly approached the ship guiding his troops eagerly. Perhaps he was too hasty in his approach, or maybe the gangplank was ready to flip no matter the care used... but Captain Benjamin found himself floating next to the hull of the ship in the freezing night time ocean, soggy crew and broken gangplank along for the dip. He screamed 'Fragile Oblong Gangplank!' at the top of his voice, alerting the nearby pirate sentries (who had been napping in a rum-soaked stupor).
Before they could recover, Captain Benjamin's crew were surrounded and taken prisoner by the dirty, drunken pirates. Over time, after prolonged torture and imprisonment, the pirate hunters were conscripted to work the decks of the Queen Anne's Revenge. Blackbeard exploited their expert fighting abilities by using the soldiers as the first wave of attackers on unsuspecting traders. They quickly earned a reputation as some of the toughest pirate fighters around.
Unfortunately, the noble Captain Benjamin was not content serving under Blackbeard, and one botched escape attempt later, he found himself being forced to walk the plank. Realizing escape was not possible, Captain Benjamin Hornigold decided to face his fate like a man, and show no fear. He took a steady step forward, and cried out in shock as the plank gave way before him. He took a second surprise plunge into the salty sea, and he hit the water in chorus to 'Fragile Oblong Gangplank' and cackling laughter.

The established members adopted the title of FOG, due to their excellent ability at fighting dodgy traders and their cranky, swashbuckling nature. Also, it is a reminder to watch your step when you are going somewhere new, because you never know when you are going to encounter a Fragile Oblong Gangpank and plunge head first into the murky waters of the 'banned'

Can you believe the crap they write down under? What is it with you guys? Oh well, we can't help standing on your heads all the time I guess, the flat spots are reacting. :laugh:

Mate, two words for you, Fugg off! :laugh: and BTW, none of the guys you mentioned above are anywhere near 60...DICK! :sign:

Brian

To me a FOG is someone who has been here at CP for a long time. They freely give of their time and effort to make this the best community on the internet. They not only protect us newer members from trolls and people that would like to prey on us, but also guide us in parts of this hobby that we do not have a good grasp on.

They are people that lay the smack down when needed. They are also very kind(a lot of stuff goes on behind the sences that we never hear about). So basically a FOG is one who will protect CP and to help us forge into the the future to be not only the best cigar community but the best community on the internet.

To me, a FOG is an established, respected member of the forum.

It isn't an automatic designation conferred simply based on post count or the capriciousness of stumbling onto CP during its infancy, but rather a title that grows out of respect earned through fair, honest, helpful and thoughtful actions on both an individual and a forum-wide basis.

Like E.F. Hutton, when a FOG talks, people listen.

Can you believe the crap they write down under? What is it with you guys? Oh well, we can't help standing on your heads all the time I guess, the flat spots are reacting. :laugh:

Mate, two words for you, Fugg off! :laugh: and BTW, none of the guys you mentioned above are anywhere near 60...DICK! :sign:

Brian

RALMFAO :laugh:
cid_3808E5AA836949208CB45AD94ED14B9.jpg

Edit to add pic

Prologue:

About 12 years ago, during my graduation from Airborne School, my Black Hat pulled me to the side at told me a bit of information that has stuck with me to this day

“Remember these 3 things Airborne; feet and knees together, remember those who came before you, and ¾ of the world is covered with water, the rest is Drop Zone.”

Definition:

Remember those who came before you. This is where my definition of a FOG starts. They are mentors, teachers, disciplinarians, our best friends, and worst nightmares. They are the ones we should be asking for help, information, and wisdom. They might not know it all, but they no more about “it” than we do and deserve some respect. They may not always be right, and they may not always agree. They are, however, the patriarchs of this Family. And what family does not have a little bit of dysfunction?

Tim

Bump...wow, nobody wants a premium fiver...mmmm ??? ???

Brian

What is the true meaning of FOG other than the obvious acronym for Fuggin' Ol' Guy? I've actually pondered this myself since my arrival here at CP, keeping in mind the relative short time I've been acquainted with the term. Yes, please don't kill me for my relative naivete' on the matter but I intentionally skipped the other entries in this thread until I had written my own. Please excuse the length. It's not an easy topic to cover in few words.

In my opinion, FOG, as it is used here, is a term of endearment, no matter how derogatory the term may seem to be used at times. They are usually someone who is long tenured and possess many qualities and talents while being wise enough to know when and how to use those attributes.

A FOG is part administrator combined with a small dose of reality. They are often asked to share their knowledge on matters of protocol and tradition. Those thoughts and comments therefore tend to carry more weight when discussing matters of importance than those of others who may chime in.

A FOG is also a watchdog, someone who keeps an eye out for the safety and security of a particular social circle and its members. When a problem is brought to the forefront, it is the FOG who the others will look to for direction and guidance.

Finally, a FOG will sometimes be pressed into being mediator in matters of dispute. A wise and learned FOG will be the one who can resolve an issue in a way that is acceptable to all (or at least most of) the parties, while at the same time, not compromising the framework and traditions that have been established.

A FOG is not elected nor may he earn the title by default. Becoming a FOG is a progression that cannot be "shortcutted". It must be earned by gaining the respect of others through integrity, wisdom and humility. I dare say, most FOG’s probably do not even consider themselves to be one.

Very nice contest. Thanks for letting me play.

I'll take a stab since you issued the challenge.

Fog

F'n Old Guy (in other words, a long time member, usually several years or more)

What constitutes A "fog" is someone with more knowledge than yourself. It is someone you can learn from, look to for advice, and someone who has earned the trust of the community. It doesn't matter what their post count is or if they agree with everyone else. They are the fathers of the board and someone we would want to follow in their lead. They are the backbone of the board allowing the entity to move freely, but with restrictions. They are the individuals in a community that make it grow due to their dedication and participation.

Thank You,

Rich