• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff

occifer143

The reviews on these say these are "THE HOLY GRAIL" of Isoms. I have not tried one of these unique cigars nor have I tried a Dunhill. So my question to you all is the cost on these worth the taste? I don't mind paying for a great taste but, this is over the cost of a premium cigar. I know, before you all jump on me about being in the US, I only smoke Isoms on a Cruise out side of the US boundries. Part two of my question is what would be the maxium amount you would be willing to pay for a SUPER PREMIUM.

I have a couple resting. Its more the mystique of the cigar than the absolute awesome taste.

Hey Bud,

I just give you my personal opinion which BTW some of my collector friends are in agreement. Davidoff #1 and 2 are smooth cigars but nothing to write home about. Most of these, obviously, there is no history of how they have been stored and you see a variety of tastes. But the ones I had were mediocre at best. Nothing bad but definitely not worth the price in my book.

Dom Perignon is a great cigar if you can find a reliable source. They go for anywhere from $100-150 a stick, if they sell them as an individual. If you can get your hands on a Chateau Haut Brion you have scored a major coup. Worth anything they would charge you. I was fortunate enough to be given two sticks as an engagement gift from a serious collector friend of mine who bought a box, along with two boxes of #1's and one Dom. from Christies. Smoked one and was in a trance the whole time and keeping the other one until I win the Nobel Prize, or something special like that.

I have seen Dunhill Montecristo's from the 70's around Phoenix area for $350.00. How rich are you? :)

It's the old adage if you have to ask about price you can't afford it. The Davidoff's are in the $110-150 range. The Dunhill's are in the $200-300 range. Are they worth that kind of cash? It will be up to you to make that type of decision and maybe the spousal unit after she finds out, LOL

Dunhill Estupendos range from $350-$600 per stick (10-ct box). I can't imagine paying that much for a cigar. Smoking one, yes. Paying for one, no way.

I have a friend who in recent months spent in the six figures on a Davidoff and Dunhill collecting jag. It's small change to him, and perhaps if I had the means I might. However, I don't think so. The value I place on a cigar tops out at maybe a hundred bucks and I could probably only bring myself to do this one time in my life.

Wilkey

It's all about the name for most of us. I have smoked a Davidoff and a Dunhill, but I have had much better cigars. It was hard to smoke one of those cigars w/o thinking "Man...I'm smoking a freakin' Davidoff/Dunhill!"

I've had better. If it was a blind smoke, I would probably have said it was a decent cigar, but not much more than that. I don't think it's worth paying the extra premium for a well kept box or a 5'er unless you came into a buttload of money.

If you really want a treat, there is a guy in San Diego that sells pre-embargo cigars that are on par with the cost of Davi's on Dunny's.

I would never live to smoke somthing that expensive :0

My wife would KILL me :laugh:

I have seen mid 80s Davidoffs and Dunhills for around 100/stick. Right now I just couldn't justify it.

If you really want a treat, there is a guy in San Diego that sells pre-embargo cigars that are on par with the cost of Davi's on Dunny's.

Do you have an addy and/or other contact information, please PM.

Thanks

Brian

The reviews on these say these are "THE HOLY GRAIL" of Isoms. I have not tried one of these unique cigars nor have I tried a Dunhill. So my question to you all is the cost on these worth the taste? I don't mind paying for a great taste but, this is over the cost of a premium cigar. I know, before you all jump on me about being in the US, I only smoke Isoms on a Cruise out side of the US boundries. Part two of my question is what would be the maxium amount you would be willing to pay for a SUPER PREMIUM.

I'll let you know after this after my December vacation! :D

I'll let you know after this after my December vacation! :D

So is THAT when the first of these are getting smoked??? LOL.

I've been working on adding some of these "Holy Grail" cigars to my collection recently, I will eventually smoke these cigars but it's currently about finding them. Are they worth the cost? sure they are, "to me", it's a hobby/collection that I get plenty of enjoyment from. Not just the smoking but the hunting, commoraderie, and eventually the experience of smoking these cigars. Of couse the collecting mentality has been with me all of my life .... Hot Wheels as a kid, bugs, rocks, Albums/CD's, guitars, DVD's, wine as an adult.

What would be the maximum amount I would be willing to pay? I'm not sure yet as I haven't reached it :laugh: . I once thought paying $35 for bottle of wine was crazy, now that's what I pay for a daily drinker.

:cool:

I have seen mid 80s Davidoffs and Dunhills for around 100/stick. Right now I just couldn't justify it.

There are much better smokes to be had for the money. I've had a number of them, and they've been good... but the only reason I can see raving about them is to justify the price you've paid.

That being said, it may very well be worth the price to you to have the experience of smoking one of these cigars.

I've smoked quite a few Davidoffs and Dunhills and can say that I've only been dissappointed in a small number of them. Now, I am getting these from highly respected places, so there's no question of provenance. Each have there own distinct personality and whether or not something is worth it is a personal opinion. I've rarely been upset at myself for spending "too much" for a cigar, because I know before I buy it whether or not it'll be worth it to me.

FWIW, here's a listing of cA reviews of Davidoffs:

Cuban Davidoff Test Results
1000: A punchy little cigar with a lot of flavor, the 1000 shows medium-bodied, rich tobacco and coffee character, yet remains subtle and elegant. -91

Ambassadrice: This is always a lovely panetela to smoke with medium-bodied, rich coffee and milk-chocolate aromas and flavors, and a long fresh aftertaste. Their only drawback is that they sometimes are a little rough to draw. -88

2000: Mellow and rich, the 2000 is a full-bodied cigar with lots of spicy nutty character and opulent flavors in the aftertaste. -91

3000: An easy, rich cigar with the fine draw and lovely construction. With each draw it delivers more and more flavor. -89

Château Margaux: Burns wonderfully. This cigar is packed with rich tobacco flavor yet remains refined. It's medium-bodied with a cedarlike tobacco character and a wonderful draw.-92

Château Mouton-Rothschild: A big voluptuous cigar with round and rich leather tobacco character and a wonderful draw. -94

4000: The surprise of the tasting, the 4000 is a knockout with spellbinding aromas and flavors of cedars and tobacco. It's an absolutely seductive smoke. -97

No.2: Full-bodied and rich for such an elegant-looking cigar, the No.2 burns wonderfully and delivers plenty of flavor. -93

Château Haut-Brion: This has always been a powerful smoke for such a little cigar. Sometimes we find the Haut-Brion a little overpowering but it can be a great quick cigar following a big meal. -86

Aniversario 80: This cigar was made to celebrate Zino Davidoff's 80th birthday. It is generous and rich with full-bodied flavors of cedar and tobacco, yet it remains refined on the palate. -99

Dom Perignon: The DP has always been a favorite, a bench mark for Churchill-sized cigars. It's full-bodied with intense spicy, earthy cocoa character that continues through the last puff. -96

No.1: Medium-bodied and firmly constructed, the No.1 delivers exotic aromas and flavors with hints of leather and tobacco. -94

Château Latour: A wonderfully rich cigar with loads of cedar, tobacco character and fine even burn. -94

I have yet to try the following: Margaux, Mouton-Rothschild, Aniversario 80, but have had multiples of the others, though the Latours I've had were limited to just a couple. I pretty much concur with these reviews. As far as Dunhills, my experience is more limited and I've only smoked about three-four of the Dunhill vitolas, with the Atados being the most and also the best, of the bunch.

I have yet to try the following: Margaux, Mouton-Rothschild, Aniversario 80, but have had multiples of the others, though the Latours I've had were limited to just a couple. I pretty much concur with these reviews. As far as Dunhills, my experience is more limited and I've only smoked about three-four of the Dunhill vitolas, with the Atados being the most and also the best, of the bunch.

I by far prefer the taste of the old Cuban Dunhills to the Davidoffs. Very different cigars, so perhaps it's just taste, but it also seems to me that the Dunhills have stood up to the test of time better.

There are much better smokes to be had for the money. I've had a number of them, and they've been good... but the only reason I can see raving about them is to justify the price you've paid.

That being said, it may very well be worth the price to you to have the experience of smoking one of these cigars.

Interesting. What do you reccomened?