• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban cigars in aluminum tubes. How to store over the long term?

Oldmancigar

I’m here to stay
There was a time when Cuban Cigars in tubes we’re at an appealing price. So, I have a few such as Cohiba singlo V/VI, Robustos & others brands.
‘I have most of them over 5 years. I had to stop smoking cigars for over 6 years due to personal concerns but now all is well. 😎
I thought to keep them in the tubes in my humidor to have a more uniform profile over time. And the Cedar in the tubes was an added benefit. Now, I having second thoughts.
I have every couple of years opened one to check on their condition and all is ok.

There are others who take them out of the tubes or just screw off cap to meld their profile with other cigars nearby. Some are of the opinion that keeping it in the tube will make the cigar milder. ( not a good thing?)
Others have diverse opinions. All I really know for sure is the cigars in tubes don’t have access to oxygen. And leaving them in the tube give them no access to any mold spores or various small humidity changes in short term.
I would enjoy hearing from our senior Cuban cigar connoisseurs and collectors, your opinions and what you have done with your tubed cigars..

Last edited:
I’m a leave them in the tube type. I feel the manufacturer wouldn’t ship them in a closed tube if they didn’t think it was ok to do so.

As for mold, spores would have to be introduced at the time of entering the tube. I am sure it happens, but I don’t think it’s widespread.

To me and my personal experience, I've enjoyed tubo cigars more than their non-entubated (yeah, I made that word up) like counterparts, especially once they have had a few years. Personally, I say definitely store them in the tubes as they arrived. Select a sample size from the box and inspect them every so often if you wish.

To me and my personal experience, I've enjoyed tubo cigars more than their non-entubated (yeah, I made that word up) like counterparts, especially once they have had a few years. Personally, I say definitely store them in the tubes as they arrived. Select a sample size from the box and inspect them every so often if you wish.
Could not have said it better…

Do you leave the caps screwed on or loosen them a little?

My favorite presentations in order for long term storage and age effect:
1. 50 cab SLB (Slide Lid Box)
2. Tubos
3. SLB in 10 or 25
4. All cedar hinged lid box in 10 or 25
5. Dress box

I’ve personally never had mold issues with Cuban Tubos cigars and I smoke/collect a lot of them. 🙂

Edit: To fix mistakes

Last edited:
2. Tubos
3. SLB in 10 or 25
4. All cedar hinged lid box in 10
4. Dress box

Ive personally never had mold issues with Cuban Tubos cigars and I smoke/collect a lot of them. 🙂
Looks like I'm getting some tubos!!!
Thanks for the information.

2. Tubos
3. SLB in 10 or 25
4. All cedar hinged lid box in 10
4. Dress box

Ive personally never had mold issues with Cuban Tubos cigars and I smoke/collect a lot of them. 🙂
Did you steal this from me? 😂

Lol! No why? You make a similar post? You know great minds think alike…. 😎
I would have ordered the first 2 opposite of what you guys did, but both of you have WAY more experience in the matter than I do, so I guess I'll need to do more research!

Smoking a Boli Tubo No. 2 that's been sitting happily in its tubo for years, and it's flippin' amazing. I second the leave the tubed, tubed, crowd.

The only caution I’d have with the tubos is if your humidor is temperature controlled, make sure you’re not getting any condensation forming on them.