• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dropkick Murphys

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
I'm going to a concert tonight to see these guys. They are considered a "alternative pop rock" or "punk revival" and for a change I will not be one of the YOUNGER people at this show as most of the concerts I've been attending lately (Judas Priest, Kiss, Cheap Trick, etc.) have fans in atendance that are my age (44) or older. :0

These guys are out of the Boston area and have only been around since the late 1990's. They got very popular when they went on tour with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones in 1997 warming up for them on their tour that year. I only started listening to their music about two months ago and I really like their material :thumbs:

The venue is a small club in Northhampton, MA and fortunately I bought tickets well ahead of time since this show is sold out as have just about all their shows on this tour. This is their last date in the USA before they start a tour in Europe.

They are also known for their song "Tessie" (which is NOT on tomorrow's set list) which is a tribute to the Boston Red Sox and their fans. They WILL be playing their tribute to the Boston Bruins, a song called "Time To Go" which is even better than "Tessie" :thumbs:

Since I'm a new fan, I really only know their newer music AND I found out today that they will do 9 of 14 songs from their latest CD "Warrior's Code" which was released this year. Most of these songs will be in the beginning of the set :0 :thumbs: They will open the show with a song called "Spirit's Alive" which is a tribute to a Boston University hockey player (Mark Bavis) and a former Boston Bruins player (Garnet "Ace" Bailey) who were killed in the Flight 175 plane crash on 9/11.

I've been sick as hell for the last week or so BUT I think whatever it is that I have (Dr. told me it's a virus) is finally breaking so I won't be too miserable for the show. I've been looking forward to this show for quite some time and tomorrow is the big day. If I have my wits about me, I'll try and keep track of the songs they do and post the set list.

I have a friend who has been following punk bands for over 20 years. You'll almost never hear this music on the radio but these types of groups have HUGE followings all over the country and again, I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard of them.

Anyone....., Buehler........ anyone?

Dropkick Murphy's ROCK. You should have a blast. Since I am at a University, they play them on the University radio station as well.

Yep, I like them well enough. Not sure I'd bother seeing them live though. Punk concerts are pretty rough sometimes.

LOL @ Josh! :laugh:

I'm hoping the crowd will take is easy on me since I look old enough to be their father :laugh:

Nice to see you back around these parts Josh :thumbs: I see you moved. :)

Heh, thanks Bill. This town needs a humidifier.

I am a huge fan of these guys!!!
one of my favourite bands of all time..you really need to check out the album "The gangs all here"...a couple of my favourite songs are "10 years of service" and "Barroom Heroes"...another classic track is "boys on the docks"

I love this band!!!

Yeah Bill I really don't see you as a Dropkick Murphy type of guy. I remember they were underground popular when I was in high school during the mid 90s.

If you like these guys Five Iron Frenzy was another band my friends were really into, along with another called the Hippos.

If you dig them, check out Flogging Molly. Not quite as punky, but very good. I met the Dropkick guys a few years ago at the Troc in Philly, and yes they drank my ass under the table...

Thanks modF, you're the 2nd person that told me about Flogging Molly!
That must have been fun getting hammered with those guys :laugh:

Oh and Matty, the old time fans are mad because they're not doing ANY songs off of "The Gang's All Here" but they will be doing "Barroom Hero" and "Boys on the Dock" which are both off of "Do or Die" :thumbs:

I have the "Live on St. Patrick's Day 2002" CD so I know some of the older songs but not that well......YET!!!

Peekay, you're not the first who's said ya don't see me as a DKM kinda guy :D
I can't get pigeon-holed in the 70's and 80's so I gotta start branching out :laugh: Most of the bands I would like to see are too old (ie: AC DC) or dead (ie: Ramones). The Dropkicks should outlast me. :p

They remind me of a newer version of the Misfits. You'll hear something on the radio once in a while down here but more on the college station, which I can't pick up from home.

Have fun, Bill. If you get there early enough to catch Big D and the Kid's Table (suggested) tell the lead singer you know someone who went to high school with their former drummer (Max)... hmmm.. it's kinda like the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. :laugh:

Dropkick Murphys always reminds me of a bar that I loved, and still do, but they closed. Every thursday night it would seem that the bartender would just blast an hour or two of Murphys. Loud Irish punk rock in a bar while drinking Guiness.... BRILLIANT! :cool:

HEy CC did you have fun? since this post is so earliy I doubt you are up , I have seen DKM and Fogglin Molly and they rock hope you had a blast..

I've been wanting to see them for a while, enjoy the show.

Absolutely Love the Dropkick Murphys, who doesn't love rowdy punk rock with hints of Irish nationalism and American patriotism with just a hint of barroom revelry?? Dropkick Murphys are really great guys too. Also I second the Flogging Molly recommendation, they are a blast to see live and they sing one of my favorite songs "The Worst Day Since Yesterday"

CYG

Dropkicks rule. Always have, and I've seen 'em now more times than I can even remember. Back in the day, their lead singer now (Al) used to be in a band called The Bruisers. Their first lead singer Mike is now in an absolutely killer band called Street Dogs. These guys put on a great show.

You like these boys, definitely check out Flogging Molly. Good advice there. But also check out Street Dogs, Swingin' Utters, Ducky Boys (another Boston, Mass great) Angel City Outcasts, Real McKenzies, Briggs, and then, maybe, you'll be ready for the true glory that are bands like Cock Sparrer, Business, Cockney Rejects, Templars, etc.

Outstanding. Enjoy the show.

Big fan of Flogging Molly, so-so fan of Dropkick's. I don't see the comparison to The Misfits though, AVB. Maybe that's just because I've been listening to the Misfits since like 1980 or something. LOL! Hope you had a good time, Bill, but what the hell is the world coming to? A Republican at a punk rock show.........

Matt R said:
Big fan of Flogging Molly, so-so fan of Dropkick's. I don't see the comparison to The Misfits though, AVB. Maybe that's just because I've been listening to the Misfits since like 1980 or something. LOL! Hope you had a good time, Bill, but what the hell is the world coming to? A Republican at a punk rock show.........
[snapback]253482[/snapback]​

Yeah...there's no comparison to Glenn and gang. :laugh: Trying to picture the Dropkick's singing 20 Eyes, Devil's Whorehouse or Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight. :laugh:

DM's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are one of my aboslute favorites (right along with Flogging Molly!)
Bill, I hope you had a great time with them...theyput on a hell of a show. I saw them for about the 10th time last year. I learned a few things...I can't drink like I used to, and I am too damn old, slow and soft for the pit.
Every time I go and the Sinead song starts with the lights dimmed, and the whole place feels this mixture of somber reflection and crackling anticipatory electric energy, I am transported to younger days, happier days, and sadder history...all at the same time.

Let me know if you're ever going again....we'll share a ride and a smoke on the way!