• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do humidors expire?

claphamsa

I bought a humidor a while back (maybe 5 years?) it had maintained proper humidity for the first 4.75 of those. Recently I have noticed the humidity going down, and down, and down. This AM it was at 48%!!!! not good. I keep it in the top shelf of the closet, away from vents and sun. the Hygrometer (however its spelled) got a new battery a year ago, and ill retest it tonight, to make sure its not just off.... any other thoughts on what could be my issue? 

its the size of a large shoe box, and is maybe 45% full, and i bought a new thing of beads when it started going down.

I would clean it out place all your sticks in a plastic bag with a water pillow.
Re season the humi and try it again 

Not to sound silly, but did you moisten the beads? :whistling:

broblues said:

lol, yes, I soaked them for 5 min in distilled water, which i assume is correct.
beyond the band said:
I would clean it out place all your sticks in a plastic bag with a water pillow.
will do!

what is a water pillow?

claphamsa said:

lol, yes, I soaked them for 5 min in distilled water, which i assume is correct.
beyond the band said:
will do!

what is a water pillow?

What kind of beads did you get? What brand?

A water pillow is something like a Boveda Humidipak, search on amazon for them. You can also search for "Cigar waterpillows" and these you can soak in distilled water and reuse them as needed.

A water pillow is a boveda bag you can get them at your b and m.

Tall Paul said:
They are two totally different products Paul.
You should "never" soak beads, as the will crack in half essentially destroying them. Best method to hydrate beads is to set a damp sponge next em. You should never put water directly on beads.

Backslide said:

You should "never" soak beads, as the will crack in half essentially destroying them. Best method to hydrate beads is to set a damp spung next em. You should never put water directly on beads.

When did we stop licking them?

Backslide said:
Yea two different names/makes but serve similar purpose. Boveda is more popular around here so maybe he has seen those.

Light this! said:

You should "never" soak beads, as the will crack in half essentially destroying them. Best method to hydrate beads is to set a damp spung next em. You should never put water directly on beads.

When did we stop licking them?
No way I'd lick the beads after pissing on them! That's just sick!!

I think you already got your answer, but to add to it;  I just reseasoned my 150 count desktop that I bought in 2007.  I had stopped using it in 2009 and it had sat there and just traveled with my moving until this winter.  It took a bit, but she came back no problem and I am loving that smell :)

Backslide said:
You should never put water directly on beads.

I use a spray bottle of distilled water and spray it directly on my beads.  Haven't had an issue in 7 years. 

jfields said:
What's a Spung?
It's the act of not proof reading a smartphone reply. ROFL.

Or

The dance one does when they are too drunk or high to wipe their own arse, let alone try to move with any kind of rhythmic coordination.

Tall Paul said:

Yea two different names/makes but serve similar purpose. Boveda is more popular around here so maybe he has seen those.

If I remember correctly, water pillows only put out humidity rather than regulate it. 

Boveda's will regulate a range of RH.

claphamsa said:

I went into their website and they claim "The Humidity Bead System® is unlike ANY product on the market which is why it was awarded a U.S. Patent in 2011." I use Heartfelt beads and I always use a spray bottle on mines and never ever soak them, in fact, it is recommended to only rehydrate about 80% - 90% of the beads. I didn't see any instructions on how to rehydrate the the beads you are using, did they come with any? I'm pretty sure that soaking them in distilled water doesn't sound right.

Brickhouse said:

If I remember correctly, water pillows only put out humidity rather than regulate it. 

Boveda's will regulate a range of RH.

Correct, also Boveda will maintain but not exceed rH in all closed environments.

Every couple months it's advisable to take out a new Boveda and put all your hygro's in a bag with it, 24hrs later you'll know which unit needs to be adjusted.