• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Did I just acquire a new pet?

My wife got one of those fancy Canon Digital Rebels two years ago, over a grand once we bought external flash, case, extra mamory etc. etc. I don't think it will focus at an inch though but it does take great pics and most importantly.....she's happy with it. :thumbs:

Nothing better then a little extra mammory!

:laugh: :p :laugh: :p :laugh:

-Rob

After waking up this morning and being energized after having a tasty cup of coffee, I decided to do some operating. I opened up the Padron to see what I might be able to find. After doing some exploring, I found nothing. Since I only have a rudimentary understanding of beetles, this may be way off, but it seems to me that if there was a beetle, wouldn't it have done more damage, left something more behind that I would have seen after opening up the cigar or infected other cigars in the box (since the box was sealed with cellophane wrapping and it was trapped inside the box). Is it possible that the little "bugger" can just disappear like this? I'm starting to think that perhaps it was just a puncture hole since I haven't found anything else to really suggest otherwise.

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

Orange,

The evidence of damage was the pile of tobacco dust and beetle crap you shook out of the hole. If it had been a simple puncture then nothing would have dropped out when you tapped the cigar. Here is an informational link about the beetle: Beetles.

Based on the amount of damage, the larvae might have been at it for some time. It may well have pupated. Rest assured, you have an infestation.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

When I tapped the cigar, a lot of it just looked like tobacco. I wasn't sure if the black looking specs were just a darker shade of the wrapper. In any event, since you obviously seem to know a great deal about these little critters, I'll take your word for it. These are going back to the vendor on Monday. By the way, thanks for the link, that was interesting and informative reading.

Might be tough to return the one you operated on and that was more or less your proof too. ;)

Wilkey,

When I tapped the cigar, a lot of it just looked like tobacco. I wasn't sure if the black looking specs were just a darker shade of the wrapper. In any event, since you obviously seem to know a great deal about these little critters, I'll take your word for it. These are going back to the vendor on Monday. By the way, thanks for the link, that was interesting and informative reading.

Beetles.

The Canon A430 has a nice super-macro (1X) mode and only costs about $175.

Wilkey

A friend has the A510 and it takes great macro mode pics too. The A530 which is a 5 meg with 4x optical zoom and has a "anti blur" feature which is really needed on digital cameras because of shutter lag. The A530 goes for $199 at most places including a free printer.

Might be tough to return the one you operated on and that was more or less your proof too. ;)

Wilkey,

That's why I took a pic of it. This is a reputable vendor that I highly doubt will give me any problems. :)

Wilkey,

When I tapped the cigar, a lot of it just looked like tobacco. I wasn't sure if the black looking specs were just a darker shade of the wrapper.

Well,

Here's something you can do to demonstrate it for yourself. I do recommend it if you have any doubt at all. The next time you plan to smoke a cigar, try the following:

1. Take a sharp, pointy blade (like an X-Acto knife) and drill a small hole through the wrapper and binder about a half inch from the foot.

2. Tap the foot against a sheet of white paper.

3. Note the almost complete lack of anything that drops out.

This should make sense since the cigars are built with whole or partial leaves of tobacco. There is nothing that should be of a dusty or gritty nature in there. Not even in short filler cigars.

Send along a photo of the hole and the crap that dropped out. You should have no problems with the return.

Wilkey

I'll give that a try, and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of the info, Wilkey. :thumbs:

My wife got one of those fancy Canon Digital Rebels two years ago, over a grand once we bought external flash, case, extra mamory etc. etc. I don't think it will focus at an inch though but it does take great pics and most importantly.....she's happy with it. :thumbs:

It's not the camera it's the lens that will determine how close you can get to an object and focus on it. With the digital rebel you just need a good macro lens that lets you focus up really close and you'll be able to do it with her camera as well. Some lenses can cost quite a bit though so be forewarned. :)

It's not the camera it's the lens that will determine how close you can get to an object and focus on it. With the digital rebel you just need a good macro lens that lets you focus up really close and you'll be able to do it with her camera as well. Some lenses can cost quite a bit though so be forewarned. :)
I'm looking for a good macro lens for my DSLR. But now I'm torn between cigars and lenses....