• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Da Vinci Code-The movie . .

Let me start by saying I am a HUGE Dan Brown fan. Of his 4 novels I was only kind of diapointed with Deception Point. The others I loved. I think Robert Langdon is an awesome character. A bit of Indiana Jones mixed with . . well . .I dunno, but he's way cool!!

Now I realize that they announced Tom Hanks in the lead role awhile back, but during my trek (no pun intended) to Star Wars last night, I saw the first poster for the Da Vinci Code-release date 5/16/06, at the theater. It got me thinking and reminded me of how poor a choice I think he is for Robert Langdon. Don't get me wrong, I love Tom, but I am having a hard time seeing him as a Harvard Symbologist who gets mixed up in the chase that is the Da Vinci Code.

So my question to you, fellow readers and stick enjoyers-at least those who have read it- who do you think would make a good Robert Langdon? Or, why does Tom Hanks fit the bill if you think so?

I think Tom Hanks may be able to pull it off, though if he was interested I think Mel Gibson would have been a good choice. JMO.

I recall having this discussion with my wife a while back...I would say Mel Gibson, George Clooney and Pierce Brosnan (w/o the accent) would all have made better choices for the role than Hanks...IMHO anyways

I am not a Da Vinci Code fan, but I do know that multiple Oscar winner Hanks will bring many dollars to the project.

IMHO, Angels & Demons was a better book...finished that one in 3 days. DaVinci become too predictable after reading A&D...both good books though, see how close the movie follows the novel. My opinion is Hanks could pull it off very well.

Anyone hear if Clancy's Rainbow 6 is being made? Heard about that last year, and then it fizzled out.

i think hanks wil lbe just fine. he's good buddies with ron howard so that decision was pretty predictable. i thought harrison ford or clooney would have been great, but im not too worried about it.

im still trying to figure out who's playing cirus (sp?) the albino priory stong arm. ive heard rumors of jim carrey.

marcsheldon said:
i think hanks wil lbe just fine. he's good buddies with ron howard so that decision was pretty predictable. i thought harrison ford or clooney would have been great, but im not too worried about it.

im still trying to figure out who's playing cirus (sp?) the albino priory stong arm. ive heard rumors of jim carrey.
[snapback]187994[/snapback]​
ooohhh, that would be interesting. Also for the albino guy, what about Gary Oldman!?!? I could see Harrison Ford doing it, bet he is too old now. George Clooney deosn't see right to me. Kanks could pull it off. I think Mel Gibson would be interesting. And I definately sould see John Malkovich being casted in the movie!

Emo

emodx said:
marcsheldon said:
i think hanks wil lbe just fine.  he's good buddies with ron howard so that decision was pretty predictable.  i thought harrison ford or clooney would have been great, but im not too worried about it.

im still trying to figure out who's playing cirus (sp?) the albino priory stong arm.  ive heard rumors of jim carrey.
[snapback]187994[/snapback]​
ooohhh, that would be interesting. Also for the albino guy, what about Gary Oldman!?!? I could see Harrison Ford doing it, bet he is too old now. George Clooney deosn't see right to me. Kanks could pull it off. I think Mel Gibson would be interesting. And I definately sould see John Malkovich being casted in the movie!

Emo
[snapback]187997[/snapback]​
I would be highly disapointed to see Carrey as Cirrus. Now Malkovich would make an awesome Cirrus. That would be way cool!! I am still not convinced about Hanks though. Clooney wouldn't be bad for Langdon.

Rob_k said:
IMHO, Angels & Demons was a better book...finished that one in 3 days. DaVinci become too predictable after reading A&D...both good books though, see how close the movie follows the novel. My opinion is Hanks could pull it off very well.

Anyone hear if Clancy's Rainbow 6 is being made? Heard about that last year, and then it fizzled out.
[snapback]187952[/snapback]​

I totally agree about A & D, I wish they had made that movie first. But it just didn't sell like Da Vinci. Hopefully they will make it later. . .

Well, here are the announced cast roles:

Tom Hanks .... Robert Langdon
Ian McKellen .... Sir Leigh Teabing
Alfred Molina .... Bishop Aringarosa
Jean Reno .... Bezu Fache
Audrey Tautou .... Sophie Neveu

Viewed at: IMDB

I think Tom Hanks will do a great job. After his performance in Catch Me If You Can, where he had to make up for DeCrapio's idiocy, I'm sure he'll be able to pull through. He's definitely versitile enough. Since casting is set, there isn't much point, but I always pictured Richard Dean Anderson (Macgyver) or Harrison Ford when I thought of Robert Langdon.

Rainbow Six is still in Pre-casting and is scheduled for late 2006 release. Zach Snyder is directing.

Personally, I liked both Digital Fortress and Deception Point better then either A&D and DVC (actually that is the order I would rank them.)

Treamayne said:
Since casting is set, there isn't much point, but I always pictured Richard Dean Anderson (Macgyver) or Harrison Ford when I thought of Robert Langdon.
[snapback]188026[/snapback]​

Macgyver wouldn't be bad. I think Harrison Ford may be too old at this point, but 10 - 15 years ago would have been perfect.

Angels and Demons I think is by far the bestof his books. I also think all his books get a little predictable after reading A&D and Davinci Code.

I also loved the book. For the main character, I would think that, Pierce Brosnan could be a good choice. Either way, I can't wait to see it.

When I finished the book I thought: this would make a great Hollywood mainstream movie. I think someone older would fit Langdon's part better, maybe a Brittish actor :)

ParaGod said:
I also loved the book.  For the main character, I would think that, Pierce Brosnan could be a good choice.  Either way, I can't wait to see it.
[snapback]188120[/snapback]​

I must disagree.... Brosnan has not yet had a part he didn't play as if it was some variation of Remington Steele. One of the few highly overrated actors that I try to avoid when possible. But that's just me.

On another note.... Robin Williams for the Camerlengo in A&D. I just picture him in the end scenes going up in the helo and on the Cathedral afterward and it seems a natural choice to me.

-K-

Lemon said:
When I finished the book I thought: this would make a great Hollywood mainstream movie. I think someone older would fit Langdon's part better, maybe a Brittish actor :)
[snapback]188238[/snapback]​

Like John Cleese? :laugh:

grand cru no 2 said:
Lemon said:
[snapback]188238[/snapback]​

Like John Cleese? :laugh:
[snapback]188290[/snapback]​

LoL :D If you're aiming for a comedy, why not ;)

emodx said:
Damn, why didn't I think of it earlier. Russell Crowe as the lead.
[snapback]188284[/snapback]​

I thought about Crowe, but I just don't think its a fit...I think Clooney would be better. You can't go British w/Langdon, that was the whole thing..he was more of a bumbling American Professor, who was unaware of how good looking and charismatic he was, not to mention brilliant. If you did go Brit you would have to lose the accent . .now that I say that-what about Clive Owen-minus the accent. I think he would fit . .

kiltedcraftsman said:
emodx said:
Damn, why didn't I think of it earlier. Russell Crowe as the lead.
[snapback]188284[/snapback]​

I thought about Crowe, but I just don't think its a fit...I think Clooney would be better. You can't go British w/Langdon, that was the whole thing..he was more of a bumbling American Professor, who was unaware of how good looking and charismatic he was, not to mention brilliant. If you did go Brit you would have to lose the accent . .now that I say that-what about Clive Owen-minus the accent. I think he would fit . .
[snapback]188416[/snapback]​
Ater the performance Crowe gave playing a crazy professor, and how women swooned over his looks and athleticism in Gradiator, I think it would be a great pick. But that's just my opinion whcih really doesnt count for crap around here. lol

Emo

emodx said:
Ater the performance Crowe gave playing a crazy professor, and how women swooned over his looks and athleticism in Gradiator, I think it would be a great pick. But that's just my opinion whcih really doesnt count for crap around here. lol

Emo
[snapback]188427[/snapback]​

Emo,
Don't be so hard on yourself
You get just as much crap for your opinion as anyone else :laugh:

Bill