• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

confused about cigar flavor generator

CI used to have a "build your own cigar" thing available. I don't know if it's still going on, but you could test the profile differences fairly easily. It is something I have studied, but decided didn't matter. I enjoy the finished product and am more than happy to leave the blend to the professionals. :thumbs:

www.cigarsinternational.com/blendlab/

Edit: Spelling, add link

Gavin, I like your tip more so since I have an 8-5-8 nat, 8-5-8 mad, 8-5-8 SG and even the 8-5-8 Rosato. Right now, of the four, the SG gets my vote. More flavorful than the maddie, and to me, the Rosato was milder than the maddie.

I will however for the sake of this threat, strip off an inch from the foot of each one and report back here.

Hi you guys,

OK here is the newbie. I am kind of confused about what area of the cigar generates the most flavor. I have read once that "categorically" the Wrapper is where the most flavor comes from. Also I read the "categorically" the wrapper is not the most flavor producer in a cigar. I have assumed that since the wrapper is what? 5% of the cigar it should not be that big on the final flavor. I have also noticed that the wrapper is the only one that is called by name and last name, they only mention the country of origin for the filer and binder. Why the importance of the wrapper above the other two components? Is it the wrapper the most important flavor giver? should I classified cigar on my cigar log by wrapper, or by the entire denomination? Any help about flavor would be really appreciate.

Thank you

Alfredo

You may want to include "age" in your log as aging also has an impact on cigar flavor. Some tobacco's are affected mored than others by aging in my opinion.

That's how I cut my cigars, but it's important to note that you should probably moisten the cap before you do this. Otherwise you could unravel the cigar. I know this first hand. :angry:
He's talking about taking in inch of wrapper off the foot of the cigar, shaggy style. Then smoking it and seeing how it changes as you move back into the part of the cigar that still has a wrapper.

I assume you don't cut your cigars that way... :)

You don't know Clint very well, do you?

I just ran across this tip:
Take your cigar, and a double guillotine cutter, placing the cigar inside the cutter, with it positioned about an inch up from the foot. Place just enough pressure on the cutter blades to make a shallow cut on the wrapper. Rotate the cutter with the blades at this depth to make sure the cut goes evenly around the circumference. Peel the wrapper off from the foot. You should now have an exposed foot cigar. Light up, and take note of the flavor before you hit the wrapper and after. I think of it like stripping wires for electrical work.

Info lifted from www.cigarmohel.com.

After what jfeids had to say about the Padron 2000 Maduro and Natural be very similar in taste profile I squashed the idea of smoke the 2 at the same time to see the difference in flavor. I then read the tip that Gavin had posted about “stripping the first inch of the wrapper off and smoking it. This to me was a great idea so I went that route. I stuck with my favorite being the Maduro 2000 one because I love them and two because I have smoke more of those than any other cigar. I figured I would notice any difference in taste because of my love for this cigar.
gallery_13257_1492_687376.jpg

Like said in the tip Gavin posted I “stripped” the first section of the stick.

gallery_13257_1492_386821.jpg

After lighting it up I immediately noticed a difference in the flavor profile. To me the stick was very bland with almost no flavor at all. At one point I got a very slight hint of some spice but that was it. The cigar was drying my mouth out extremely. If this was the flavor of any cigar I would have tossed it. It had very little smoke almost non and the burn was all over the place.

gallery_13257_1492_590536.jpg

Once I hit the wrapper section of the cigar I was actually shocked by the extreme change in the flavor profile. Everything that I love about the Maduro 2000 showed up and reminded me of why I love this smoke so much. The coco flavor and the very smooth creamy smoke. My mouth began to moisten up again and the entire bland flavor was gone. All in all I was completely shocked at how much of the flavor profile was in the wrapper. If you are curious I suggest you give it a try this is just my finding and I am by no means a pro. I am just one tall a$$ newbie in this crazy cigar world! :laugh:

Wow, that's a great comparison and pics to go along with it. I may try that with one of my smaller ring cigars next time. I don't think I can harm a Padron like that, though! :)

Cool! I may have to give this a go just for kicks.

BTW......... Just how tall are you Paul?

Great job Paul. I think I will take your word for it and enjoy my whole 3000. :laugh:

That was a really cool experiment Paul. I might have to try that with one or two of the cigars in my stash.

There is also sticks from La Aurora that does this for you with their La Aurora 1495 Series Connoisseur Selection
here is what they say on their website
"you have the opportunity to determinate the contribution of the different wrappers from the same blend as the greatest masters blenders of La Aurora do every day. In a new special presentation of 5 cigars, so nobody remains without judging.

Wrapper: Ecuadorian, Connecticut, Cameroon, Brazil and Corojo.
Binder: Dominican.
Filler: Nicaragua, Piloto Cubano and Peruvian.
Sizes: Robusto

Presentation: Boxes of 5 units

i actually have these but never smoked them in succession so never really put together the difference

This is why I don't believe the wrapper hype - LINKY.

quote from the thread:
In short: a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper over a very mild filler blend could dominate a cigar’s flavor, but a Connecticut shade wrapper over a full-bodied filler certainly would not.

I believe this has been discussed on CP as well! ;)

I share Gary's sentiment that cigars are a virtual rubik's cube with the colors representing the various types of tobacco, aging/curing, minerals in the ground seasonal impact on the cigar....etc. The combination of the filler, binder and wrapper all contribute to the flavor profile of the cigar. It is understandable that the taste would be different when you just burn the filler and binder, you are burning I higher concentration of the two specific tobaccos. Just because the flavor changes when you start burning the wrapper doesn't mean that it contributes more than the other 2. It just adds to the combination and changes the overall experience.

I think that part of the reason for the additional flavor contribution of the wrapper (above and beyone the percentage of total tobacco it represents) can also be attributed to the fact that the wrapper is in direct contact with your lips and tongue. (Not that you are tonguing the cigars when they are in your mouth, but there is some contact and there is also some trasfer of wrapper flavors to your tongue via saliva).

I conducted an experiment a while back on another private forum. I ordered a bundle of 4x4 Lonsdales. I left some as they came (Conn Shade), and had others rewrapped by a cigar company with Maduro, Corojo, and Sumatra. Each tasting group member was sent the four versions and asked to smoke and review the four noting the difference the wrapper made on the same cigar.

I wish I could find the data somewhere... It was amazing that some people would like or dislike a cigar based upon the chage in wrapper alone.

This is always an intersting topic! :)