• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you have different drinking habits in the winter?

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
I for one find myself reaching for darker and stronger during the cold winter months, and drinking mostly lager and pilsner during the summer.

Right now I'm on a dark wheat beer trip, switching between Erdinger Dunkel, Schneider Original Amber and Paulaner Dunkel every time I grab a six pack.

I just can't get into the darker wheat beers during the summer (unless I'm sitting in a cold beer keller) but they rock my world when the weather drops down to the freezing point.

Normal dark beer I like during the summer when at a beer garden or outdoor bistro while sitting in the shade, but if I'm out in the sun I'll normally order a Helles / Lager / or Pilsner (only if its keg beer, I dislike German Pilsner out of a bottle).

Anyone else pick their beer in regards to the weather? Or do you all drink whatever pricks your fancy on a given day?

Two words: Kulmbacher Eisbock year round. Okay, four words.

I agree with you and also gravitate towards the winter warmers when the seasons change although I can drink a Russian Imperial Stout or a Belgian Strong Ale (quad, trippel, dark, etc..) any time of year. :)

Spelling Edit:Fat fingered the BB keyboard.

I find myself drinking big, dark beers all year round anymore. They're my favorite, so I tend to reach for them regardless of the weather, but I think I am the exception to the norm.

On a similar note, do you get this there Shawn?

Andechser Doppelbock

Kloster Adechs :thumbs: I have a few bottles of that in the fridge right now.

Its one of the easiest doppelbock Biers for beer newbs to drink in regards to taste (unlike Paulaner), and hits like a hammer blow after the second one. Good stuff.

Jonas, you and that Eisbock fetish of yours scares me... Tell you what, come to Germany in winter and I'll take you on the brewery tour in Kulmbach. I'll even drink a few of them with you lol

Or come in spring (Starkbeir Zeit) and I'll introduce you to (IMO) stuff that blows it away.

*edit* And smelly, Dark beers are also my favorite, I just can't get into drinking the dark wheat beers when its warm outside. Normal dark beer in a krug is something else entirely.

I would drink Tucher Dunkel year-round... :) if I lived in Nurnberg... but I don't. :(

Dammit!

C&G...<sigh>

I tend to drink a lot of seasonal beers. There is something special about a beer that is
really fresh and just bursting with flavor and aroma. I would love to drink some German
and British beers right at the source and experience the same thing. I'm sure the versions we
get in the states have suffered after spending time on a boat and who knows how long on the shelf.

It's time to start working on the -tion beers. Celebration, Hibernation, Jubilation, etc.

I popped the cork on a bottle of port last night over poker and cigars which stimulated this very topic for conversation. My normal inclinations are to reach for my favorite beers (heffs and ambers) during the warmer months and turn to the vino in my cellar during the cooler months. Every year around Thanksgiving i start dipping into my wine supply and then as the weather gets nicer and spring comes around i usually wind up getting a hankering for pulling the keg handle again.