• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Donate your spare cpu cycles.

rknicker

]V[ember
Hi anyone,

I've been involved with this project for a couple years, and though you may have already heard of it, I wanted to make everyone here understood what an opportunity this is.

The short version is this. By downloading a very small program, you can help find cures to many diseases. This is accomplished in the spare computing time when the CPU in your computer isn't being used. Like when you're reading CP. Most of this time you aren't using the full power of your computer. It causes little to no apparent slowdown to whatever you do because by default it is the lowest of priorities to your computer.

The program itself reads in a small bit of data, and uses it to calculate the way particular proteins form in the body, then sends it back. The malformation of these proteins causes diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease. Simply put, by running this program, you can personally help in the process of examing and hopefully finding cures to these and other diseases.

At the pages below you get the full official description, links to press articles, the download link, and some results.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see your names in the statistics pages soon.

Ryan

Permanent site
Current Temporary Site

I've been doing another one for a while now. I like it because they are working on technologies with real-world applications. Ones that we might see within the next 5 years or so.

www.ud.com

Most of their research has to do with developing new drugs. It seems more worthwile than searching for aliens or mapping the entire DNA chain.

Cool thread idea. I think it's a great idea with no cost to you. Give it a try.

*disclaimer: I'm not against these programs, I do think they can do some good, and I'm nopt saying do not use them*

I remember reading an article on CNN.com either earlier this year or late last year about the security vulnerabilities of programs such as these. Just be aware that there are network/computer security concerns with SOME of these programs (not sure about the ones listed). Companies I work/worked for have banned them specifically b/c of this.

I will try to find the article.

I know its meant as a good thing but I guess I'm just not a trusting person. It just seems like it would open up all sorts of vulnerabilities.

Anyone doing this be careful.

Before anyone gets scared off...

Anything you do with your computer that communicates outside (e-mail, IM, This Web Site, ANYTHING) poses a security risk. As a computer professional, I can tell you that there is no such thing as an absolutely secure computer.

The thing to do is TAKE REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS. This usually means a few things...

1> Run a firewall. ZoneAlarm is good and free.
2> Run Anti-Virus Software. CA has free, good software available under a new deal with Microsoft.
3> Run Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D software. These programs eliminate junk that you pick up while surfing. Try downloads.com or google to find them.

Lastly, Don't be stupid. Don't run attachments from unknown individuals and read any prompts you get before answering them.

my two cents...

I just installed this on my home machine today. Prety cool. I have zonealarm, no probas here.

That would be great if I had not just paid 5000 in medical bills lately..
maybe if they gave me .02 a hour or something to make up for the terrible overcharges in medical care... :(

mdman said:
That would be great if I had not just paid 5000 in medical bills lately..
maybe if they gave me .02 a hour or something to make up for the terrible overcharges in medical care... :(
This project is run by scientists in labs who are most likely funded by grants, donations, and/or endowments.

They have nothing to do with what's wrong with healthcare these days.

mdman please don't confuse this noble cause with the people who run insurance companies, payment collection systems, medical supply companies, etc.

Hi all,

Good to see at least some discussion about this. Hopefully I can address one or two points here.

Securities vulnerabilities are possible with this just as there are with viewing a web page. Your discretion is involved with both. Stanford has done an excellent job to this point preventing any problems with this, but yes, it could cause the same problems as running a web browser or reading your email.

Next issue: This is not a site that is trying to profit or offset costs from this, it is purely for research purposes. If they luckily find something, that is the only direct payoff.

Security: I have been running this continuously for almost 3 years. I have not had any problems as a result of this application.

Also, this program can be constrained to NOT do any genome mapping research, which some people object to.

Thanks again for even looking at this, if it causes even one or two people to give it a try this post will have succeeded.

Thanks again CP,

Ryan