• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CONTEST TIME!

Treamayne said:
coventrycat86 said:
August 5 @ 20:00 EST

..just to whiz you off CC!  
OKAY MMM, 11:00 p.m. EDT on August 5th it is :D
How in the holy HE double hockey sticks did you jump from 8pm to 11pm in a DST conversion.

Probably should be 9PM EDT.

And on the subject - why are you killing yourself over the conversions? I seriously doubt that anyone (esp prior to your broaching the subject) thought they would try and sneak a DST vs non-DST time through on a contest. Call the times Eastern and everyone will know that it is in whatever time Eastern is currently using. Simple, see <grin>
Yes, treamayne, it should be 9:00 PM EDT, I lost my calculator :D

Check this contest and you will see why I'm trying to be as specific as possible with the whole EDT/EST thing. The first time I ran a contest, I did not specify a time zone. Fortunately, in that case, it did not matter but it taught me that to properly run a contest like this, you should address the time zone situation. Your suggestion:
Call the times Eastern and everyone will know that it is in whatever time Eastern is currently using.  Simple, see
really is not that simple. The problem with if I say "All times will be Eastern Time" people will then post a time THEN SPECIFY Standard or Daylight, so what do you do with those? All that does is open the door to the "Well I know I posted EST but I MEANT EDT" to which I say "BS", never mind what you "meant", what you posted is what we're going with. I still say the best way is the way I did it here, saying that all times are EDT but in MMM's case, he specified EST so, I'm properly converting it to EDT (well if only I could add :D )

Oh an by the way:

CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED as my last post, the Robusto Poll in the Island of Cuba forum, was the one that brought me within 35 of Leebo8-9-8.

wam79 said:
If a topic gets CC fired up this will be over soon :D
:sign:

Bill
Yea, I agree.

On a totally unrelated topic, did anyone happen to notice Shuji rejoining here under a new name??
:sign: :sign: :sign:

OK, New guess.

2:00 AM Aug. 5th

On a totally unrelated topic, did anyone happen to notice Shuji rejoining here under a new name??

WHAT, where, who, what's he going by now? Did he send me my cigars the little prick?

coventrycat86 said:
Treamayne said:
coventrycat86 said:
August 5 @ 20:00 EST

..just to whiz you off CC!  
OKAY MMM, 11:00 p.m. EDT on August 5th it is :D
How in the holy HE double hockey sticks did you jump from 8pm to 11pm in a DST conversion.

Probably should be 9PM EDT.

And on the subject - why are you killing yourself over the conversions? I seriously doubt that anyone (esp prior to your broaching the subject) thought they would try and sneak a DST vs non-DST time through on a contest. Call the times Eastern and everyone will know that it is in whatever time Eastern is currently using. Simple, see <grin>
Yes, treamayne, it should be 9:00 PM EDT, I lost my calculator :D

Check this contest and you will see why I'm trying to be as specific as possible with the whole EDT/EST thing. The first time I ran a contest, I did not specify a time zone. Fortunately, in that case, it did not matter but it taught me that to properly run a contest like this, you should address the time zone situation. Your suggestion:
Call the times Eastern and everyone will know that it is in whatever time Eastern is currently using.  Simple, see
really is not that simple. The problem with if I say "All times will be Eastern Time" people will then post a time THEN SPECIFY Standard or Daylight, so what do you do with those? All that does is open the door to the "Well I know I posted EST but I MEANT EDT" to which I say "BS", never mind what you "meant", what you posted is what we're going with. I still say the best way is the way I did it here, saying that all times are EDT but in MMM's case, he specified EST so, I'm properly converting it to EDT (well if only I could add :D )

Oh an by the way:

CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED as my last post, the Robusto Poll in the Island of Cuba forum, was the one that brought me within 35 of Leebo8-9-8.
Just say all times are your time CC. It's your contest so it's your watch we go by. No problem.

All I meant was that Eastern can only be on one or the other at any given time. The whole Eastern Time Zone switches from EST to EDT simultaneously, so if you simpoly specify Eastrern, it's a given that it will be EDT in the summer and EST in the winter. Even if DST takes place mid-thread, the contest will be judged by whatever is currently being used when contest ends.

Personally, when I hold my first contest I will probably do everyhting in Z time - it's how I wirk and what I'm used to, and it's a universal standard to everybody - that's why all military reports are in Z.

(if you didn't know Z = GMT)

gibu said:
wam79 said:

Bill
Yea, I agree.

OK, New guess.

No wait, this can't be closed yet.

CC should surpass Leebo in about 10 minutes. :sign: :sign: :sign:

Treamayne said:
All I meant was that Eastern can only be on one or the other at any given time. The whole Eastern Time Zone switches from EST to EDT simultaneously, so if you simpoly specify Eastrern, it's a given that it will be EDT in the summer and EST in the winter. Even if DST takes place mid-thread, the contest will be judged by whatever is currently being used when contest ends.

Personally, when I hold my first contest I will probably do everyhting in Z time - it's how I wirk and what I'm used to, and it's a universal standard to everybody - that's why all military reports are in Z.

(if you didn't know Z = GMT)
No offense Treamayne but you're missing the point. "Eastern time" can be TWO different times depending if the area you are in uses Daylight Saving Time or not. For instance, Cuba does, Haiti does not, therefore there are TWO different "Eastern" times in the summer months, not one. Arizona does not go by Daylight Saving Time UNLESS you're on one of the Indian Reservations that does use it. Indiana does not use Daylight Saving Time.

A guess that specifies a particular time, standard or daylight, MAY be taken TWO ways depending on how the person who made the guess wants to spin it and how the person running the contest wants to read into what he think's the contestant "meant". Here's a real life case:

Member A says "6/7 2:12 PM"
Member B says "07JUN04 1346 EST"

Winning time is "Jun 7 2004 1:58 PM EDT"

Who won? Member A is fourteen minutes from the winning time OR member B who MAY be 12 minutes away or is actually 48 minutes away?

Member A is going to make a compelling argument that Member B clearly stated "EST", Member B will probably say "Oh gee, I meant EDT because I'm in the same time zone and the guy who started the contest" to which Member A says "Sorry but you clearly and without doubt stated 'EST""

If it's so easy, please review Moki's contest and tell me who you think won.

Damn post padder!

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

gibu said:
wam79 said:

Bill
Yea, I agree.

OK, New guess.

:lookup:
Also ... George Bush won't get reelected
& Cubans are no better than domestics

That'll get him going :D
:sign: :sign:

Bill

Hey CC........can you slow down the posting? I still have 6 days before my guess is up. Looks like 9 more and you'll pass Leebo.

Leebo, we could always go in cahoots and split the "prize" :D

He may pass me but will he maintain the lead after CPFFL starts, probably not! :sign:

texasaggie said:
Leebo8-9-8 said:
He may pass me but will he maintain the lead after CPFFL starts, probably not! :sign:
What is that? :)
Oh, I will be glad to answer that for you:

"Cigar Pass Fantasy Football League"

tic toc tic toc....

(BTW, that was a clock ticking in EDT :lookup:)

Here it is the BIG ONE :0

Oh and Mr. Smart A$$, MMM, :D do I convert your "8:00 PM EST" to Daylight? if so you win, if not AVB wins.

CC is the new post padder champion!!!

You must now send me several Opus X cigars for passing me! :D

coventrycat86 said:
Here it is the BIG ONE :0

Oh and Mr. Smart A$$, MMM, :D do I convert your "8:00 PM EST" to Daylight? if so you win, if not AVB wins.
I just looked and we don't have a member called Mr. Smart A$$ so I must have won. AIP my man. :sign: :sign: