• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Conscious Cigar Smoking

Pompous Pugs

...not trying to make this political
(moderator if you feel it is then feel free to delete this thread)

But I am curious to hear from those folks who have toured the cigar factories about working conditions.

I have tried to do some research on the net, but the fact that since these places are overseas there is little information, and one would expect little regulation about the factories.

The only things I could find were
generic comments about Bermejo providing exceptional care for their workers.
Also found a site claiming that in Cuba expert cigar rollers make $35/hour.

The pictures I have seen on here from folks who have toured the factories made me wonder if it is possible to be a conscious cigar smoker, kinda of like the popularity of "Free Trade" coffee.

You know, like somehow smoking for a bigger purpose than just myself. :D

peace,
pugs

From what I understand the working conditions aren’t an issue. Unlike coffee and other mech cigars aren’t a rushed production (usually). I couldn’t imaging there being much in the way of health risks since there’s hardly any chemicals (some used in box making). Rule of thumb if there’s no complaints it’s not an issue. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I'm more concerned about how little teachers in the US are paid, but that's just me.

bfreebern said:
I'm more concerned about how little teachers in the US are paid, but that's just me.
[snapback]271002[/snapback]​

A HUGE amen to that brutha.

bfreebern said:

Bah, I don’t know about other schools but the district I went to they where paid 38 starting. As an avg they where paid 50-60 a year plus they get the summer off. So if you figure that amount into it, they get paid well imo.

bfreebern said:

I'm with you on that one. My wife is a teacher.

Mrepp said:
Bah, I don’t know about other schools but the district I went to they where paid 38 starting. As an avg they where paid 50-60 a year plus they get the summer off. So if you figure that amount into it, they get paid well imo.
[snapback]271006[/snapback]​

Ignorance is bliss...education today is taken for granted and not nearly as valued as it should be...IMO.

Don't even get me started on what college professors have to start out with, especially in the sciences!

Edited for spelling.

I hear the door opening....

Thanks for the initial response--
But just because there is silence doesn't always mean things are peachy(Southern for "good").

The article that claimed Cuban Rollers were making 35/hr (not sure the currency) were saying nurses and dr in Cuba were making 20-25/hr.

I find that interesting.

I always try to smoke my cigars while I'm concious. I find I get less ash on my suits that way.

bchem said:
Mrepp said:

Ignorance is bliss...education today is taken for granted and not nearly as valued as it should be...IMO.

Don't even get me started on what college professors have to start out with, especially in the sciences!

Edited for spelling.
[snapback]271015[/snapback]​

Well I’m sorry we disagree bchem, but to be honest I don’t appreciate being called ignorant. That truly is the wedge of the Germantown School district here in Wisconsin. I’ve been a T.A before and even taught class a few times while that teacher was out, its not easy by any means I agree. As I’m sure teachers else where are underpaid, unfortunately we see teaching is something other then what it really is. It’s a job. If one is unhappy with their current rate of pay they should do what anyone else dose, try to get their pay raised, bite the bullet and deal with the pay or seek alternative employment. Also here the local Tech Collage Professors get paid 80-100 a year. I just can’t see teachers in a public school system getting paid that. That’s just my opinion.

Mrepp said:
bchem said:
Mrepp said:

Edited for spelling.
[snapback]271015[/snapback]​

Well I’m sorry we disagree bchem, but to be honest I don’t appreciate being called ignorant. That truly is the wedge of the Germantown School district here in Wisconsin. I’ve been a T.A before and even taught class a few times while that teacher was out, its not easy by any means I agree. As I’m sure teachers else where are underpaid, unfortunately we see teaching is something other then what it really is. It’s a job. If one is unhappy with their current rate of pay they should do what anyone else dose, try to get their pay raised, bite the bullet and deal with the pay or seek alternative employment. Also here the local Tech Collage Professors get paid 80-100 a year. I just can’t see teachers in a public school system getting paid that. That’s just my opinion.
[snapback]271041[/snapback]​

Didn't mean to offend. We definitely have different opinions, education is a job, but it's not JUST a job. I think that pay among public school teachers varies across the country, but is extremely important nonetheless. However, since I am currently beginning to look into teaching the sciences at the college level, I can tell you that for all the more schooling you go through, you start out the same (and many times less) than typical public school teachers do. Ah well, don't really think this board is the place for discussing the philosophy behind education and all that jazz. I just disagree and we can leave it at that. I guess I'm partial because I am going into college teaching and I have about 6 teachers and about 3 generations of teaching in my family. Have a good one.

In South Carolina, please don't laugh, the teachers start out around 27k a year. Ending around 50k, 20+ years of teaching.

My wife is a teacher and I will be the fist to say, teachers need to get paid more money. As said before, it is not just a job, it is the future of our country.

Back on topic, I spoke with Don Kiki at an event one time and he spoke a little about his workers. The workers take home all the bean they harvest during crop rotation. Every year this food provides a large portion of their daily diet. All given to them for free, I think the companies try to take care of their workers. For the most part IMHO.

bchem, I can also see where your coming from, I guess all in all its a tough thing to sit and judge upon.

Regards,
Mark

Mrepp said:
...unfortunately we see teaching is something other then what it really is. It’s a job.

Teaching isn't a job, it's a vocation.

To some, what they make isn't as important as what they do.

ricmac25 said:
Mrepp said:
...unfortunately we see teaching is something other then what it really is. It’s a job.

Teaching isn't a job, it's a vocation.

To some, what they make isn't as important as what they do.
[snapback]271082[/snapback]​

Amen to that Ric.

As a student/researcher involved in teacher professional education, and as a taxpaying parent, I've seen the arguments from both sides. While the fact that teachers are unionized suggests that teaching should be regarded as a semi-skilled occupation (no disparagement intended to those who are unionized workers) there is a countercurrent among some of the newer teachers. These new, young teachers as well as some professors at the university level feel that teaching should evolve toward becoming a profession, much as medicine and law.

Teaching is not labor, although it can be labor intensive.

In study after study on teaching as well as associated areas such as childcare, intervention programs, etc. one of the most important factors accounting for positive outcomes for students and children is this: That those who are in that profession choose it because they feel they are called to it and because they are committed to the betterment of their charges.

Ok, I can understand teaching being a calling. I didn’t mean sound like I’m busting on teachers, what I meant was that it’s a job in the since that if there’s a problem with pay they can always go to a different school. Teaching can be a calling yes, but dose if have to be a calling at that specific school that pays 27k a year? I had made my opinions about pay based on the figures in my district. 27k a year is ridiculously low and they should be paid more.

-Mark

I agree. But a teacher's salary shouldn't be based on what the teacher thinks they should make... for the very reason stated above. It should be based on the value that teachers hold to our community, and the b*ll sh*t they have to go through day in and day being abused by disrespectful kids, unreasonale parents... and the simple fact that they hold the kids future in their hands.

It doesn't hold true for all teachers. But for my wife, who teaches in the ghetto, her kids have no respect, they have to parental figures. By being their teacher, she is assuming the role of the parent. These kids would be out bangin on the streets selling dope if it weren't for her, and a lot still end up there. If I told you everything she had to deal with on a day to day basis, and relate that to her salary. Then told you what the majority of us in my field do day to day, and our salary compared to hers... there's definently something wrong. Thing is, teachers could get paid $500,000 a year, I still wouldn't do it. It takes someone with a special ability to do what they do, someone with a unique technique... yet they get paid one of the lowest salaries.

I don't know. Teacher's payrate is an endless discussion. Everyone will have biased opinions. Every school disctrict is different. What was this thread about again?

Oh, and in regards to going to a different school for different pay. It's not that easy, especially when you consider it's a calling. My wife could go somewhere else and make more, but then she wouldn't be making as big of a difference in these parentless kids lives. It's that sole reason why she stays where she is... becuase it's the gratification she gets from the job.

What's even more scarier, is that this is my 666th post.

A friend of mine started out at $50k in her first year teaching. I also think the pay down here in SC is much lower than it was in NY. If the quality of the education provided here is the same as I received in NY, they should be getting paid more than they do. They should also give the teachers a switch or something to keep the kids in line. If kids didn't feel like they could do anything they want and get away with it because their parents don't care, it might make our society a little better (I must be getting old since I think kids these days are out of control).

Who has all those nice pictures of the Fuente rollers? Anyway... their working conditions looked fine and they were all well dressed. Of course most of the places dont have the same standard of living we are accustomed to in the U.S. But from the pics they all looked happy and healthy.

As far as teachers... they could def use a pay raise. My wife started at 29k. Their benefits usually suck and they get screwed on other things such as Social Security.

And I thought I was going to read about some one that could smoke a cigar while Unconscious. :(