• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Custom Humidifier - Microprocessor Controlled

handypilot

I did some research and there's a guy on eBay that sells a circuit board that is programed through web GUI. It can be set up to measure temp and RH%. The chip can be set up to trigger on/off at a certain temp, RH%, time, etc. and it sends a 5V 25ma signal to a solid state solenoid, which can switch power on/off to said fans. The real cool thing is you can manually control the until from anywhere that has internet! And let's say your on vacation...the unit can be set up to send you an email or text if the trigger temp and/or RH% get out of limits. This would be a great feature given I'm a pilot (gone a lot), because I couldn't expect my wife to babysit my sticks 14 days out of each month.

This whole setup cost about 1/2 the price of a Cigar Oasis and can do much more.

I'm probably going to do this and use bead sheats on the sides of my cabinet to maintain an even balance.

Do you think beads are necessary if you have a pimped out humidification system like this? I would have separate fans that are only there to circulate and there will be plenty of spanish cedar between boxes and shelfs.

Also does anyone have experiences with building custom programmable system such as this?

Cheers!

Yup, lets see the Fleabay thingie, then render an opinion.

Here is the LINK to the controller. You would need to by the temp(1) and humidity(1) sensors, fans (3-4), and solid state relays (2), 6 and 12VDC power supply(1). I already have a 6 and 12VDC power supply, so the rest would cost me about $80.

So for a total of $130 I can get a custom system that can be run over the internet. Seems pretty sweet, huh?

Here is the LINK to the controller. You would need to by the temp(1) and humidity(1) sensors, fans (3-4), and solid state relays (2), 6 and 12VDC power supply(1). I already have a 6 and 12VDC power supply, so the rest would cost me about $80.

So for a total of $130 I can get a custom system that can be run over the internet. Seems pretty sweet, huh?

Shit, if it works then that sounds pretty bad ass. The only downside is that with more moving parts the easier it is for something to break. I just put a pound and a half of beads in the vinotemp and don't even worry about it when I'm out of town because I know things are running smoothly.

Shit, if it works then that sounds pretty bad ass. The only downside is that with more moving parts the easier it is for something to break. I just put a pound and a half of beads in the vinotemp and don't even worry about it when I'm out of town because I know things are running smoothly.

You're absolutely right about the beads...set it and forget it. They seem to do the job very well, but I want to make something that has a seamless appearance...nothing that clutters up a custom humi and takes up a bunch of space.

This system should be pretty reliable though.

X2

65% beads have surprised the living shit out of me. 1 lb spread throughout my cooler has it steady at 66%-67% most of the time. I can't see how implementing that board is going to make anything hidden. Temp probe, Humidity sensor, Fans, Humidifier, Cooling unit...etc...etc.

Kindof a strange observation but...the beads can't twitter your cigar status to the world. ;)

Incidentally, while I normally like the idea of electronic controls, depending on where you are you'll want to also plan for power interruption. I once lived somewhere where I'd routinely go days without power. So a few days may not be a big deal but if you're on holiday for a month and your breaker trips while you're on your way to the airport...maybe you'll want to consider a passive backup?

Oh...You could set up an electromagnetic relay to a bead compartment with a sliding door on the side of your humidor. While there is power to the controller, the electromagnet keeps the door closed. If power is interrupted, the electromagnet releases the door, opening the hidden bead compartment.

X2

65% beads have surprised the living shit out of me. 1 lb spread throughout my cooler has it steady at 66%-67% most of the time. I can't see how implementing that board is going to make anything hidden. Temp probe, Humidity sensor, Fans, Humidifier, Cooling unit...etc...etc.

This is going to be an in-wall custom cherry cabinet lined with spanish cedar, so I can easily hide things behind the wall and outside the cabinet.

The temp and humidity sensors will be concealed, on the back of the cabinet, and you won't be able to see them with boxes in front. The fans I haven't figured out yet but I think I'm going to mount them externally and duct the airflow.

I need something I can count on and I can monitor from a hotel in B.F.E. I'm gone several weeks at a time and my wife has already told me she's not going to babysit my sticks.

Thanks for playing Devils Advocate because it is revealing some flaws in my thinking. Anyone else got any comments or can think of way to improve this design?

I think beads + vinotemp set up where the condensation actually supplies water to the beads is the best way to go. Just use a controller like this for monitoring purposes and that's it. The worst thing that can happen is you lose power and the beads just keep doing their thing. If you want to get fancy, set it up where an oasis can be activated if humidity gets too low, and position the beads to where the oasis will recharge them.
Oh and may be rig it so it emails you when the door is opened :)