• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP’s “Cigar 101 ” Newbie Pass 2

KeithS

CP’s “Cigar 101 ” Newbie Pass 2
The Bell’s Ringin’! Get to Class!​

gallery_6048_372_1558.jpg

Our illustrious newbie instructor Kingantz has earned his instructors degree in passing, and is now working on his bachelors. Now I the former lowly newb student am taking the test to be an instructor and pass on what I’ve learned to you newbs that have little experience. This is your chance to join a pass where minor mistakes will be forgiven, and we will have the overlooking guidance of two experienced professors to keep us on track.

NO MORE DISRUPTIONS! Good Morning class and welcome to Cigars 101 2. My name is Mr. Keith, and I will be your substitute teacher for today. As you all may have heard, the usual teacher of this class, Mr. Rod, was badly injured during summer vacation from a hot potato bomb that went off while opening his mailbox. He is in stable condition and should be back by mid-year.

Because this is my first time teaching this class, we will have two very much esteemed members of the staff joining us to ensure all goes well. Please welcome Professor Tkoepp and Professor Indyrob. Welcome to both of you and a very heartfelt thank you for joining us. I’m sure we all look forward to your guidance, so please feel free to jump in and participate at any time.

Now, let’s get started.

Today we are going to do something special. We are going to have a little exercise we like to call a Newbie Pass. Some of you may have already heard of the Pass from upper classman and although it is not usual for a substitute to start out a new class with a Pass, I believe we could possibly attempt and succeed at a very simple one.

So first, what is a Pass? A Pass is an exercise that will take place outside of the classroom over the next several weeks where a variety of cigars is put together in a package, placed in the mail, and delivered to your home. Yes, there’s a little money involved so be sure to tell your parents you will need some help. The first person to receive the package will remove one or more cigars they don’t have and would like to try, and then replace those taken with one’s they have. That person then sends the package on to the next person and so on until it returns back to the original sender. In my opinion (IMO), it’s a very good learning tool not only for the education and experience with cigars, but also for building relationships amongst individuals in the pass, and outside the Pass as well. It is about having a lot of fun along the way!

Above you will find the initial list of 30 cigars of different variety that will start out the pass, each with its own identifiable number. I’ve also included the size. Each cigar will be placed in an individual baggie, and each baggie numbered based on where the cigar is in the list. All the cigars will then be placed in a larger baggie along with a humidification device, and then wrapped in bubble wrap, not too loose as to jostle around during shipping and not too firm as to crush the cigars. The wrapped package will then be placed in a sturdy air tight container with more bubble wrap, paper, popcorn, whatever is available to ensure the package of cigars does not move around. The container will be placed firmly in a box, sealed, and then be ready for the Pass. I will include in the package an inventory sheet that will list out all the cigars by number. This sheet will need to be filled out by each participant with name/screen name, Takes and Puts.

Here is the class syllabus, please take one and pass it back. Grateful 1, stop playing with your Opus!

SYLLABUS:

1) I will list the cigars in order on the Board. The first person in the list who is to receive the package will go ahead and write on the board (before or during shipment of package) what cigars they will Take (T) from the package and what cigars they will Put (P) back in. I, with the direction and guidance of Mr. Tkoepp and Mr. Indyrob, will decide if the T/P is acceptable or unacceptable and confirm on the Board. In the event of any controversy, Indyrob and Tkoepp will offer suggestions. Your "puts" should be equal in value with your "takes". Three $3 cigars doesn’t equal one $9 cigar. You should use MSRP from more than one source on line to help with your P&T's, if you aren't sure, PM me first. If there are duplicate cigars in the pass only take one and leave the remaining sticks for others in the pass. Once approved, you should cross off your "takes" with a single line on the inventory sheet, and number your "puts" with the next # open on the inventory sheet. Individual baggies, permanent markers, and pens will be included in the pass (please make sure to put them back when done). Take a new baggie and using the marker, number the individual bag for each cigar being put back in starting from the last number on the list (please allow the ink several seconds to dry as to not smear). Bag the cigar and include them in the pass. Please do not remove cigars from the baggies.
2) The package can be sent via USPS with a Delivery Confirmation (DC) number, UPS, or DHL. Each DC or tracking number will be written on the board once the package has shipped. If at all possible, sign up at USPS for CLICK-N-SHIP. Very simple and fast way to print your own shipping label, no muss no fuss at the Post Office, just drop it off (gees, I sound like a advertisement for USPS).
3) You MUST write on the board once you’ve received the package and immediately contact via PM, Board, and phone (optional) the next person in the list to ensure they are ready to receive.
4) If you are the next person to receive in the pass, it would be a good idea to go ahead and let everyone know you are there and ready. If you know that it is your turn next and will not be available to accept the pass, please alert everyone so the pass can be re-routed as necessary.
5) If no confirmation is received from the next person on the list in 36 hours, then the package will be sent to the next person on the list that does respond they are ready.
6) Please double-check the contents of the package to ensure everything is in order and good condition. If anything needs to be done such as increasing humidity or re-packaging/replacing the box, please make sure to do so.
7) Please be prompt. Once the package is received, make the T/P’s as quickly as possible and get the package out to the next person. T/P’s should already be decided before the package arrives, so shouldn’t take much time. However, there will always be exceptions.

a. Homework Assignment: I would like for everyone to research (before receiving the package, if possible) his/her cigars they plan to put in. Gather information such as name*, size*, wrapper*, binder*, filler*, strength*, and Manufacturer Retail Sales Price (MSRP**). Find as much detailed information as possible. This is a good way to get to know your cigars!

*Here are links for help with CIGAR INFORMATION Also try LINK 1, LINK 2, and LINK 3.
**Click here for PRICING help. You can also use links 1, 2, and 3 above for pricing if not found on CigarCyclopedia. To determine MSRP; find the cigar in the list, add all stores prices in the row, divide the total by the number of stores, divide by number of sticks on sale (use full box if available). This should give you the MSRP for each stick.

Now, I need 13 volunteers from the class who would like to participate (1,000 posts or less and a member for 6 months or less). Please raise your hands. Geldor1 put your hand down. You’ve been in this class three times already, so we want to give the NEW students a chance.

Above all don't be afraid to ask questions, learn and above all have fun. :laugh:

Current participants, THIS IS THE PASS ORDER!

1. Indyrob-Professor
2. Garvey
3. Bimmer635csi
4. Fourthrail
5. Fivebyfifty
6. Big Frankie
7. Yardgnome02
8. Sportsdls
9. Bigjake6904
10. Septumus
11. Niko
12. Mas_Puros
13. Boomer52
14. Stepthirteen
15. sinnyc
16. tkoepp-Professor
17. KeithS-Host

gallery_6048_372_45882.jpg

Cigar List

1. Opus X xXx Power Ranger Bimmer635csi
2. Cohiba XV 550 Indyrob
3. Cohiba XV 550 Garvey
4. LFD Double Ligero Chisel Gorda Fivebyfifty
5. R&J Reserve Maduro Robusto
6. R&J Reserve Maduro Robusto Indyrob
7. Rocky Patel Edge Toro Corojo Boomer52
8. Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut Toro Fourthrail
9. Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut Toro Bimmer635csi
10. H. Uppmann Signature Double Eagle Maduro Indyrob
11. Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Robusto Grande Bimmer635csi
12. Rocky Patel Cuban Blend Torpedo Corojo Fivebyfifty
13. JDN Antano Gran Reserva Robusto Grande
14. LFD Ligero L-400 Cabinet Fivebyfifty
15. CAO Brazilia Go Mas_Puros
16. CAO Italia Ciao Sinnyc
17. Rocky Patel Fusion Toro Septumus
18. Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Petit Belicoso Maduro Sportsdls
19. CAO America Potomac Fourthrail
20. Don Pepin Cuban Classic (Black) Petit Lancero 1977 Garvey
21. Don Pepin Blue Generosos Big Frankie
22. Don Pepin Blue Generosos Yardgnome02
23. Rocky Patel Edge Maduro Torpedo Factory Second Garvey
24. LFD Oscuro Natural Lancero Bimmer635csi
25. LFD Special Release Cameroon Lancero Sportsdls
26. LFD Outlaw 2007 Bad to the Bone Event Stick Garvey
27. JFR (Just For Retail) Natural Robusto
28. JFR (Just For Retail) Maduro Torpedo
29. Gurka Legend Torpedo Big Frankie
30. Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Toro

Indyrob Puts

31. LFD DL-700 Maduro Garvey
32. Gurkha Regent Toro
33. La Aurora Preferido Robusto Fivebyfifty
34. Punch Champion Big Frankie
35. La Aurora Maduro SG Robusto Sportsdls
36. LfD A ($15 or so) Fivebyfifty
37. Al's custom Padilla ( I don't remember...ask Al) Garvey
38. LfD Cameroom Lancero (One's not enough for this pass....) Big Frankie
39. CAO Anaconda OR...not the new one....($8ish) Septumus
40. Nuevitas Jibaro #2 Fivebyfifty
53. Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo

Garvey Puts

41. Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Maduro Robusto BigJake6904
42. RyJ Cedro Deluxe #1
43. Fuente Hemingway Short Story Bimmer635csi
44. Graycliff Blue Label Professionale Septumus
45. Tatuaje Havana VI Nobels Fourthrail
46. Fuente 858 Maduro Sportsdls
47. Fuente 858 Natural Fourthrail
48. Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto
49. RyJ Habana Reserva Robusto
50. CAO Gold Robusto
51. CAO Extreme Robusto
52. Davidoff Special R Tubo Big Frankie

Bimmer635csi Puts

54. Punch Gran Puro Rancho Magnum
55. RyJ Reserva Real Churchill (>2yr old) BigJake6904
56. Oliva Master Blend No. 3 Churchill Big Frankie
57. Ashton VSG Sorcerer Fivebyfifty
58. Davidoff Gran Cru No. 2 Fivebyfifty
59. Royal Jamaica Oro Rojo Toro Mas_Puros
60. Cigars International Legends Black Label Yardgnome02
61. Padilla Hybrid Churchill Sinnyc

Fivebyfify Puts

62. graycliff oringial pg Sportsdls
63. Gurkha sig 101 mad rob #4
64. partagas black pirimid
65. Gurkha Beast
66. CAO 65th ann.moda Big Frankie
67. 5 Vegas A apostle
68. Perdomo edition de silvio Double Corona
69. CAO Odyssey Fourthrail
70. RP old world reserve mad toro Sportsdls
71. AF Anejo 48 Fourthrail
72. Cienfuegos Blazer
73. Vibe corojo
74. quadrado $1
75. havana house $1
76. graycliff expresso pg BigJake6904

Fourthrail Puts

77. LGC Serie R #5 Maduro
78. Don Pepin Cuban Classic Robusto Mas_Puros
79. Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Exclusivo 9 Niko
80. Carlos Torano Casa Torano Robusto Sportsdls
81. La Aurora 1945 Robusto Mas_Puros
82. Graycliff Crystal Pirate BigJake6904

Big Frankie Puts

83. H.Upmann Signature Magnum Maduro TKoepp
84. Cohiba Black Robusto (Crystal) Mas_Puros
85. Padron 1964 Anniversary - Torpedo Natural BigJake6904
86. Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 BigJake6904
87. Padron 1926 #2 Maduro Yardgnome02
88. Onyx Reserve Toro
89. San Cristobal Clasico

Yardgnome02 Puts

90. Padron 4000 Maduro
91. CI legends Pepin Boomer52
92. Padron 1926 #9 Maduro BigJake6904

Sportsdls Puts

93. Cohiba Black Supremo Mas_Puros
94. 5 Vegas A Artisan
95. CAO Black Mosaic
96. LFD Oscuro Lancero BigJake6904
97. Alec Bradley Trilogy Corojo Robusto
98. Felipe Power No. 2 Torpedo
99. Gran Habano 3 Siglo Fumas Robusto

BigJake6904 Puts

100. Padron 1964 Anni Torp Maduro Stepthirteen
101. Zino Platinum Scepter Series Chubby Niko
102. Stradivarius Lonsdale
103. Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramide Septumus
104. Partagas 160 Robusto Niko
105. Partagas S Esplendido
106. Oliva Master Blends Robusto
107. Camacho Triiple Maduro 11/18
108. Cuba Aliados 83rd Anniversary Diademas
109. Kinky Friedman Kinkycristo Sinnyc

Septumus Puts

110. AF Hemingway Classic Boomer52
111. Ashton VSG Illusion Boomer52
112. Fuente Fuente Opus X Sinnyc
113. Padron 1926 40th Anniversary Mas_Puros
114. Cuba Libre
115. Oliveros International 1927
116. Oliveros Padrino
117. Oliveros LTD

Niko Puts

118. God Of Fire Robo
119. CAO Sopranos Soldier
120. Gurkha Titan
121. 5 Vegas Miami Toro TKoepp
122. SLR Lonny '03 Sinnyc
123. Fonseca Vintage Robo
124. RP Signature Series

MAS_Puros Puts

125. El Centurion Emperador
126. Pelo de Oro FG Perfecto
127. Nording Torpedo
128. Tatuaje Noelles Boomer52
129. Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Toro
130. Padilla 1932 Corona Gorda
131. Padron 7000 Maduro
132. Gurkha Black Beauty Tubo
133. VSG Illusion Stepthirteen

Boomer52 Puts

134. RyJ Vintage #2
135. Macanudo Hyde Park Maduro
136. Montecristo Platinum Toro
137. Gurkah Legend Torpedo
138. Montecristo Platimum Robusto
139. Cohiba Dominican Corona
140. La Gloria Cubana, Glorias Extra Maduro TKoepp

Stepthirteen Puts

141. Opus X Double Corona TKoepp
142. Opus X #5
143. Anejo #49
144. Anejo #50 TKoepp

Sinnyc Puts

145. DPG Delicias
146. CAO Criollo Pato
147. Tatuaje Aristas
148. Anejo Shark
149. Rey Del Mundo Lonnie ('00)
150. Anejo 48
151. Graycliff Double Espresso

TKoepp Puts

152. 5 vegas 5 Limitada 2006 Torp
153. Cusano Corojo 1997 Torp
154. Casa Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto
155. JC Newman 110th anniversary Cuesta Ray Centro Fino
156. DP Blue Lancero 2007
157. RP OSG Toro

Confirmation PM sent.

This looks like a good one.

I will start preparing immediately.

Cheers,
Chris

PM sent wih all the needed info. Looks like a great pass to start out. I have some fantastic sticks to replace the already awesome list of gars!!!

Step

Looks like this is off to a fast start. Nice setup, Keith!

Just double confirming for you that I'm still definitely in! Thanks for having me.

Dr. Marneaus, Keith has included some pretty reasonably priced sticks. According to Cicarcyclopedia, some of them are in the $2-3 range. And you don't need to have a bunch of cigars to participate. You can swap as few as one or two. This is a good opportunity to "get in on the ground floor", where mistakes are forgiven and the emphasis is on learning the proper protocol for participating in a pass (Nice alliteration, I just noticed. Try saying that five times fast!).

Confirmation PM sent. Looks like a great pass. Already found several sticks on the list that I have been wanting to try. Now to put the put list together. :D

Got it confirmed Boomer

Five and Niko you are in

two more spots remaining!!

Keith

I'd like to join a pass, but it seems as though it'd be over my head....

Like khari said a few under $3.00 and even more under $5.00. Many passes are higher end sticks. This is a great time to take part. and get to see or trade for sticks you've not had yet. You'll also get to know the people in your pass and others from outside the pass that contribute.

Keith