• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you commute?

Congrats on the job. I currently commute about 25 miles each way from McKinney to Richardson, TX and if I get out of the house prior to 7:00, traffic is not too bad. Not sure how it will be from the other side coming down 35e from where you are to downtown Dallas. If you can stand it, with the gas prices as bad as they are, find a carpool (a smoke friendly one perferred). DART is always an option but then you could not smoke during the commute.

Good luck with the job.

Steve

I do about 70 miles or more for work everyday. The only tip I can offer is that even if it makes your trip slightly longer, finding a route that has no stop and goes helps with gas mileage, makes for less insanity, and may mean you get to work on time.

For me, the quickest route involves lots of expressway. Because its so hit or miss, I can leave at 7am and get to work by 7:45 am or that I might get to work at 9:00 am. The only way to assure myself to be to work on time was to leave by 6am which may mean I was an hour or so early to work.

I recently found a new route, its slower (50 mph or so max vs 70-80 mph or the eway) but theres no stop and go, its more scenic, and if I leave the house by 6:45 I am guaranteed to be on time, and if I leave by 7 or 7:05, most of the time I will be on time, sometimes 5-10 min late. I also get better gas mileage.

I currently have 35 mile one-way commute, so factoring in lunch hour escapes to the banks of the Niagara to smoke plus the occasional erand runs I probably average about 85-90 miles a day in work related driving. Fortunately I travel opposite to the rush hour traffic so the ride is relatively stress-free, but I find that CD's keep me calmer than talk radio or commercial music stations. At one time I hada a 75 mile one-way commute and like anything else you can get used to it. The first couople weeks are probably the hardest and then you just adapt the drive to your personal schedule.

Congrats on the new job!

I commute into NYC from central NJ. My wife drops me off at the train station and the train ride is about 52 minutes. I walk from Penn Sta. to my job on the east about 12 blocks, it's how I get most of my exercise in. Total time door to door is 1 1/2 hours. When I'm forced to drive it takes close to three hours based on the time I get to the Lincoln Tunnel.

If you can take mass transit, it saves you a ton of money, less wear and tear on your vehicle and less overall aggravation on you. ESPN radio and NPR have been mentioned, ipod, satellite radio and books on tape are good to have.

Good job on the new job!

Easy communte for me... 4 miles one way, takes about 10 minutes. When I lived in the Bay Area, CA, it was a 40 mile trip each way, which usually took 60-90 minutes. Two hours on the highway each day... blech!

40 miles round trip, usually takes me 20-30 minutes in the morning and 30-40 after work. I'll enjoy a cigar 2-3 times a week, which is pretty relaxing before I start the busy day.

22ish miles each way. I head 'out' of town so, it's about 20-25 minutes each way(sometimes 15 :whistling: and once 12!).

My commute into work usually takes about 15 minutes... doesn't bother me.

Congrats on the new job!

I commute into NYC from central NJ. My wife drops me off at the train station and the train ride is about 52 minutes.

Does she dress you and pack your Scooby Doo lunchbox too? :)

PRSD112ZBW-300.jpg

Moki thats the one thing i miss about up there i used to make it from greece to the U of R in 10 mins

Congrats on the new job!

I commute into NYC from central NJ. My wife drops me off at the train station and the train ride is about 52 minutes.
*SNIP*

:laugh: That's hilarious.

I live 5 minutes from my office now. I get up at 8:25 shower and get to work by 8:50. :D

Congrats on the new job!

PRSD112ZBW-300.jpg

Yes she does, and come on Andrew I wouldn't be caught dead with that Scooby Doo crap. I have a legit Roy Rogers, Double R Bar Ranch, set that I carry proudly!

20 min on the F train read a book to pass the time. I wonder what would happen if I just lit up a stogie?
I think the punishment as it stands now castration.

About 27 Miles each way, roughly 55 miles round trip. AM I take the freeway as it's usually moving along pretty well; about 45 mins. PM I take the "back roads" which is a bit longer in terms of distance and time (about an hour) but is a beautiful country drive that winds up a hillside on a nice two lane road. I get my game face on in the AM and wind down on the way home. Been doing this for eight years and so far, so good.

I'm very happy with my '04 Jetta TDI. 85K on it so far, 100% reliable, and 40-45 MPG. A very nice commuting partner.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Congrats on landing a job. My commute if you want to call it that is 6 miles round trip. But it can take 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on traffic and construction.

I don't like my commute. 102 miles round trip. Almost all highway. Good thing I'm the boss and can set my own hours otherwise I would be on the road 2 or 3 hours each way. Now it's about 1 hour and 10 minutes give or take a bit. Gas is the killer.

When I did public it took me about 2 hour 30 minutes to get in and about 3 hours and 30 minutes to get home. Couldn't handle it. It was cheaper and quicker to drive at the time. Most likely it still is as I had to drive to the train station then take it to the subway.

My advice is to move closer if you can after your sure you like the job and will be staying with the company.

DG

Right now it's about 25 miles each way. Through town. Lots of 35mph, but moving most of the time with the occasional stop light. Takes about 45 mins in the morning, 60 mins at night. I normally work 7am - 4pm or so. I don't smoke in the truck, so it's iPod time for me.

Driving a F150, so gas mileage isn't great. Thinking about getting a commuter vehicle of some kind (don't want to sell the truck, it's handy and I need it to tow the boat). Looked at the HD Softail Custom, the Mini Cooper....now thinking about a Honda Fit.

I was surprised by the long commutes (over 50 miles total) from some of you guys. Yikes..that's no fun. We lived near Boston for a couple of years and I rode the commuter train. It was nice, but the house-to-train-to-city-to-work thing created the opportunity for waiting at each connection. Door-to-door was about 1 hour each way. We looked about buying a house (we rented) and where we could afford was easily 1.5+ hours each way (d2d). I couldn't come to terms with it for a 30 year commitment. We moved to central florida instead. I got a way nicer house for the money and a raise too!

For over a year, I "commuted" from Orlando to Houston, TX. Caught a plane every Monday at the crack of dawn and flew back late Thursday night. I kept a place in Houston the whole time, so didn't have to drag all my stuff back and forth.

I have worked at home at times and really liked it. That was a sweet commute!

Congrats on the job.

I'm roughly 25 miles each way for my job... that's not too bad to begin with, but ever since I got XM a few years ago it makes long drives and commutes SO much easier. So you should be good to go with your Sirius. I usually end up on talk radio like O&A or R&F... I find it makes the time to by quicker but sometimes I'll just rock the music stations and with no commercials and being able to listen to stations that don't absolutey blow chunks in every way possible (just about all terrestrial radio!) really makes the drive nice.

You definitely need to find at least 2 routes you can take in case there is traffic, because that's quite a distance and leaves for a lot of chance to get stuck and be very late. A Garmin GPS with traffic data was one of the best purchases I ever made.

We are trying to push 4 10hr work days, or letting us work from home 1 day a week. Would really help on the gas bill as well.

I'm very happy with my '04 Jetta TDI. 85K on it so far, 100% reliable, and 40-45 MPG. A very nice commuting partner.

One of the insurance agents in town has to review all the homes he has insured once a year, and this time last year he went and bought himself a Nissan Armada. He now is driving a TDI Beetle and getting around 50 MPG. Even with diesel prices climbing, he's still doing better than most people in gas cars.