• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Davidoff's

Opus Dei

All right, I've been smoking quite a while now, I've smoked a lot, I've tried a few Cubans and I know what I like and don't like; that is, I guarantee most of you can beat my knowledge, but preference is preference. Anyway, I've heard so much about Cuban Davidoff's. I know they stopped making them years ago and they the leftovers go for obscene prices now, but has anyone here smoked 'em? Are they worth the outrageous price for me to need to take out a "car loan" and buy some with that money? What is YOUR preference regarding this ancient smoke?

All right, I've been smoking quite a while now, I've smoked a lot, I've tried a few Cubans and I know what I like and don't like; that is, I guarantee most of you can beat my knowledge, but preference is preference. Anyway, I've heard so much about Cuban Davidoff's. I know they stopped making them years ago and they the leftovers go for obscene prices now, but has anyone here smoked 'em? Are they worth the outrageous price for me to need to take out a "car loan" and buy some with that money? What is YOUR preference regarding this ancient smoke?

Unless you have a lot of extra cash to spend, it would probably be a waste to buy some. A lot of people think they are amazing and probably an equal number think they are nothing special. Of course, it also depends on which vitola you are talking about and how it's been stored. Do some searches on the subject and I'm sure you will find much more information on it.

I had the opportunity to smoke one and while it was a nice smoke, chances are pretty good that most people will find the experience doesn't live up to the hype or the expense.

There are still retailers that have them....if You feel like paying about $110 a piece....with a minimum purchase of 5.

I've smoked numerous Cuban Davidoff cigars, with my favorite being the 5000 (l like the size and they cheaper than the Chateau series). Whether they are worth the money or not is a very subjective topic.

Yes. No. Depends. No cigar is worth that money... but the experience of smoking it -- just once -- might be to you.

IMHO, it's wasted cash... but it's one hell of a celebratory smoke. I prefer to gift cigars like this, rather than smoke them.

Yes. No. Depends. No cigar is worth that money... but the experience of smoking it -- just once -- might be to you.

IMHO, it's wasted cash... but it's one hell of a celebratory smoke. I prefer to gift cigars like this, rather than smoke them.

I'd like to be your friend!! :whistling:

I think you will find that many of the Cuban Davidoff's are very mild now. I have had many of the different vitolas and can say that most were very mild. With that said, they were still very good smokes, you can still pick out the different aromas and flavors.

I tend to agree with Moki on this subject. I will say that I'm curious, but my pockets would have to be real ching-a-lingy to even consider spending that much on a personal smoke. That would be a one time "Bucket List" sort of experience.
That said, I would personally get very excited if I received one as a gift, as it is truly something I normally wouldn't indulge in.
Giving as a gift would be a no brainer, and I suppose I would be just as excited gifting one, as the person would be who was receiving it.

Moki, as usual, hits the nail on the head.

I have smoked several. Are they worth the cost? Is any cigar worth the cost if it doesn't taste good?

I think that perhaps the point we are missing is that we are smoking the cigar, not the price.

Brian

Alas,
The differing blends on these smokes is quite interesting. The basic drive to make it the "choice" to smoke is a sort of insanity path - at least financially.

These are way mild and smooth if you don't enjoy a really mild and subtle flavored cigar don't walk into this nightmare....

On the other hand it's always nice to have a Dom Perignon just sitting in a travel humidor..

You can still find some 100's out there with a decent price if you really "have to try um"

I had to try one after hearing and reading about the Cuban Davidoffs, a very Generous brother here at CP sent me one for my retirement, A Dom Perignon Davidoff from Cuba 1980, my review with pictures is somewhere here if you must know. :love:

Worth is subjective. Storage is key to the taste of any aged cigar, moreso with Davidoff's, IMHO. I prefer the smaller sizes, especially Ambassadrices. Most aged Davidoffs will be a dissapointment to a palate without a lot of experience, as most are mild, yet very flavorful if stored well over their lifetime.

In my fairly limited experience with big name discontinued marcas, I've preferred Dunhills to Davidoffs. Whether they're worth it or not, as has been mentioned, is very subjective.

The '87 Dom I smoked was WELL past it's prime. The last inch really told me alot about what it used to be. I was mildly dissapointed but, very fortunate that I was able to smoke one for reference. IMHO -

Had a Dunhill Atado that was outSTANDing... But not tried a Davidoff of any kind so until I do, no comment.