• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler-dor 101

I buy 2 of these at Home Depot for $3 each and build shelves for my coolerdors. The shelf is 33" long, 12" deep, and 4.5" high. They are cedar, they smell good, and they look good. Boxes can be stored like books if they are shaped so, if not, the boxes can be stacked.

Cedar picket

1614812346123.png

Would anyone wanna share pics of there coolerdor? I'm gunna get/make one but would like to see some others just for ideas

I don't think that's the kind of cedar you want to use, how long have you had sticks in there with them, Jeff?
That's what I thought, I found that kinda at home depot (the only cedar they have) but wasn't to sure about it

Would anyone wanna share pics of there coolerdor? I'm gunna get/make one but would like to see some others just for ideas
Plenty of photos in this thread to give you some ideas.

Lots of photos and ideas, but honestly it's not rocket surgery. Get a cooler with a good, tight fitting lid. You can even do the dollar bill test in the store on the lid, but most coolers have a nice snug lid on them. Rinse it out with hot water when you get home, let it dry with the lid open for a day or two. That'll get rid of 99% of the plastic smell. No bleach, no chemicals....just very hot water and time. Beads, Bovida's, whatever.....put your desired humidification in there but don't forget a SensorPush or Govee to monitor the RH without opening the lid. I never lined or put shelves in mine as I always thought the wood took up room that I'd rather save for cigars. Lastly, bubble wrap will take up empty space and make humidification more consistent until the cooler fills up. Before my cabinet, I had 3 or 4 coolers running at the same time....and they worked perfectly. Can't recommend this enough.

Lots of photos and ideas, but honestly it's not rocket surgery. Get a cooler with a good, tight fitting lid. You can even do the dollar bill test in the store on the lid, but most coolers have a nice snug lid on them. Rinse it out with hot water when you get home, let it dry with the lid open for a day or two. That'll get rid of 99% of the plastic smell. No bleach, no chemicals....just very hot water and time. Beads, Bovida's, whatever.....put your desired humidification in there but don't forget a SensorPush or Govee to monitor the RH without opening the lid. I never lined or put shelves in mine as I always thought the wood took up room that I'd rather save for cigars. Lastly, bubble wrap will take up empty space and make humidification more consistent until the cooler fills up. Before my cabinet, I had 3 or 4 coolers running at the same time....and they worked perfectly. Can't recommend this enough.
So when you get a box of smokes do you just put it there and keep stacking them? Or you take them out the box?

I bought some 1/4" x 6" x 36" Spanish cedar planks from Woodworkers Source

They have an outlet in Tucson, FWIW, not sure if all outlets carry all the different wood they have listed. They have 1/2" thick stock as well if you want something a little thicker. My coolerdor is the same 120qt Igloo that CigarStone is using.

I purchased some spanish cedar for one of my cigar 'storage projects' several years ago from Woodcraft, in Bloomington, MN.

they also have a Woodcraft location in the Tucson metro area; they might have a bit there.

So when you get a box of smokes do you just put it there and keep stacking them? Or you take them out the box?
I always left them in the box, recommend you do the same. Far less risk of damage, easy to dig for something you're looking for, and wood holds humidity which will help stabilize the system.