• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fat Tire beer

SFG75

Master-passer
Two years ago, I was attending a retirement party for my boss. The guy was drinking a brand called Fat Tire. I've usually been a fan of Coors and in particular, Coors Light. Maybe it has to do with Colorado, but I just love fat tire! Here's an interesting history and review from eopinions

Brewer Jeff Lebesch was inspired to create his brewery while traveling through Belgium on a fat-tired bicycle (the inspiration for the name of this wonderful beer). Shortly after returning home, he founded New Belgium Brewing in 1991 in the basement of his home in Fort Collins. The rest, as they say, is history and New Belgium now brews just about every conceivable Belgian style.

Of all the brews New Belgium produces, Fat Tire Amber may well be the most accessible to just about anyone. It’s not an overbearing beer by any means and that makes it a brew that those who don’t always drink craft beers still may enjoy. At the same time, the craft beer enthusiast will revel in its wonderful balance and crisp, delicate flavors. I certainly did.

Fat Tire Amber pours to a ruby-golden color with a thick, bubbly head formation and a toasty malt nose. The beer is indeed spectacular to behold. A solid wall of bubbles builds against the side of the glass and rises to the top in a steady procession. As you sip, a fine Brussels lace* forms on the sides of the glass. The palate is gently toasty and delicate with rich crystal malt notes hinting at light caramel and a touch of fruit leading into a nicely balanced hop finish.

I love the subtle balance of this beer. It has lots of flavor, but none of the flavors overpower the others. A touch of yeast fruit, a note of malt caramel, a hint of bitter hop all work together smoothly. Truly delightful, I paired it with a seasoned roast chicken bursting with garlic slivers inserted into the meat to great effect.

Anyone else out there a fat tire fanatic? If not, why not? Would you recommend this beer with a "spicy," or "forward" cigar? Or would it go best with something that was a little milder,....say.....a natural? I'm heading out to Colorado on the 22nd-hoping to bring back a trunk load of the stuff.

I really like fat tire. I live in colorado "microbrew heaven" I do prefer the Sunshine
over the fat tire though. I like Mont #2 with my fat tire. They play really well off of eachother.

http://www.newbelgium.com/

beers.jpg

:love: :love: :love: :lookup: :love: :love:

Thanks for the information and the link-will be doing some more researching on them.

I knew that they were into the whole alternative power thing, but I had no idea that....

New Belgium is the first wind powered brewery in America–eliminating 1,800 tonnes (metric tons) of CO2 emissions per year.

As well as...

As well, this brewing facility is a nationally recognized paradigm of environmental efficiency. From leading edge enviro–gizmos (like the steam condenser on kettle reusing hot water) to conspicuous pragmatism (sun tubes providing daytime lighting), one can witness conservation and recycling throughout many functions of the building. In fine environmental pioneering fashion, the entire NBB staff agreed in 1998 to the financial commitment to make their facility the first wind powered brewery in America.

Wow!

I went out West several months ago. I stopped for the night at Flagstaff for the night. I ended up at a local night spot called Altitudes drinking Flat Tire. Best draft beer I have had in years. :D Bought a case to bring home.

Saw this when I was on the west coast a couple of months ago. The one time I tried to try it the keg was kicked at the bar I was at. Next time..

I I commented to SGF75 in another thread Fat Tire is an awesome beer and one of the few domestics I try to keep in my fridge.

When I have over friends who don't enjoy my heavier Stout, Porter, Ales, Double and Triple Bocks I hand them a Fat Tire.

I was checking out the site, did one of the brothers here live near that brewery? Is there any of that La Folie available? I would like to try it.

-Matt-

SFG75 said:
I knew that they were into the whole alternative power thing, but I had no idea that....

New Belgium is the first wind powered brewery in America–eliminating 1,800 tonnes (metric tons) of CO2 emissions per year.

As well as...

As well, this brewing facility is a nationally recognized paradigm of environmental efficiency. From leading edge enviro–gizmos (like the steam condenser on kettle reusing hot water) to conspicuous pragmatism (sun tubes providing daytime lighting), one can witness conservation and recycling throughout many functions of the building. In fine environmental pioneering fashion, the entire NBB staff agreed in 1998 to the financial commitment to make their facility the first wind powered brewery in America.

Wow!
People from west of the Mississippi crack me up. What are they going to think of next? A device to recapture methane gas emitted in public restrooms? I love it.

As for the employees giving up compensation to support the windpower idea, I would like to interview them anonymously and see how many agreed just to avoid pissing off the owner. LMAO!

Oh, well. It's all about the beer! :p

Ok, you talked me into it. Im gonna head out to my local microbrew stocking store, and see if I can get some of this, it sounds teriffic to me.
It will be a switch from my current favorite "Leinenkugle Red Lager".

Thanks for the info, gotta love a good microbrew, I am fortunate enough to have a couple of them within a few minutes drive.

JV

Never tried the Fat Tire but when I was out to Colorado this time last year I did get to try Buttface Beer........pretty good..nothing great but pretty good.

I'll look for Fat Tire next time I am out there

AVB said:
You can find it here , here or here if you need to mail order it.
Maybe I'll order a sixer from Bevmo to give it a try.

This decision was greatly influenced by the fact I can also order my all time favorite beer from them, Orval :love:

Buying fat tire online. . . OH MY GOD! Life is great with technology. :thumbs:

other1 said:
This decision was greatly influenced by the fact I can also order my all time favorite beer from them, Orval :love:
Is it anything like Chimay :love: ? If so, I'll have to give it a try.

mmm... Fat Tire on tap is delicious.

But my new beer of choice is Shiner Heferweizen. Can't beat it. :thumbs: