• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you use your seatbelt?

I have been wearing it now everyday for the last 6 or 7 yrs. I used to never wear it until, for some reason, I had a "daymare" while driving w/ my kids in the car and pictured us getting into an accident and me getting hurt and my kids not because they had theirs on. In my vision my kids were panicking because I was not able to attend to them. As I sat there and thought I reached down and put it on and have been wearing it ever since. From that day on I have also consirably mellowed out on my motorcycles too.

Always.

And we have no helmet law here in FL either...used to have no helmet law, then it was reversed, then it was back on (or off) again. As it stands now, helmets are seemingly not required. Still, when I used to ride and when I ride now (and when I get another bike in a few months or so), I will wear wear one.

Everytime we drive anywhere for the last 23 years, we wear them. Hardly ever before that.

When my wife was very pregnant with our (now 23 year-old) son, we got t-boned on the driver's side by some guy in a Chevy P/U who had lost control of his truck in the rain. We got hit hard enough to spin us right off the road.

Both of us were knocked around a bit, but mostly unhurt. The other guy was fine. The paramedics showed up in minutes. Neither one of us had been wearing our seatbelts and that was the first question they asked us. My wife opened her mouth to give them the "seatbelt isn't comfortable and it goes across my stomach...yada, yada, yada..." speech. She gets out "Uh", but the paramedic is already talking and he really tears her a new one. He's giving her the "it is safer" lecture and then launches right into "you are responsible for other lives now". He reloads and then blasts me with the both barrels for being the negligent father and letting my wife drive around with our baby unprotected. Because of her advanced pregnancy they transported her past other hospitals right to the downtown hospital because that's where the Neonatology ward was located.

They left me standing in the road, in the soaking rain watching the ambulance drive off with my wife and unborn child.

Surprisingly the car (although later totalled by the insurance company) still ran and after prying on the fender with the tire iron, I drove it home. As it turned out, we (all 3 of us) were fine, just a little sore the next day.

We bought a new car and promised each other to always wear our seatbelts after that.

Now it feels weird to drive across the parking lot unbelted.

From my first carseat I can't recall a time where I didn't have one on. I think its even MORE important now with airbags standard in almost all cars. Those things are calibrated to work based on some being restrained by the belt. Without the belt you can get hurt from the bag alone.

And the "GARDEN STATE" has a mandatory seat belt law. Which begs the question, did the GOVERNOR receive a citation?

Linky & Linky2

Apparently not yet...

Oh, I and my family always wear seatbelts, always. :thumbs:

Ever since i read about the accident in New Jersey, it's been on my mind. For the longest time i played superman, until my six year old grandchild asked me why not? Now i wear it everytime i get in the car. How about you? :whistling:

I'm so used to having a seat belt on, that when I get on the Harley, I feel like I'm missing something. I still hate the helmet though.

Wow, so cavalier about your life, but the conservative-liberitarian in me says to each his own, I wish you luck and hope that you aren't ever involved in an accident.
You have no idea how hard that made me laugh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Doc.

Live free or die. I knew I always liked that state!! :thumbs: Do you think they would take an old crusty New Yorker?? I promise not to mug anyone! :whistling: ...at least on the weekends.... :rolleyes:

Don't change your plans Sax. Dems took complete charge of state gov. last election. 1st time since the Civil War. We'll probably get a seat belt law this legislative session.

Doc.

Back