• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fedex Ground...when you absolutely, positively,

bmd34202

The following rant is provided to the board in the hopes that maybe someone will find some humor in my grief. If you don't want to read my complaining about Fedex Ground stop now! :D

A package of cigars from a retailer was scheduled to arrive today via Fedex Ground. When I got home, it was not here AND there was no tag on the door. I called at about 6:30 to see what the story was. I was told they are still out delivering and could be up to 8:00. Fine. Then I called again at 7:45 to get the status and was told the same thing. Fine.

At 9:00 when it still hasn't shown up I logged on the website and saw "8:50 p.m. Delivery Exception - Customer not available or Business Closed". Obviously now I called and of course at the 800 number they can't actually do anything, so they tried to call the local (Tampa) terminal. It's closed. GEEEEEE, I wonder why. IT'S 9:00 PM!!!! Nothing they can do. I explained the guy never even attempted to deliver since there was no tag and I was home from 5:30 onward. The representative basically admitted the delivery attempt was indeed after 5:30.

They'll try again tomorrow but since a signature IS required, they won't be leaving it. Since they didn't LEAVE ME A TAG to sign and leave for them it get's to spend all weekend sitting in the Fedex warehouse so that maybe, just maybe on Monday I might actually get my package instead of today.

Did Fedex offer to do anything for their screwup? No. I suggested they deliver to an alternate address (work). Nope. Can't do that. Then to top it all off, the person confirmed that I was in Florida...then....said well, because of the Hurricane maybe it messed up the delivery schedule. This is possible. IF I LIVED ANYWHERE WITHIN 200 MILES OF THE @#$%@#% STORM DAMAGE!!!!!

The remaining part of the call was certainly not pleasant for the person, but supposedly the Tampa Terminal manager is calling me tomorrow.

Fedex Ground is horrible.

FedEx is one of the worst companies in existance. Seriously, don't expect them to call you back - they won't. No matter how many times you call them and they promise, they never call. They never do anything at all to try and make it look like they are going to look into a problem, and give you the run-around when you try to file a complaint about their drivers leaving packages at the wrong houses and lying about getting a signature (been there, done that).

I have actually just taken a piece of paper, taped it to the door with a written note like:

Deliever person,
please leave any and all packages for me on the doorstep blah blah blah, then I print my name, sign it and leave it.

To date, I have yet to have a package NOT be left with one of these, even thought it is not on their sticky form. And my brother drivs for UPS and he's the one that told me to do it.

Just a thought...

Fedex does stink...

I'd wait for Lumpy to give some advice, he seems to know everything these days... ;)

Man, I'll tell ya Swissy, I do that ALL the time for UPS, Fed Ex, etc.... I leave a sticky message note (larger than the usual yellow pads) and instruct them exactly what to do with my package, and they are perfect in complying.

This probably isn't the popular opinion, but I have NEVER had a problem with Fed Ex (and I have an account for shipping with them).

Now watch.... I've just jinxed myself and I'll have my next package arrive at my house in pieces!

I CAN feel for you, though... I've had UPS do this with me and I've had to chase them down to the Buffal airport a few times to get a package that they won't even leave with me, even when I sign the slip stating they can leave it again. If I'm not home UPS will not leave the package. I dont know why....

Darren

Swissy said:
I have actually just taken a piece of paper, taped it to the door with a written note like:

Deliever person,
please leave any and all packages for me on the doorstep blah blah blah, then I print my name, sign it and leave it.

To date, I have yet to have a package NOT be left with one of these, even thought it is not on their sticky form. And my brother drivs for UPS and he's the one that told me to do it.

Just a thought...
[snapback]245755[/snapback]​

Great advice Swissy. I guess I figued it had to be on one of their stupid little notes. I'm gonna make one up on my middle finger Post-It notes and stick it to the door. :D

Gonna go smoke now to calm the hell down. Maybe a flavored White Owl. Yumm.

Swissy said:

Deliever person,

Just a thought...
[snapback]245755[/snapback]​

Fed Ex Ground hold packages, nor deliever to a business on a Saturday (open or not). It's ok for a week delivery, but I won't do it the weekend.

Never had a problem with FedEx. But as a corporate company, I can see how it would be hard for them to make everyone happy. There is always someone to screw it up.

i hate Fed-Ex :sign: I use courior daily, and rely on them. I prefer Purolator, they just the scan the NSR bar code on my mailbox, and drop it in!

I've had problems with all the delivery companies at one time or another. However, since FedEx started their ground service they have had the most problems.

Up here all the FedEx ground delivery people are independent contractors hired by FedEx. I've had people show up at my doorstep at 9PM in street clothes with a Marlboro hanging from their lips and two other people waiting in their 1977 El Dorado to deliver. I almost called the cops when I saw this guy coming up my drive way.

I've also had packages delivered to our neighbors down the road and been told to my face at the local office that I shouldn't lie about not getting my packages.

FedEx gets none of my business if I can help it. . .

I've worked for UPS on two occasions and as far as I can tell, even though there is going to be occasional problems due to humans doing the work, it's a very well-run company, and they do everything in their power to get things right. They really go to great lengths to make it right, whether it be with their employees or their customers.

IMO. I worked out of two hubs, one in Maryland and one in Virginia.

Fed-Ex (at least in my area) is a hell of a lot better than DHL (D.H. Hell). At least our Fed-Ex guy makes an attempt, the DHL folks have left on my door step packages from my wine of the month club that require over the age of 21 signatures for the 12 deliveries they have made, left the packages out in the sun to boot. they lost an order of Padron maddie 2K's this summer on me as well. Of all the delivery companies I deal with at work and at home, UPS has to be the best of the bunch, followed by USPS and FED-Ex. I refuse to deal with DH Hell.

I have to give it to them....the manager did call me this afternoon and they did leave it on the doorstep. He apologized and said he really didn't know what the problem was and gave me his direct office number if I have any future problems. :thumbs: You have to give it to them for following up.

Damn I got grumpy with my AWOL cigars...

After all my horrible experiences with FedEx, i would have no sympathy for them if their corporate headquarters burned down.

UPS or drive it there yourself!

-Zach

I'll have to add my name to the list of people who thinks FedEx Ground/Home delivery in my area SUCKS!
seriobronca.gif

Check out the screwy tracking info. I was home all day on the 2nd, and I need not be here, the parcel does not require a signature. The FEDEX ground/home people have been here at least 100 times in the last few years.
I have a FEDEX Ground account, including their Insight service and ship regularly from this address. NOW they don't know where I live? My home/business address is in MAPQUEST, YAHOO MAPS, etc etc.
1-picture6.gif
So meanwhile my Cuesta Rey Stanfords will be riding around for 5 days on their vehicle in 17-45 degree weather. Every time FEDEX Ground gets busy in my area this is what happens. This same type of stunt has happen 4-5 times in the last year. Never happens with USPS.

I called them, but they really don't give a damn about the receiver, they only care if the shipper calls and raises cane with them and demands a refund, or threatens to take their business elsewhere.

We'll see...

I would suggest you call the Fedex 800 number and ask to file a formal complaint. You will get a case number (insist that you do) and in my case the district manager actually called me the next day. Might help. Can't hurt.

Edit: How are those Stanfords anyway? I have one cooking in the humidor now.

Okay...here is the Deal. FedEx has the best network for non-business to business non-rush domestic service of the 3 integrators (integrators = large shipping company that relies on a hub and spoke system), they integrate the work to make money). For international shipping I suggest never using an integrator, always try to find a private courier that flys commercial courier, and yes it will be cheaper (just hard to find a company to do it for you without regular business).
With the integrators no matter how much bitching you do it just won't matter. The Big three (FedEx ,UPS DHL) work on a success rate of 85%-88% which means you have a late/mis-routing of 12%-15%. For the volume that these companies are servicing this is no small feat. Unfortunately for the public it is very hard to set up a Domestic shipping system (much harder than an international shipping network) it's cost prohibitive.
For time sensitive shipping domestically or heavy weight that is another story all together, there are ways to get the job done whilst keeping your bottom line intact I.E your wallet. I could talk about this shit all day but it will begin to sound like Blah Blah Blah so I won't.

Moral of the story is that there are ways to work with the integrators while you are having problems to help expedite fixing the problem, but after the shipment is delivered and you feel like bitching, don't wast your breath :angry2: (unless you haven't been credited for the shipment of course).
If anyone has any questions about shipping in the future just ask :)

Bye,
your CP shipping guru
jus10 :D

Im VERY anti UPS due to their packaging policies(must leave the box open when you bring it it and then get harrassed about its contents ??? )and denyment of a few claims ive filed with them due to damaged merchandice on their part. USPS now gets the majority of my business....their cheaper, usually faster and offer more options. Ive had nothing but good luck with Fed-Ex too...they are still cheaper than UPS ive never had any issues with them. I do alot of ebay transactions so i do alot of shipping and those are the only two carriers i will use anymore.

DOWN WITH UPS!! :sign: