• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Sublime

This is a great thread..yes the one on the right is pretty easy to spot as being made at the El Fugazy factory - what makes this sad is that very recently a VERY respected vendor from the UK (NOT the real big and best known vendor we immediately think of) anyway - these bands look like the kind of material that was being sent out of his "Stateside" operations and purported to be the real thing.

It turns out what he really offering were some rather good Cuban "Custom Rolled" cigars - and I would not have a problem buying a few of these were they described correctly and priced correctly - however - he forgot to mention that when he was selling the sticks and offered them for sale as "genuine Cohibas )Sadly, he has now greatly tarnished an image of an outstanding merchant that has been in business for a long time on the other side of the pond in the land of really obscene tobacco taxation...

Marito was kind enough to send me one of the fake Sublimes... here's a close-up picture I took of it with a real sublime (real Sublime on top, fake on the bottom).

A pretty bad fake really, lots of obvious issues with the band, let alone the cigar.

mrjinglesusa said:
The Limitada label gives it away fast.
[snapback]248421[/snapback]​
IF you know what you are looking for...
Thanks for the education. :thumbs:

Wow the El band is so copper looking..almost like a penny and the lettering on it is not even spaced decently..horrbile.

alexgtp said:
Wow the El band is so copper looking..almost like a penny and the lettering on it is not even spaced decently..horrbile.
[snapback]248466[/snapback]​

Sure you can see the difference when you have a real one and a fake one side by side, but what if you only had the fake one and didn't have anything to compare it to? I can see how people would be easily fooled by looking at them. I mean I wouldn't know how to spot it.

Zeebra said:
Sure you can see the difference when you have a real one and a fake one side by side, but what if you only had the fake one and didn't have anything to compare it to? I can see how people would be easily fooled by looking at them. I mean I wouldn't know how to spot it.
[snapback]248486[/snapback]​

This is true with a lot of things, not just cigars. Our eyes and brains work better noticing the differences between things... something that doesn't look quite right on its own will look ridiculously obvious next to the real thing.

Moki (or anyone that know the answer),

Specifically about the gold rectangle around the COHIBA. On the real band is the thickness of the line the same or thinner than the line going around the band itself? And have all of the bands with the gold lettering been the same or have there been slight changes to them over the last few years? Just got a Cohiba Lancero and it looks good, but the gold rectangle is thin, the other Cohiba's I've smoked have thicker lines (Fakes?) or is this one the fake. Sorry, can't get a picture online but from the description, any thoughts?

-Fetter

PS...are the pictures of the heads of the cigars in CI life size?

The Cigar on right is suspicious- EL band has wrong font style and size print and Cohiba labels has many mistakes that Moki has already pointed out.

Great thread!!! I just love these kind of post you can really learn a thing or two although in this case (with comparison pics) it was pretty easy to spot the fugazy :p . Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I was sent another cigar that's fake last week... will post comparison pics when I have the chance.

I'm proud of myself, I seem to have guessed correctly. :D

moki said:
I was sent another cigar that's fake last week... will post comparison pics when I have the chance.
[snapback]254382[/snapback]​

Just wondering if you got around to this yet?

Great thread....this should be pinned.