• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fantasy Baseball

Pitchers: 30 MLB teams with 5 starters and 1 closer= 180 or so viable pitchers, not counting middle relievers.
Fantasy: 12 teams with 9 each= 108, very do-able

I agree it's doable, but you are going to make pitchers extremely disproportionately valuable vs. position players. That's really going to have a profound impact on the draft, transactions, and especially trades. Any trade for a pitcher is going to require an unbalanced value of position players. You are basically limiting all pitcher trades to either pitcher for pitcher, or extremely high end position players for middle of the road pitchers.

Your rating the pitcher very high. You dont have to win every category to be the champ.

On the cigar for adds/drops, its up to you guys. Keeping the cigar between $5 and $10 makes it not so bad. The only thing is it is very easy to do a ton of adds and drops, because of injuries and people being sent down.

Look at it in percentages. If we have 9 pitchers per team or 108 out of 180, then 60% of all the pitchers in the league will be in someone's lineup. Now check that versus 12 first basemen, out of 32 teams, that's 36%. If want to make pitchers equal in value to hitters, then each team should start 6 pitchers (or 40%). Even seven pitchers seems reasonable (5 starters, 2 relievers), but 9 just seems like way to many to me.

Pitchers: 30 MLB teams with 5 starters and 1 closer= 180 or so viable pitchers, not counting middle relievers.

I agree it's doable, but you are going to make pitchers extremely disproportionately valuable vs. position players. That's really going to have a profound impact on the draft, transactions, and especially trades. Any trade for a pitcher is going to require an unbalanced value of position players. You are basically limiting all pitcher trades to either pitcher for pitcher, or extremely high end position players for middle of the road pitchers.

Your rating the pitcher very high. You dont have to win every category to be the champ.

On the cigar for adds/drops, its up to you guys. Keeping the cigar between $5 and $10 makes it not so bad. The only thing is it is very easy to do a ton of adds and drops, because of injuries and people being sent down.

Look at it in percentages. If we have 9 pitchers per team or 108 out of 180, then 60% of all the pitchers in the league will be in someone's lineup. Now check that versus 12 first basemen, out of 32 teams, that's 36%. If want to make pitchers equal in value to hitters, then each team should start 6 pitchers (or 40%). Even seven pitchers seems reasonable (5 starters, 2 relievers), but 9 just seems like way to many to me.

Most likely more then 12 first basemen will be on a team. I would put that number around 18 - 20. Since we have a utility position and backups.

Most likely more then 12 first basemen will be on a team. I would put that number around 18 - 20. Since we have a utility position and backups.

Yes, but how many will be in starting lineups? If you plan on starting 9 pitcher, then you're probably looking at each team carrying 12-14 pitchers? Then the numbers really get out of wack.

I'll go along with WHIP as opposed to IP, even though I still believe it is a worthless stat but whatever lol. I still don't see why we can't change to having relief pitchers as a postion though.

Personally, I think 9 starters in the pitching category is a bit heavy handed. I would like to see 7 with a 5/2 split....5 starters or middle relievers and 2 relief. I see now there wouldn't be a way to control anyone from drafting 9 relievers....but they would have to drop some to feild a legal lineup so that makes that point mute.

As for paying for moves with cigars...I think 1 cigar per 5 moves is a little much. I like the .50 per move idea though.

As for the banker, I will volunteer for it if noone else wants to do it. I have a tupperdore thats currently idle I could put them in for storage. Of course the banker then assumes the role of postage payer at the end I would guess, right? I don't have an issue there either.

I'll go along with WHIP as opposed to IP, even though I still believe it is a worthless stat but whatever lol. I still don't see why we can't change to having relief pitchers as a postion though.

Personally, I think 9 starters in the pitching category is a bit heavy handed. I would like to see 7 with a 5/2 split....5 starters or middle relievers and 2 relief. I see now there wouldn't be a way to control anyone from drafting 9 relievers....but they would have to drop some to feild a legal lineup so that makes that point mute.

As for paying for moves with cigars...I think 1 cigar per 5 moves is a little much. I like the .50 per move idea though.

As for the banker, I will volunteer for it if noone else wants to do it. I have a tupperdore thats currently idle I could put them in for storage. Of course the banker then assumes the role of postage payer at the end I would guess, right? I don't have an issue there either.

I only mentioned the .50 thing as a reference. I dont think we want to add cash to this thing, then again maybe I am wrong.

Since I am playing commish I figured someone else can be banker. So I dont care who does it.

I will put together a couple polls to settle the SP/RP thing and the transaction fees. It will be on the website and will most likely come to you in your emails. Just vote and It will be settled.

No, this doesn't happen. I've been in a league for a number of years, where we play this way, and pitchers are not more valuable than hitters. I don't think I've drafted a pitcher higher than the 8th round, and I've finished in the money every year.

30 teams x 9(with a dh)= 270 position players, subtract 16 for NL teams not having a DH= 254
12 teams x 13 players= 156 position players

156/254= .614
108/180= .600 Both percentages are too close to make any significant difference between hitters and pitchers.

Speaking from experience, it works. Or, add another hitting category like doubles/triples combined(that's fun) or OBP(I never played this way). :thumbs:

I only mentioned the .50 thing as a reference. I dont think we want to add cash to this thing, then again maybe I am wrong.

Since I am playing commish I figured someone else can be banker. So I dont care who does it.

I will put together a couple polls to settle the SP/RP thing and the transaction fees. It will be on the website and will most likely come to you in your emails. Just vote and It will be settled.

As i said earlier I volunteer to be the banker if it is ok with everyone. I can set up a small coolider just for this since I have an unlimited supply of 70% RH beads.

As i said earlier I volunteer to be the banker if it is ok with everyone. I can set up a small coolider just for this since I have an unlimited supply of 70% RH beads.

Works for me. Thanks for offering, and how do you have an unlimited supply of 70% beads? :thumbs:

Works for me. Thanks for offering, and how do you have an unlimited supply of 70% beads? :thumbs:

I order the generic Litter Pearls beads in bulk and sell them on ebay i have been using them in my coolidor and they keep a perfect 70% all the time.

I order the generic Litter Pearls beads in bulk and sell them on ebay i have been using them in my coolidor and they keep a perfect 70% all the time.

Very cool! Do you season them before you sell them, or do you just sell them as litter?

No, this doesn't happen. I've been in a league for a number of years, where we play this way, and pitchers are not more valuable than hitters. I don't think I've drafted a pitcher higher than the 8th round, and I've finished in the money every year.

30 teams x 9(with a dh)= 270 position players, subtract 16 for NL teams not having a DH= 254
12 teams x 13 players= 156 position players

156/254= .614
108/180= .600 Both percentages are too close to make any significant difference between hitters and pitchers.

Speaking from experience, it works. Or, add another hitting category like doubles/triples combined(that's fun) or OBP(I never played this way). :thumbs:

I know from personal experience that he plays a mean fantasy football the dirty bastige. :laugh:

Very cool! Do you season them before you sell them, or do you just sell them as litter?

Just sell them the way them are no seasoning necessary. the ones i put in my coolider were holding it at 70% within a few days. i have sold about 30 lbs worth so far and have never got a complaint.

I agree with Bsneed as far as opposing transaction fees. If someone falls behind early, there's more incentive to give up and keep your money/sticks instead of trying to work your way back up. I've seen this happen in other fantasy leagues I've played in which have transaction fees, which is why I don't play in those types of leagues anymore.

I dont know if you have already but I put two polls on the cbs site, vote on them and that should fix 2 things. Then we can talk about other stuff that people would like changed.

I voted for the 20 free with 1 for every 5 after, but I'm cool with unlimited, too.

I voted for the 20 free with 1 for every 5 after, but I'm cool with unlimited, too.

I am still missing 4 votes. The poll doesn't tell me what people vote for.

Greg brought up a good idea, currently the league is set as weekly. We can change this to a daily league. Now some people would think this is a ton of work and I did too until I was in a daily hockey league. You can set your lineup up weeks ahead of time if you want. You can also pull someone out if they get hurt.

What do you guys think?

Greg brought up a good idea, currently the league is set as weekly. We can change this to a daily league. Now some people would think this is a ton of work and I did too until I was in a daily hockey league. You can set your lineup up weeks ahead of time if you want. You can also pull someone out if they get hurt.

What do you guys think?

I disagree completely with a daily lineup league. Weekly lineups, with tough decisions on 1 start vs. 2 start pitchers forces you to think more about your teams lineup for the week and requires more strategy. With daily lineups you run into the issue of late in the year when the prizes are on the line, guys will jump out every single day making add/drops to boost categories like strikeouts, etc. Plus, to be perfectly honest, if I know that I have to get online every Sunday to set my lineup, I'm more likely to remember that, than to remember, on time, every single day that I have to make lineup changes.

What do you guys think?

I disagree completely with a daily lineup league. Weekly lineups, with tough decisions on 1 start vs. 2 start pitchers forces you to think more about your teams lineup for the week and requires more strategy. With daily lineups you run into the issue of late in the year when the prizes are on the line, guys will jump out every single day making add/drops to boost categories like strikeouts, etc. Plus, to be perfectly honest, if I know that I have to get online every Sunday to set my lineup, I'm more likely to remember that, than to remember, on time, every single day that I have to make lineup changes.

You don't have to log on everyday to do it. You can still log on only on Sundays if you want. You can set up the whole week in advance.

What do you guys think?

You don't have to log on everyday to do it. You can still log on only on Sundays if you want. You can set up the whole week in advance.

Still have to log in everyday to check for scratched starts, injuries, day games after night games, etc.