• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP’s “Cigar 101 ” Newbie Pass 2

The MSRP on the OpusXFF is $9.50, but also remember that you have to match rarity as well. Sometimes this can be difficult.

As far as the Kinky, he is the only one to sell this cigar and a box of Kinkycristo's are $150 so they are $7.50 a piece.

Normally I would take this opportunity and tell you to "search" it but this is a learning pass.

Thanks for the info. On CP, I looked at this thread for the Opus prices but it was started in '05 so I figured it was out of date. As for the Kinky cigars, I did see his site but that was the only place I saw them. Now I know why lol.

So what is considered a decent put for the Opus? An ESG, for example, isn't as uncommon but goes for $18 to $20 or more which is twice the MSRP of the Opus. How do I factor the rarity in to determining value? I'd like to try the opus but not if it requires a Padron 80th ;)

Rarity can be tough (as you have already found out) I'd try limited editions, discontinued cigars, custom rolls, etc would be a place to start, other cigars that are released on a cycle (e.g. Anejo's) also.

The phrase "rarity cannot be bought" is key to remember, you cannot trade a regualr production cigar with a high MSRP for a rare one with a lower MSRP. Athough a higher MSRP does play into effect when the rarity is slightly canted; it can help balance the trade out.

Lastly one thing to remember this is supposed to be fun and also a learning experience, if your not sure about a trade, pm a senior member and ask them for their opinion.

Alright guys so sorry about the tardiness of this info, but the package went out priority mail today (a day late I know and do apologies) DC # is-

0308 0070 0000 3854 0453

Thanks for letting me be in the pass!! It was indeed a joy!!

Jim

Hello Gents!
Here are my proposed Puts and Takes for your approval. I took tkoepp's advice and tried to find cigars that were in the same value range AND rarity range as the two Opus on my list.

____TAKES__________________PUTS
16_CAO Italia Ciao________145_DPG Delicias
61_Padilla Hybrid Church___146_CAO Criollo Pato
109_Kinky F. Kinkycristo____147_Tatuaje Aristas
112_Fuente Fuente Opus X___148_Anejo Shark
122_SLR Lonnie ('03)_______149_Rey Del Mundo Lonnie ('00)
141_Opus X Double Corona___150_ESG Robusto

Let me know how I did. Keith, I will PM you with the source of the El Rey Lonsdale

- Tim

Edited to correct the numbering

Tim

All are approved except 141_Opus X Double Corona___150_ESG Robusto. While the ESG is a couple of dollars more than the Opus, it does not really meet rarity. The ESG is currently readily available from multiple retailers.

Lets hear some input from our professors or other pass members on this one.

Keith

Tim

All are approved except 141_Opus X Double Corona___150_ESG Robusto. While the ESG is a couple of dollars more than the Opus, it does not really meet rarity. The ESG is currently readily available from multiple retailers.

Lets hear some input from our professors or other pass members on this one.

Keith

Understood. I was going to use an Anejo 49 but one was just added and my understanding of passes is that one should try and avoid putting duplicates of cigars already in the pass. If that isn't an issue and a 49 would work I am happy to do that. If not, no worries, I will remove that take/put and just stick with the rest.

Thanks for the info!

- Tim

Tim

The 49 unfortunatly does not match up on valuation. It's $9.50 and the Double Corona is $15.00

Keith

Tim

The 49 unfortunatly does not match up on valuation. It's $9.50 and the Double Corona is $15.00

Keith

Indeed it does not. My mistake, I was so focused on the rarity part I forgot the MSRP part :blush:

I am removing that particular take/put combo so my revised proposal is as follows:

____TAKES__________________PUTS
16_CAO Italia Ciao________145_DPG Delicias
61_Padilla Hybrid Church___146_CAO Criollo Pato
109_Kinky F. Kinkycristo____147_Tatuaje Aristas
112_Fuente Fuente Opus X___148_Anejo Shark
122_SLR Lonnie ('03)_______149_Rey Del Mundo Lonnie ('00)

- Tim

Great Tim. Thanks for playing.

I think we covered about every Pass type issue during this pass, I hope everyone kept up with it. Everyone will be better equiped for all of your passes in the future.

Side note. I can't believe no body took the JDN gran reservesa to try. I love these smokes. Lots of power with a sweetnes to it. First one I had was gifted to me by TKoepp I almost puked. Went out and bought a box that week. Never smoke one as the third cigar of the evening when your pretty lit up anyway.

Were almost done the pass will soon be on it's way to our last professor and then to me. Most of the puts will be new stuff that I have not had.

Thanks to all it's been fun and a learning experience for me also.

Keith

The box arrived today but I haven't opened it yet. It's a big mother :D .

I should be able to get puts and takes done tonight and get it back out on the road tomorrow.

- Tim

Everything looked good although we are nearly out of individual cigar bags and I had none to add in. I am just waiting for confirmation that tkoepp is ready to go and I can get it back on its way tomorrow. Once he gives the thumbs up I will add the DC# to this post.

My puts and takes were as approved with the addition of these two puts:
150 Anejo 48
151 Graycliff Double Espresso

Keith, thank you for allowing me to play, I learned a lot and had a ball too!

Package will go out Wednesday with DC#: 0503 8555 7490 0284 7217

- Tim

Keith, Thank you for a great pass/learning experience. I really enjoyed watching it progress and keeping my own list of puts and takes and then trying to find a price for each stick.

In trying to find a price for everything I used four on line sources, CI, JR, Famous, and Cigarcyclopedia. Using these I was able to find prices for most of the cigars in the pass. However there were several I could not price. These were some of the LFD offerings as well as the Opus, Anejo, and No. 42, the RyJ Cedro Deluxe #1. What sources did you use to find prices for these? I need to expand my search sites for future passes.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy everything that comes back to you. Some fine sticks in there. You were a great host/instructor.

Dave

For Opus, Anejo, Padron, and a few other HTF sticks, you use the MSRP pricing that is posted in the pinned threads in the lounge. These are the prices you use for passes because too many retailers gouge for these sticks. You also have to match rarity when trading these sticks also.

Some of the LFD sticks were special releases, and event sticks. Prices for these won't usually be found on the web, so always ask your other pass members for a value.

I found lots of hits for the RyJ using Google. Sometimes it helps to spell out the Manufacturer name.

OK Box arrived today, here are the approved P/T.

#121 Miami Vegas 5 P-5 vegas 5 Limitada 2006 Torp
#83 H Upp Signature P- Cusano Corojo 1997 Torp
#140 LGC Glorias P- Casa Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto
#141 OpusX DC P-JC Newman 110th anniversary Cuesta Ray Centro Fino
#144 AF Anejo 50 P- DP Blue Lancero 2007
P-RP OSG Toro

Great pass..I will bring this over tonight Keith.

All approved. I'll smoke the DPG Lancero tonigt at our weekly mini herf.

Well folks, that's it we're all done here. It's been fun, and a learning experience for me as well.

I'll see ya in future passes.

Keith

Keith, thanks for heading this thing up, it was a great intro to passes. And great job, everyone, for making it run so smoothly.