• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Culebras

Hmmm.. OK guys. Let's clear things up a bit.

Stlboarder - You are correct in the old cuban day's workers were allowed to enjoy the fruit of their labors and take home 3 sticks per day. Actually originated in the 19th century cigar factories to keep workers from stealing cigars. One culebra cigar was given to each employee who would usually unbind it to smoke separately throughout the day. By doing this the owners would know which employees were smoking their allotment and which were smoking the profits.

Eryxis - Traditionally they are unbraided and smoked individually, however if your feeling up to it you can smoke all at once... Make sure to have a lot of sugar packets around :)

Illusione has something very similar. I think the only difference is the Illusione are all maduro

Here are some culebras I found at a B&M in Missouri. The shop owner, whose late father-in-law previously owned the shop, said they were ordered by the late owner some years ago and have been in the humidor ever since. He said he thought they were Dominican but could not be sure. He also said he had no way to obtain any more.

gallery_6600_955_175815.jpg

Needless to say, I bought the last 8 he had.

Notice the 3 different wrappers in each bundle.

Does anyone know anything about these beyond what I was told?

Dave, any updates? Have you smoked one yet?

Hmmm.. OK guys. Let's clear things up a bit.

Stlboarder - You are correct in the old cuban day's workers were allowed to enjoy the fruit of their labors and take home 3 sticks per day. Actually originated in the 19th century cigar factories to keep workers from stealing cigars. One culebra cigar was given to each employee who would usually unbind it to smoke separately throughout the day. By doing this the owners would know which employees were smoking their allotment and which were smoking the profits.

Eryxis - Traditionally they are unbraided and smoked individually, however if your feeling up to it you can smoke all at once... Make sure to have a lot of sugar packets around :)

I was actually reading an article earlier today while at my B&M about the origin of culebras. The workers used to take home three regular sticks a day, and most of them would then sell those sticks on the black market. The owners of the factories came up with the idea of making them roll the three cigars together to make sure they would have a much lower value on the black market due to their deformity. It appears that has somewhat backfired...