• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DEAL on a cheap Wine Cooler

Maybe a real dumb question but why do you all feel the need to bypass the internal temp setting?? Does it not do it very well? It would seem to me that even if it fluctuates a little bit it will not cause an issue? Thanks all!!!

Don

Maybe a real dumb question but why do you all feel the need to bypass the internal temp setting?? Does it not do it very well? It would seem to me that even if it fluctuates a little bit it will not cause an issue? Thanks all!!!

Don

I'm wondering the same thing. I figured I'd just plug it in, probably set it on 65F, put in a couple pounds of beads, and fill 'er up. I could see possibly adding a small fan to move air around, however these aren't huge cabinets, so would it be absolutely necessary to add an extra fan (or two or three...)?

opus998.jpg

opus1000.jpg

opus1002.jpg

Temp control keeps the unit from running all the time.

Oooohhh that's awesome! I can see mine getting full already! So what's this Ranco thing I keep reading about? :D ??? :whistling:

It's here! :0

Now I need a cheap Johnson or Ranco control unit. Any ideas? I'm not too sure I can wire one myself.

Ranco is the way to go. Check Ebay. If you have any questions on wiring, shoot me a PM.

Bill

edit: spelling

You don't think a cheap Johnson Analog unit like the A19 would work? Don't get me wrong, I dig the Ranco units digital display, but is it that much more accurate than the Johnson?

Thanks for your help Bill, I have a feeling I'm going to need it. :whistling:

Not necessarily any better than the A19, but easier to use, temp is displayed on the readout, and the thermometer is smaller. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the back of my original unit to pass the thermometer through, and then sealed it up with expanding foam insulation. The A19 temp probe is about 3/4 inch accross, and I didnt want to make that big of a hole. I also didnt want to have it passing through the seal on the front door to accomodate it.

They are both good units though, I just decided I liked the Ranco better. :D

Thanks for the help all. :) I, like Greg, thought it would be much simpler. Are they hard to wire in? Good thing the cooler was cheap, as now I have to go back to the wife and tell her that not only am I spending another 70 bills on 2 lbs of beads, but now 40 on a temp control, plus another like 40 for fans, AC-DC converter, and a timer setup. lolol. :) Oh well, its only money!!!

Don

P.S. Now will have no damn cash to fill it up!!!!

I'm gonna run it for a day and see what the temps are with the control in it. Maybe put a couple a gerbils in there with a couple of those wheel thingys with fins for circulation. Some spanish cedar chips for 'em to bed in. :laugh:

Now I need a cheap Johnson or Ranco control unit. Any ideas? I'm not too sure I can wire one myself.

Ranco is the way to go. Check Ebay. If you have any questions on wiring, shoot me a PM.

Bill

You don't think a cheap Johnson Analog unit like the A19 would work? Don't get me wrong, I dig the Ranco units digital display, but is it that much more accurate than the Johnson?

Not necessarily any better than the A19, but easier to use, temp is displayed on the readout, and the thermometer is smaller. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the back of my original unit to pass the thermometer through, and then sealed it up with expanding foam insulation. The A19 temp probe is about 3/4 inch accross, and I didnt want to make that big of a hole. I also didnt want to have it passing through the seal on the front door to accomodate it.

Never thought of that. Really an interesting idea. I wonder if you could disconnect the copper cord from the control unit of an A19 and run it through the drip opening already in the cooler?

Bill

Never thought of that. Really an interesting idea. I wonder if you could disconnect the copper cord from the control unit of an A19 and run it through the drip opening already in the cooler?

Definitely a possibility. I have an old A19 laying around here someplace. If I can find it, I will take a look. I seem to recall Johnson cautioning against removing or splicing the lead to it, but I don't remember now.

Got my Wine Cooler today!

The box looked like they tried an Aerial Delivery, but it looked great on the inside. I inspected every inch of it and not a ding, not a scratch.

The back right foot peg is slightly bent I think, but I twisted it a few times and the unit is level.

Overall, I'm extremely please with the condition, size, and look of the unit. Time to start the project!!!!

Got mine yesterday as well, all looks good.

I looked on the manufacturers website and it stated that the temp knob fluctuated between 53-59, so one of the first things is to try and hack the thermostat..

Will update later

Got mine yesterday as well. Delivered in perfect condition. It is airing out at home as we speak.

Got both of mine yesterday in perfect condition. Nice! Got the wife trying to figure out where the hell to put 'em!

Anyone ever stack one on top the other? :)

Never stacked two. My only concern would be the heat generated by the top one, making the bottom one work a little harder.

edit fer piss pour grammer.

I feel left out since you all got yours yesterday. I better get home to one today so I can give it the old once over and then tell the wife what I have planned for it!!!

Don

I feel left out since you all got yours yesterday. I better get home to one today so I can give it the old once over and then tell the wife what I have planned for it!!!

Don

If you haven't told her what you have planned for it, it may be to late. You will get home to a wine-o-dor filled with, dare I say it, wine!! :p

It will be nicely chilled though, and your wife will undoubtedly thank you for getting it for her!