• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler Question

Ace

Well I've finally decided to upgrade to a coolerdor. I'm looking at getting a coleman 100 quart (actually 95 litres :laugh:) and I am gonna go with beads. My question is; how many beads would I need for this size cooler? Would half a pound do, or would I need the full pound? Also any pics of your set-ups would be great! :D

Cheers,
Adam

hey man go to Viper's website

heartfeltindustries.com he has a calculator there, for all your bead needs.

I have nothing to add but I love that pic of Pacino.

I'd go to heartfelt also....in fact I did.

What Shane said.....ask Viper. I am pretty sure you will want about one pound. I have a 70 quart coolidor and that only uses the half pound size.

And look at it this way.....there is certainly no harm in having more beads than necessary. In fact, I'd argue it's better to have more than less anyway.

Just got a 48qt cooler... shit... better go bigger... ???

mac

One 120 Qt cooler with a pound of beads plus one 60 qt cooler with 1/2pd of beads.

Both of these along with my cabinet.

One 120 Qt cooler with a pound of beads plus one 60 qt cooler with 1/2pd of beads.

Both of these along with my cabinet.
Not bad at all! How often do you find yourself recharging the beads, Marc?

Wilkey

It varies. I got the heartfelt beads. The 120qt seems to be holding the humidity nicely and the 60 qt can be left for a few weeks without problems. The cabinet is the real issue. I open it up and search through my singles each day and this eats up alot of the humidty. I end up having to recharge it weekly. I found that putting a water pillow or two helps keep the RH normal in dry times.

Viper will sort you out mate.
That is where I got mine from.
I have some spare If you need them. But not enough to do what you want. I think there is about half a cup.
PM me if you need any help Ace.

Use however many the calculator tells you to use then add some more. I have about 1.5 times as much as I need and my coolador is almost no maintenance. It's great. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys... ordered 1 pound of beads from Viper last night.

Bought the cooler yesterday... Can't wait to fill this baby up! :D

PIC00022.jpg

PIC00021.jpg

I'm gonna get some sort of runner type things to attach to end and stand it up cabinet-style. Now I've just gotta decide on what to use as shelving.

Adam

mac

Get the biggest you can get.

You will not be sorry in the future.
Actually, bigger is not always better in this case. I have several of those 48 qt Coleman that Ace picked up and I find that you can get a decent number of boxes in each. The 48-50 qt units are also much easier to move and stack when filled than a 120 qt unit. When you fill it up, it gets pretty heavy.

To each their own. If you stand a big one on end or rarely move your coolers, a big boy would work just fine. Since space in my basement is at a premium, coolers get stacked and that's why I stick with this size.

Wilkey

I just found out my basement, rests at 65 percent.... I never thought to test the humidity before today. I am gonna check it over a period of a few weeks. Today I had to add two more boxes and left the hygrometer out. When I came back an hr later it was readin 65/65. Nice to find that out.

Not to thread jack. But full coolers do get heavy thats for sure. You might want to search some guys have found some nice wooden cabinets on the cheap and turned them into humidors, might be something to look into. My cabinet is full as of now, may be a few more boxes. It looks like i will be back to coolers until I get enough to fill the other humi.

Good luck on your new cooler and be sure the plastic smell is gone.

mac

Get the biggest you can get.

You will not be sorry in the future.
Actually, bigger is not always better in this case. I have several of those 48 qt Coleman that Ace picked up and I find that you can get a decent number of boxes in each. The 48-50 qt units are also much easier to move and stack when filled than a 120 qt unit. When you fill it up, it gets pretty heavy.

To each their own. If you stand a big one on end or rarely move your coolers, a big boy would work just fine. Since space in my basement is at a premium, coolers get stacked and that's why I stick with this size.

Wilkey

Wilkey - What are keeping in those 48qt bead wise... 1/2 lb.?

mac

Believe it or not, in several of these coolers, I use nothing most of the time. When I see a drop in RH, I stick in either a bowl of self-conditioned silica crystals or a small cup of PG/water for a few days.

The "ready to smoke" coolers, though, have silica in them pretty regularly because they are opened frequently. The deep storage coolers that I don't touch can go easily a month with no change in RH.

Wilkey

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on what to use for shelving? Dont really like the look of the plastic-coated racks... I'd like to use wood, but Spanish Cedar is pretty hard to come by around these parts... Would it be possible to use something else such as plywood or would that eventually deteriorate due to the humidity?

Adam

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on what to use for shelving? Dont really like the look of the plastic-coated racks... I'd like to use wood, but Spanish Cedar is pretty hard to come by around these parts... Would it be possible to use something else such as plywood or would that eventually deteriorate due to the humidity?

Adam

Not sure I would put plywood in there. ??? Could potentially add a flavor component... and not so sure I want my smokes tasting like plywood or even giving the slightest resemblance of plywood. I could be wrong though. I would look for plastic shelves... or spanish cedar.

mac