• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diamon Crown Maximus No. 5 Robusto

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
The Diamond Crown Maximus line is a fairly pricey line from Arturo Fuente and they can be difficult to find. These are not to be confused with the regular Diamond Crowns which are all 54 ring gauge and are a pretty mild cigar.

All sizes of DC Maximus are 50 ring and have an Ecuador sungrown wrapper that is dark and sweet, very similar to a maduro but it is not classified as a maduro. The DC Maximus are considered a medium to full bodied cigar and IMO are much better than the regular Diamond Crowns.

The Robusto #5 generally goes for $12.00

Pre-light draw: A nice, Havana-like draw that was not too loose but not too tight either, just about perfect.

Construction: A very well constructed cigar, nice looking and firm.

Burn: Nice, even burn with a light grey ash and a fair amount of smoke. No problems with going out while I smoked it thus no re-lights necessary.

Taste: A very nice tasting wrapper.

Finish: Whatever, as I've mentioned before, I'm not quite sure of the concept of "finish" but it tasted the same to me from start to finish.

Overall this is a pretty good cigar but DC Maximus' are kind of pricey. I generally pull these out of passes to enjoy from time to time but I would proably never buy a box.

On the cA rating scale:

Wait a minute CC, these weren't made in Cuba..... How did they end up in your humidor?? :0 :0

;)

Nice review/overview of the DC Maximus. I did a box split of the robustos a bit ago and enjoyed it very much. Just came across a deal on the big ol' double corona.....I am anxious to give that a try and to see what others think of this line...

Patrick

Nice review, I have liked the dozen or so of the ones I've had.

CC, nice pick! :thumbs:

They are in my top 5 fav's!

Nice review. The DC Maximus is one of my favorite non-ISOM smokes. Recently purchased and split a box of the robustos. The toros are great as well. I put these right up with the La Aurora 100 Anos.

cigardawg said:
Nice review. The DC Maximus is one of my favorite non-ISOM smokes. Recently purchased and split a box of the robustos. The toros are great as well. I put these right up with the La Aurora 100 Anos.
[snapback]173569[/snapback]​

These, too, are in my top 5 category. Especially the Churchill size!!! Certainly, they are on the expensive side, and are more difficult to find then other comparable cigars, but definitely worth finding and smoking! I'm surprised I don't hear more about these, especially with the number of Opus rave posts I see. To me, they are complimentary to one another...

I have not tried the Diamond Crown line yet to compare. They are on my short list to smoke. I have one resting, waiting for the torch... I also have a LA 100 waiting for torch!!! We'll see...

cigardawg said:
[snapback]173569[/snapback]​

The Maximus #5 is excellent. I pick them up from time to time and they are a favorite of mine to send out in trades/bombs/lotterys because although a little hard to obtain they don't suffer from price inflation like PAM, Opus, 100 Anos do.

-Matt-

Smoked my first one last night and in two words loved it! I will definetly be buying more of these I must say that so far these had the most perfect draw i've i've tried yet so far. And the flavor was wonderfull from start to finish. No burn issues whatsoever with mine my buddies needed correcting once but other than that he said his was wonderful also.

CC, just picked up a DCM robusto today. I got mine for $9.50. I am going to fire it up after dinner. Thanks for the nice review that got me interested in trying this smoke.

Ree

KayakinBoy said:

[snapback]173560[/snapback]​

KB, how did I know you would posting in this thread????? I also LOVE these smokes, and have actually had a bunch of them. I honestly think that most people in Chatt-town have no idea about them, because Burns always has them in stock. I keep hearing about how hard they are to get, but they always have them in. I have a churchill and a toro in the humi right now. I dig on the toro the most, but they are all awesome. Great smokes, and a little cheaper than the PAM's you all know I love so much.

opusxfiles said:
KayakinBoy said:

KB, how did I know you would posting in this thread????? I also LOVE these smokes, and have actually had a bunch of them. I honestly think that most people in Chatt-town have no idea about them, because Burns always has them in stock. I keep hearing about how hard they are to get, but they always have them in. I have a churchill and a toro in the humi right now. I dig on the toro the most, but they are all awesome. Great smokes, and a little cheaper than the PAM's you all know I love so much.
[snapback]177038[/snapback]​

Burns does keep a good selection in stock. I've heard from Eshaw along with people from out west, that Opus is the East as DCM is to the West. Plus, burns is one of the few shops I've seen that has them in most of the time.

KayakinBoy said:
opusxfiles said:
KayakinBoy said:
CC, nice pick!  :thumbs:

[snapback]177038[/snapback]​

Burns does keep a good selection in stock. I've heard from Eshaw along with people from out west, that Opus is the East as DCM is to the West. Plus, burns is one of the few shops I've seen that has them in most of the time.
[snapback]177041[/snapback]​

That makes alot of sense, because getting an Opus around here is like finding 100 dollars in your pants pocket...it never happens...although, I scored 6 opus yesterday in Asheville. I was going to buy more, but they put a cap on me!

CC, just picked up a DCM robusto today. I got mine for $9.50. I am going to fire it up after dinner. Thanks for the nice review that got me interested in trying this smoke.

Ree

Just got one in a trade, and did a search and found this threadby CC. I also am going to spark one up after dinner like ree ree robusto did....so more will be revealed....... :thumbs:

I can get my hands on three boxes maybe four if you all are really interested... The prices would be right trust me..

Call me weird but I like DCMs more then most Opus I've had.

Call me weird but I like DCMs more then most Opus I've had.
I agree with you. I can appreciate the spiceyness of an Opus when it is "on", but DCM's are "on" a hell of a lot more than Opus are.

Nice review CC. I've had one of these, and here's what I left of it:

Guess1.jpg

I have another sitting in the new humi waiting to be dessert after a nice huge striploin steak.

As a note, the B&M I go to in Detroit have boxes of DCMs in different sizes last time I was there, but at the time, they were out of my budget. I don't remember pricing, but I'll be back there week after next when I get back from vacation and will check $$ on all sizes available if anybody would like me to score some for them.

I smoked my first DCM a few day ago. It was a Robusto No.5, and it was gifted to me by a VERY generous BOTL at the PacNW herf... THANKS JIM!!!

First, I have to say that I love the bands on these sticks!!!

Picture004.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

The construction on this stick was amazing!!!
As far as tastes go, IMO, not quite as much "kick" as I like in my smokes! But as far as how this stick smoked... That part was great!!!

Picture009-1.jpg

Even burn, effortless draw, ton of smoke, zero touch-ups, and a nice ash!!!

Overall, pretty damn good smoke! Would I smoke another? HELL YES!!! ;) Would I purchase a box... Meh, I doubt it!
Swissy, once again, thanks you for the chance to give this smoke a shot!!! You are a true BOTL!!! :thumbs:
Well, that's about all you get out of my reviews... PICTURES!!!
One day, hopefully, I can be a little more descriptive!!! :blush:

Thanks again Jim!!!

:thumbs:

No worries! I actually like these... I thought they had a decent, somewhat spicy taste. but it's been awhile- guess I better torch another to make sure they are still what i thought they were! :laugh:

nice pics David- and glad you enjoyed it