• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diamond Pet Food Users

Just found out that some of the dog food from Diamond Pet Foods is contaminated and your dogs health may be at risk.

Due to the discovery of aflatoxin, Diamond Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of certain pet food products manufactured in our Gaston, S.C. facility and distributed to states in the eastern U.S.

If you suspect your pet has symptoms associated with aflatoxin, please consult your veterinarian immediately.

It only affects a small segment of their product. Just trying to get the word out.

My dog get's Wellness Fish & Potato, but thanks for the heads up. I actually never heard of this food and I worked in a boarding kennel. Go figure.

I tried to give my dog the premium brands like Flint River Ranch, Innova, Welness etc. In the end just about all she enjoys for doggie food is Beneful..

Too be fair, the beneful LOOKS yummier to eat than the rest... must be doggie junk food.

Mindflux said:
I tried to give my dog the premium brands like Flint River Ranch, Innova, Welness etc. In the end just about all she enjoys for doggie food is Beneful..

Too be fair, the beneful LOOKS yummier to eat than the rest... must be doggie junk food.
[snapback]266476[/snapback]​

Rule of thumb....if it is colorful with different shapes? It's Doggy Frootloops all the time, everyday! :whistling: ;)

Shibumi said:
Mindflux said:

[snapback]266476[/snapback]​

Rule of thumb....if it is colorful with different shapes? It's Doggy Frootloops all the time, everyday! :whistling: ;)
[snapback]266486[/snapback]​

Of course it is ;) But she atleast eats. On some of her other food she'd go a few days thinking she'd get something better. It made me feel bad..

Besides, looking at the nutritional contents, it's pretty close to some of those premium brands.

Diamond is by far the best dog food on the market and it is all I use. I hope I don't get any of the bad batch, A fellow dog breeder sent me an email with the warning.

Triple_D said:
Diamond is by far the best dog food on the market and it is all I use. I hope I don't get any of the bad batch, A fellow dog breeder sent me an email with the warning.
[snapback]266498[/snapback]​

"The best" by who's judgement? Yours? An independent reviewer? I've never heard of Diamond before today.

I had always 'heard' that Solid Gold, Innova and Wellness were amongst the best.

Mindflux said:
Of course it is ;)  But she atleast eats.  On some of her other food she'd go a few days thinking she'd get something better.  It made me feel bad..

Besides, looking at the nutritional contents, it's pretty close to some of those premium brands.
[snapback]266494[/snapback]​

I'll bet you leave the bowl out too? My dog gets a bowl in the AM and another in the PM. If she doesn't eat it? Tough luck, theres always the next feeding. (She ALWAY wolf's it down :D ) A dog will always eat at some point, if not it's a medical issue. Good food=Live longer

Oh, and TripleD is a dog breeder. I'd say he has some knowledge on what food is good. I still never heard of the food, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

Shibumi said:
Mindflux said:
Of course it is ;) But she atleast eats. On some of her other food she'd go a few days thinking she'd get something better. It made me feel bad..

[snapback]266494[/snapback]​

I'll bet you leave the bowl out too? My dog gets a bowl in the AM and another in the PM. If she doesn't eat it? Tough luck, theres always the next feeding. (She ALWAY wolf's it down :D ) A dog will always eat at some point, if not it's a medical issue. Good food=Live longer

Oh, and TripleD is a dog breeder. I'd say he has some knowledge on what food is good. I still never heard of the food, but that doesn't mean it's not good.
[snapback]266506[/snapback]​

Actually I take the bowl away. I've done that since she was a puppy.

I didn't say because I hadn't heard of it, it wasn't good. I simply wanted to know why he thinks it's the best. Looking at the crude protein and everything else listed I don't see it being any better than any of the other premium brands, they all seem to be about the same. Human grade food, 26% crude protein, etc etc etc.

Beneful Original Specs (What I feed my dog):

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) 25.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Crude Fat (Min) 10.0%
Iron (Fe) (Min) 200 mg/kg
Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
Selenium (Se) (Min) 0.2 mg/kg
Moisture (Max) 14.0%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.5%
Vitamin E (Min) 100 IU/kg

Diamond:

Crude Protein 26.0% minimum
Crude Fat 18.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum

Ash 5.5% maximum

Calcium 1.2% minimum

Calcium 1.0% maximum

Phosphorus 1.0% minimum

Phosphorus 0.8% maximum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*

Shrug

Mindflux said:
Triple_D said:

"The best" by who's judgement? Yours? An independent reviewer? I've never heard of Diamond before today.

I had always 'heard' that Solid Gold, Innova and Wellness were amongst the best.
[snapback]266505[/snapback]​

Yep, by my judgement. 20 years of running a kennel, have yet to find a dog food that competes. They eat less, crap less, and shine. I use Diamond puppy for my pregnant bitches and my pups. I use the "professional or premium" on all dogs over 6 months. I talked to my local dealer and they do not get from the same plant that the infected feeds came from and all my dogs are healthy so I'm not too concerned with the bad batch. The brands you listed do not hold a candle to Diamond.

I use Diamond and it's great. I started my Dane off on Nutro Max and she didn't do well on it. Switched her to Diamond Lamb & Rice and she does awesome. Her coat is shiny, less waste even while eating twice a day.

Mindflux said:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) 25.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Crude Fat (Min) 10.0%
Iron (Fe) (Min) 200 mg/kg
Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
Selenium (Se) (Min) 0.2 mg/kg
Moisture (Max) 14.0%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.5%
Vitamin E (Min) 100 IU/kg

Diamond:

Crude Protein 26.0% minimum
Crude Fat 18.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum

Ash 5.5% maximum

Calcium 1.2% minimum

Calcium 1.0% maximum

Phosphorus 1.0% minimum

Phosphorus 0.8% maximum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*

Shrug
[snapback]266508[/snapback]​

i get 30% crude protein from my "overpriced" dog food. i could sit here and tell you on that point alone its 4% better than either of those 2. but, i think this is like arguing what the best cigar in the whole wide world, hands down, garanteed is. when you boil it all down, there probably isnt that much difference in the quality of premium dog food. but im sure some of you will say im crazy just to argue with me.

oh and by the way...my dog is smarter than yours too..... :p

I use Exclusive formula. My pup started on Diamond. The local feed store had me switch over to Exclusive. I heard they were the same makers of Diamond or maybe just the same formula ingredients? ???

Triple_D said:
Mindflux said:
Triple_D said:

[snapback]266505[/snapback]​

Yep, by my judgement. 20 years of running a kennel, have yet to find a dog food that competes. They eat less, crap less, and shine. I use Diamond puppy for my pregnant bitches and my pups. I use the "professional or premium" on all dogs over 6 months. I talked to my local dealer and they do not get from the same plant that the infected feeds came from and all my dogs are healthy so I'm not too concerned with the bad batch. The brands you listed do not hold a candle to Diamond.
[snapback]267071[/snapback]​

Cool deal. Maybe I'll give it a go. Looks like I *MAY* be able to get it locally. I'll call around when my beneful is close to running out so I can start inter-mixing them to ween her off.

I value your opinion.. just so you know, since you run a kennel. But I also like to see *PROOF* aside from opinions that Diamond is indeed better than other premium brands.. again other than just sheer opinion.

Diamond puppy is 31% protein and 20% fat. Which is fine for pups but this amount of protein will burn a dog up. High fat and lower protein makes a shiny healthy dog. Only working dogs need over 26% protein. Nutro would be my second choice if I could no longer get Diamond.

Triple_D said:
Diamond puppy is 31% protein and 20% fat. Which is fine for pups but this amount of protein will burn a dog up. High fat and lower protein makes a shiny healthy dog. Only working dogs need over 26% protein. Nutro would be my second choice if I could no longer get Diamond.
[snapback]267295[/snapback]​

:thumbs: Right on!

I had to start my dane on low protein so she wouldn't grow too fast. Diamond products are what most of the dane breeders I know use, with Nutro being 2nd.

Triple_D said:
[snapback]267295[/snapback]​

This is not entirely true. Large/giant breed dogs need a lower protein food even as a puppy, or they grow too fast which will lead to growth problems. (Diamond even sells a Large Breed puppy food, whch is only 27% for puppies, and their large breed adult is just 23%). We have Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, and thru all the research I did, and the breeders I used did, they either need a specific giant breed puppy food, or a lot of people mix puppy food and adult food for these dogs to lower the protein level some. Once they are past the fast growth period around 8 months or so, then anything is fair game but lower protein is still desirable.

Sadly no one sells Diamond up here, and I'm not willing to have it shipped! we've been terribly pleased with Eagle Pack foods, and their holistic forumlas. Many dog mushers running the Iditarod Sled Dog race up here are sponsered with it, and that many dogs working that hard can't be wrong! Even our couch potatos... :laugh:

Swissy said:
Large/giant breed dogs need a lower protein food even as a puppy, or they grow too fast which will lead to growth problems. (Diamond even sells a Large Breed puppy food, whch is only 27% for puppies, and their large breed adult is just 23%).
[snapback]267595[/snapback]​

I started my Dane out on the Lamb and Rice, which is 23% for that exact reason.

Back