• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff Aniversario No. 1

Outsidesmoke

So I was browsing my favorite local B&M and I came across the most expensive cigar in the shop, the Davidoff Aniversario No. 1. Now I would never spend $30 bucks on a cigar, but I was curious what made it so expensive. After using the search button and a quick google I could not find a decent review of this cigar, not even on the Davidoff website. Has anyone ever had one of these and care to share their experience?

So I was browsing my favorite local B&M and I came across the most expensive cigar in the shop, the Davidoff Aniversario No. 1. Now I would never spend $30 bucks on a cigar, but I was curious what made it so expensive. After using the search button and a quick google I could not find a decent review of this cigar, not even on the Davidoff website. Has anyone ever had one of these and care to share their experience?
Just my guess but...
1. the Davidoff name (75%)
2. higher quality standards and reject rate (15%)
3. higher tobacco quality (10%)

For the analogous Zino Platinum Crown series..
1. the Zino Davidoff name (80%)
2. excessive marketing, packaging (15%)
3. higher tobacco and quality standards (5%)

I've never had one. I have had a $30 Perdomo Edicion de Silvio and I can honestly it was not worth quarter of that in terms of raw smoking experience. In terms of raw smoking pleasure (shedding the nice rum, sunny day, comfy lounge chair, chatty friends, etc.) I've never had a non-Cuban that was worth $30 to me.

Wilkey

I've never had a non-Cuban that was worth $30 to me.

Wilkey

And I've never had a Cuban worth that much. I personally find 99% of all the LE cigars to be highly over-hyped and over-rated.

The most expensive cigar I enjoy on a semi-regular basis is the Padrón 80th.

It's hard to justify $30 for any cigar, but you will find Davidoff lovers and haters out there. I was put off by the prohibitive price tag as well as the general consensus regarding Davidoff's. I've heard a number of people say they are overpriced mild cigars. As a result, I never tried one until I was gifted an Aniversario No. 3 earlier this year by a fine CP BOTL. I posted the review here. Since that time, I've been on a search to recreated my previous Davidoff experience, but to no avail. I got hold of 2 more #2 Tubo's fresh off the truck, and they were decent mild cigars, but no where near the exquisitly flavorful experience that I had earlier. In my limited experience, I'm guessing that these cigars need some age to shine. However, when they are on, they are some of the best cigars available.

edit for typos

Time with Davidoff's seems to make them even better but smoking them right in the shop is always a pleasure.

These, inparticular, are a mild cigar - flavorful to personal taste.

I enjoy heavier smokes - the Millenium Blend.

However, I have not found a more refined cigar manufacturer.

These are worth a 'try', as is all of the Davidoff White Label line.

Be careful!!!
If you do find you like these...well, find out first! ;)

Wilkey

I must agree with Wilkey on this $30 is way out there. I did have a Panamanian girl once for a whole week that was well worth $30, oh we are talking cigars. Sorry press on.

I am a sucker for the Davidoff line, but alas there price point is way north of an every day or occasional cigar.

Wilkey

I must agree with Wilkey on this $30 is way out there. I did have a Panamanian girl once for a whole week that was well worth $30, oh we are talking cigars. Sorry press on.

I am a sucker for the Davidoff line, but alas there price point is way north of an every day or occasional cigar.

Hilarious! :thumbs:

I've never had one. I have had a $30 Perdomo Edicion de Silvio and I can honestly it was not worth quarter of that in terms of raw smoking experience. In terms of raw smoking pleasure (shedding the nice rum, sunny day, comfy lounge chair, chatty friends, etc.) I've never had a non-Cuban that was worth $30 to me.

Wilkey

I've never had any cigar that was worth $30 to me... and I've had some pretty exotic stuff (Cuban and non-Cuban). Country of origin is meaningless.

The Padron 80ths are great, but I prefer the AF DC EdA above them. Worth $30.... not really.

While not quite $30, the DCM Stanford's 90th is worth every penny of $20-$25, imo.

Moki - have you had the opportunity of smoking the new Don Arturo Gran AniverXario? Amazing smokes. Overpriced as all hell? Yes - but everyone needs to try one at the very minimum. Make it a super special occasion smoke or something. Phenomenal cigar. Then again, the $60 price tag truly forces me examine the psychosomatic preconceptions of smoking it.

Which brings me to the Stradivarius... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Padron 80ths are great, but I prefer the AF DC EdA above them. Worth $30.... not really.

While not quite $30, the DCM Stanford's 90th is worth every penny of $20-$25, imo.

Moki - have you had the opportunity of smoking the new Don Arturo Gran AniverXario? Amazing smokes. Overpriced as all hell? Yes - but everyone needs to try one at the very minimum. Make it a super special occasion smoke or something. Phenomenal cigar. Then again, the $60 price tag truly forces me examine the psychosomatic preconceptions of smoking it.

Your right, i do need to try one, adress in in my profile.. :rolleyes:

But seriously the most i have spent was 100 for a tin of opus x and i did not know i was getting hosed on them. So tonight i will be lighting up my own 33.33 cent smoke! I may cry a little bit. :sign:

I don't think I could justify $30 for a cigar. I have a hard time justifying $20 for an Opus

I've had several - and they are an awesome cigar. Their hallmark is consistency, their construction is the definition of perfect, their draw is as good as it gets, their taste is incredible. I wish all my cigars smoked and looked like these.

I would call this my "reward myself with a special cigar" kind of cigar. Not something I usually smoke, but if I'm looking for something very nice - I'll grab one. And I wouldn't hesitate to gift one of these to another BOTL for a special occasion. because it is a special cigar.

I would not even compare these to the well overpriced Edicion de Silvio's. That cigar is a whole different critter, from a whole different world.

I sense, though - quite a few would smoke this and say, "mehhh - not worth the pricetag". Of course - I've heard that Opus X is "Bland, Mild and Tasteless" . But it's very much like saying Lexus is the same as a Toyota - why spend the extra money? Or - my Chevy is perfect and can beat the crap out of a BMW any day!

All in ones perspective, I suppose...

Davidoff's rarely go on sale - but when they do - These are typically what I jump on just to have a few laying around. :thumbs:

My shop had a huge blowout sale on Stradivarius - I believe they had them priced at $10. I guess they did not sell very well at MSRP...

The only Davidoff I have had was a Millenium lancero and I was VERY dissapointed, it tasted like I was smoking a bale of hay. Good thing It was given to me, I wouldn't have paid 3 dollars for that cigar.

The last Davidoff I had was one of these...

dpdgp6.jpg

I wasn't too impressed with it.

Now the Davidoff Aniversario No. 3 is worth the money for a "reward" cigar every once in a while IMHO.

The Davidoff line has many cigars that I love and many I do not even like. The Millenium is my favorite regular line. They have many special release cigars that I enjoy very much. They are my favorite Vegas cigar, unless I am at Casa Fuente. The Aniversario line is good IMO!

The Millenium lancero is one on the to try list for sure! Even more interested, now that I hear they taste like hay! :laugh:

The only Davidoff I have had was a Millenium lancero and I was VERY dissapointed, it tasted like I was smoking a bale of hay. Good thing It was given to me, I wouldn't have paid 3 dollars for that cigar.

Hmmm...

I enjoyed it very much and I didn't taste a "hay" flavor at all. I'd definitely smoke these again.

I could have gotten a bad one...I mean I was so surprised when I lit it up and I wanted to throw it out, i guess it tasted more like fresh cut grass than hay but either way I did not like it.

Which Don Arturo Gran AniverXario did you have, the Sun Grown or the Natural? The Sun Grown is a Don Arturo Destino al Siglo "13" cigar (AF 13)... which are quite tasty IMHO.

I had the sun grown at first. Loved it. Just PM'ed you. Nat isn't quite as good.