• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dark Beer Night ***PICTURES ADDED!

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
I love fall and winter because it gives me an excuse to drink the high alcohol, high calorie beers that warm the body this time of year. I am hosting a stout tasting in a couple of weeks, and here is what I am pulling from the cellar.. Once its all said and done I will of course post some pics. :D

What do you guys like to drink in the winter?

From left to Right – BeerAdvocate Score, Top 100 Ranking (if applicable), Beer, Year, ABV

95 (2) Three Floyds – Dark Lord (2007) 13%
95 (2) Three Floyds - Dark Lord (2006) 13%
94 (3) Founders – Kentucky Breakfast Stout (2007) 10%
93 (9) Deschutes – The Abyss (2006) 11%
93 (10) Stone – Russian Imperial Stout (2004) 10.8%
93 (11) AleSmith Brewing Co – AlesSmith Speedway Stout (2007) 12%
93 (14) Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) (2007) 9%
93 (15) Founder - Breakfast Stout (2007) 8.3%
92 (24) Goose Island – Bourbon County Stout (2006) 11%
91 (63) Oskar Blues – Ten Fidy (2007) 10%
90 - Dogfish Head – World Wide Stout (2003) 18%
88 - Saint Louis Brewery – Schlafly Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2006) 10.5%

:love: I think I love you :love:

that's a great line up for a tasting...

In addition to those I listed in dk_ace's thread I like:
Baltika 6
Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Left Hand Impy Stout

I also have a few bottles of 2003 Avery The Czar left that I'll pull out for special nights

My two favorite stouts are fairly light weight:

Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout
ABV 5% • Vol 500 ml • bottle • UK

Ceylon Brewery Lion Stout
ABV 8% • Vol 330 ml • bottle • Sri Lanka •

From my favorite beer site: The Oxford Bottled Beer Database
http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/

95 (2) Three Floyds – Dark Lord (2007) 13%
95 (2) Three Floyds - Dark Lord (2006) 13%
94 (3) Founders – Kentucky Breakfast Stout (2007) 10%
93 (9) Deschutes – The Abyss (2006) 11%
93 (10) Stone – Russian Imperial Stout (2004) 10.8%
93 (11) AleSmith Brewing Co – AlesSmith Speedway Stout (2007) 12%
93 (14) Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) (2007) 9%
93 (15) Founder - Breakfast Stout (2007) 8.3%
92 (24) Goose Island – Bourbon County Stout (2006) 11%
91 (63) Oskar Blues – Ten Fidy (2007) 10%
90 - Dogfish Head – World Wide Stout (2003) 18%
88 - Saint Louis Brewery – Schlafly Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2006) 10.5%
That's quite a lineup!!! Very nice to have those in your cellar!! Look forward to seeing the pics and hearing some of the comments the tasters make!
Cheers!!!

Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout...11%ABV

Just got a bottle of that in a trade, haven't tried it yet but from what I have read it sounds fantastic. I heard it goes for around $8 a six pack which is a steal for a big beer like that!

Two that I've recently had for the first time that I'm loving:

Okocim Baltic Porter (not real "big", but sooooo smooth)
Pannepot Old Fisherman's Ale

That's a hell of a line up. I'm a big barley wine fan when it starts getting cold.
I always make sure to cellar Big Foot and drink the different years.
Some others I like are
Great Divide Old Ruffian
Avery Hog Heaven
JW Lees Harvest Ale
Stone Old Guardian

BTW I popped open one of those Ten Fiddy's. Great stuff. Thanks again Jonas!

I'm drinking Aventinus ATM and when thats finished I'm going to pour a goblet full of cold Westmalle Dubbel that my Dutch friend brought a case of with him the last time he visited (he brought Chimay Red the time before that, he is a good friend indeed!).

Okocim Baltic Porter (not real "big", but sooooo smooth)

Good call Justin. I just had my first one of those and loved it! :love:

That's a hell of a line up. I'm a big barley wine fan when it starts getting cold.
I always make sure to cellar Big Foot and drink the different years.
Some others I like are
Great Divide Old Ruffian
Avery Hog Heaven
JW Lees Harvest Ale
Stone Old Guardian

BTW I popped open one of those Ten Fiddy's. Great stuff. Thanks again Jonas!

MMMMMMM barleywine... All of the beers you listed are mainstays in my beer fridge. At the moment I tend to enjoy the English style a bit more then the American Style but it fluctuates.

The other night I had the J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin Whisky Cask). It was tasty but a bit to smoky for my taste. Now the J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale is one of the best beers I have ever had.

The other night I had the J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin Whisky Cask). It was tasty but a bit to smoky for my taste. Now the J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale is one of the best beers I have ever had.

If you can find the Port wood version, give it a shot. It is a lot more subtle (We're big port fans at our house). That Lagavulin one is was almost little much for me. Very sweet as well. I bought a couple when I was putting together my BIF package, because some bastard bought all the port ones.
So Jonesy if you haven't drank it yet, you might give it some time.

Christ Jonas... That is one helluva line-up bro!!! :love:
Out of your list, I've had ONE!!! I need to get out more... LOL!!!

Well last night was our "Darkest Night" stout tasting and man what a freaking time it was. Here are a couple pictures of the lineup, we drank everything listed in the first post except the 2006 Dark Lord but we added a Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve #5 at the last minute to replace it.

Here is how I would rank the top 5 best of the night:

1. 2003 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Absolutely amazing, we drank it second to last and it still blew the others away after all that drinking.
2. 2004 Stone Russian Imperial - We drank it first but it stood out all night.
3. 2007 Dark Lord - Excellent as always
4. 2007 Alesmith Speedway Stout - Like all of the others this one is hard to get but worth it.
5. 2007 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Would have ranked higher but it needs a little time as it was just bottled 10/12/07

We were feeling pretty good towards the end but decided to finish the night with a DFH 120 from 2006 and a DFH Golden Shower Imperial Pils. :thumbs:

gallery_3705_39_175071.jpg

gallery_3705_39_295276.jpg

what a pretty site ... just picked me up a bottle of each: Speedway Stout, Old Viscosity, Meantime London Porter, Drake's Imperial Stout, Samuel Adams Cream Stout (6pack) ... can't wait to try them.

That's a fantastic lineup Jonas! I'm still surprised the Abyss didn't crack the top five though. The only WWS I've had was fresh and it was amazing, I can't imagine how good the bottle from '03 must have been.

That's a fantastic lineup Jonas! I'm still surprised the Abyss didn't crack the top five though. The only WWS I've had was fresh and it was amazing, I can't imagine how good the bottle from '03 must have been.

I know, I went back and forth with the Abyss and the GI Bourbon County Stout for the fifth spot. While they were both awesome, the aging potential of the BCS is far better IMO so I chose it. Tough decisions for sure!

hehe, you ever have too many in your cellar, just holler at me. I can get there and "help" ya out with em! Mighty fine looking assortment of good looking beers bro!

Back