• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Cohiba & RYJ

jfields

Where did all my money go?
I know this has been done before, and not to step on Wilksters toes, but with the latest round of Newbs, I thought this would be a good thing to do. Within the last two weeks I recently came across two fake cigars. One a Cohiba Siglo V, the other was a RYJ Tubos No. 3. The person who was in possession of these shall remain nameless, as he was completely unaware and felt completely humiliated & upset when I brought it to him. Besides, I have been there myself at one time. This person was the victim of what he really thought was a trusted vendor. The vendor in question (after refunding this members money), either really still believes he's peddling the real thing, and welcomes me to come in so he can "educate me." Or, he knows the deception he's dealing, and does not want to admit being caught in the act.
What caught my eye immediately when I saw the Siglo V was the same dark wrapper that resembled the same "Miami Fakes" I had come across in the past. Below are pictures of the real thing and the fake. The fake is on the right.
fakes001.jpg

fakes006.jpg

Notice the differences in wrappers. The counterfeit on the right has a much darker wrapper that resembles something closer to the Maduro line. Also noted is the incorrect length and difference in ring gauge, which can be seen better in a picture of the foot on both side by side. The real article is on the left.
fakes005.jpg

The construction (other than ring gauge and length) does not look bad at all on this specimen. Even a good bit of effort was put into the classic triple cap.
fakes007.jpg

Next, I decided to cut open the fake Cohiba to see what else I could find. Sorry, but I could not bring myself to do the same to the real thing in the name of science. When I pulled off the wrapper, I immediately noticed that it was obvious that the same amount of care did not go into this one as would the real thing. The leaf was very thin and sickly looking. This picture was taken without a light behind it, and should give you an idea of how thin it is.
fakes008.jpg

Also what I found was the most likely reason for the hard test draw I came across before cutting this open. When I very carefully opened the filler I was greeted with tiny little bits and pieces instead of what should have been. Keep in mind I did not cut, or tear this apart. So, what you see, is what was inside, dust, fragments, and all.
fakes010.jpg

Lastly, I'll leave you with a scan of the labels sent to the previous owner to give you an idea of the subtle differences spotted.
bands-1.jpg

Next was the RYJ Tubos No. 3
I did not cut this one open, but the biggest giveaway was the horrible attempt on the cap. It looked as if someone had just licked a piece of wrapper and then stuck it on top. The ring gauge on this one was the opposite of the Cohiba, with this one being quite a bit bigger and longer than the real thing. The counterfeit is on the right in the picture.
fakes017-1.jpg

The tube had some differences noted, with the top having a more pronounced rounded appearance, and the printing being quite a bit sharper. The inside of the tube had some differences on the inside of the crown, although I could not get clear pictures with the night light. One again, fake is on right.
fakes014-1.jpg

The label on the RYJ was very close to the real thing. The only noticeable difference was in the medallions on the sides of the band. The fake had a slight difference in the gold coloring. The real one had raised 3-D features on them that made the design on the medallions more pronounced.
fakes021.jpg

Many thanks to John for doing this comparison and I admit that it was me that gave these cigars to John. I completely bought what this so called "trusted" vendor was selling without doing any diligence on my side and as John noted, he still stands behind the product, regardless.

John was kind enough to call this to my attention and take the time to explain why these are fakes, what a great BOTL. :thumbs:

- Larry

I'd be very interested to find out who this vendor is.

As a practical matter, I think "trusted" is the wrong standard to apply when talking about vendors. When evaluating sources for my non-US friends, I consider whether or not the vendor is "trustworthy."

Wilkey

This is excellent, detailed information. Thanks John for taking the time and effort to put this together! I too wouldn't mind knowing the vendor...

Thanks again!!

So, that's why you were so freely handing out ISOM's at the herf to us poor unsuspecting newbs......we were getting all the fakes! :laugh:

j/k man, great breakdown on the differences of fakes/real.

Awesome, of course, this doesn't apply to me, as those Cohibas I brough back from the beach of Jamaica were 100% authentic. The indian shop owner who was my age assured me so, and he seemed like a very nice guy.

/wish I had made my friends keep the labels
//they said they enjoyed the smoke
///$8 cubans for the win

I've got some fake Sublimes I'll send you so you can do a review on those too.

If I were ripping people off I would expect to be exposed, ridiculed and banned. Why is a vendor exempt?

Les

Edit: Never mind I read it as no reason instead of not.

stike my entire post. I am a idiot!

CHRIST, I meant an. Please someone send me a shovel.

There is no reason not to post the vendor those cigars came from.

I agree, except I still don't know myself. Some have PM'd me wanting to know so that they avoid this vendor. I get the distinct impression that it is a local (in Jersey) B&M selling these under counter.
While I totally think this guy a scumbag, who knows what he is doing, I think the members here do not have anything to worry about.

John is right about the location of the source but given that, I do not feel comfortable giving out the vendor's name. The vendor has no association with this site.

There is no reason not to post the vendor those cigars came from.

I agree, except I still don't know myself. Some have PM'd me wanting to know so that they avoid this vendor. I get the distinct impression that it is a local (in Jersey) B&M selling these under counter.
While I totally think this guy a scumbag, who knows what he is doing, I think the members here do not have anything to worry about.

Sorry to bring up an old thread... but being a newb, I was cruising around the site and found this thread. Great information! I have a couple of cigars that I got on my honeymoon 6 years ago while in Jamaica and now wonder if they are real cubans or not. I didn't know too much about cigars then. I do not remember the name of the shop, but it was in one of the "reputable" shopping areas in a larger town. I have attached some pics of what I have for your opinions. Thanks for the help!

RYJ No. 3

3509306574_2fd26beeb5.jpg

3508496699_134c7f0063.jpg

3509308348_52fb21f3fc.jpg

3509308876_6e3904fd63.jpg

3508498977_180ced2ab9.jpg

I also picked up a Bolivar No. 2 from the same shop. I have never actually smoke a Cuban, so I don't know if I would be able to tell anything when I do finally decide to smoke them. I would assume if the RYJ is a fake then the Bolivar probably is as well. I can take other pics or put up pics of the Bolivar if that would help, I didn't know what all to put up pics of.

I want to add to this thread that if the vendor is in South NJ (Vineland), then you should absolutely confirm that with me, and I'll post. I've watched this dickhead (nice guy though), take friends of mine for THOUSANDS, and he got a few hundred from me after coming highly recommended from people I trust. I've considered calling ICE, but too many guys like his hand rolled. He just needs to stop with the fake CC stuff. I mean, c'mon. He wants $250/box for Monte 2s, but they are under $200 at the online sources.

I want to add to this thread that if the vendor is in South NJ (Vineland), then you should absolutely confirm that with me, and I'll post. I've watched this dickhead (nice guy though), take friends of mine for THOUSANDS, and he got a few hundred from me after coming highly recommended from people I trust. I've considered calling ICE, but too many guys like his hand rolled. He just needs to stop with the fake CC stuff. I mean, c'mon. He wants $250/box for Monte 2s, but they are under $200 at the online sources.

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

Jeebus H. Jumpin' Kee-rist that's funny. No offense twizz but ROFLMAO. How one could possibly have thought that a U.S. source for a product that has been banned for 50 years was legit is stupefying.

Yay thread necromancy.

- Tim

Edit - I've got to come back to this....

You think a guy who sells fake Cubans and has "taken" friends of yours for thousands of dollars is a
(nice guy though)
?

What, precisely, would be required for you to consider someone a fucking asshole?

Back