• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

feeling clean and refreshed...

Jabba,

In answer to the first question as you phrased it, no. And I think common sense would suggest that this would be a reasonable answer. Clearly cigars do not "refresh" palates in the same sense as brushing, mouthwash, or mints. However, I have smoked cigars that have left my palate with an aftertaste that was essentially devoid of tobacco "nasties." That is to say that I was left with nothing but the sensation and finish of clear, clean tobacco. Typically this is accompanied by a touch of sweetness. Most recently, I have experienced this with Quai D'Orsay, ERdM Lunch Club, Fuente 858 Candela. I would contrast this with cigars such as Helix and Macanudo that, though mild and leave very little aftertaste of any kind, do leave some traces of cigar funk.

As to the second question, I haven't really got a clue. If I were to hazard a guess, though, I'd say:
1. the blend
2. proper curing and aging
3. proper storage conditions
4. proper combustion conditions
5. proper smoking technique

Wilkey

However, I have smoked cigars that have left my palate with an aftertaste that was essentially devoid of tobacco "nasties." That is to say that I was left with nothing but the sensation and finish of clear, clean tobacco. Typically this is accompanied by a touch of sweetness.

Wilkey

Great answer Wilkey, clean and refreshed probably aren't the right words but I think your description hit the nail on the head.

Interesting that you mentioned the 858 Candela because I find that any sort of fired cured tobacco is the worst for a brutal aftertaste, although I haven't tried this particular one.

Interesting that you mentioned the 858 Candela because I find that any sort of fired cured tobacco is the worst for a brutal aftertaste, although I haven't tried this particular one.

You know, that's curious to me too. I was just reading Dale Scott's book on cigars and he also states that candelas are harsh and nasty. I just didn't find this to be the case with the 858 candela. It was mild, sweet and very, very smooth.

Wilkey

It was actually a serious question :angry: :D

C'mon, you've been around here long enough to know that the odds of getting a serious answer to a question like this (where you quoted one of those typically dopey "cigar reviewers" :rolleyes: )here are slim to none. :laugh:

Sorry but I can't take these types of reviews seriously at all, "clean and refreshed" you gotta be freakin' KIDDING me.
whatever.gif
If I were to break out some of my old issues of cA, I could find a whole lot more material to make fun of these guy but I don't feel like walking upstairs to my attic right now.

To me, tobacco tastes like TOBACCO and I dunno about the rest of ya but "clean and refreshed" are never two words that would come to my mind when I finished smoking a cigar. :rolleyes:

James Suckling wrote the following describing a cigar smoking experience...

"What struck me about the XXXXXXXXXX—even with a debutant's palate—was its balance and harmony. The cigars were rich and flavorful, yet elegant and refined at the same time. They delivered lots of flavor, but left your palate feeling clean and refreshed. Moreover, if you smoked one after dinner, the next morning your mouth didn't feel as if you had been chewing tobacco in your sleep."

First question... Have you ever experienced a flavourful cigar that left your palate clean and refreshed? If yes, what cigar(s)?

Second question... If you answered YES to the above, what factors do you feel contribute the greatest to a flavourful clean and refreshing cigar.

Sounds like Suckling grabbed one of these by mistake:

douche.jpg

James Suckling wrote the following describing a cigar smoking experience...

"What struck me about the XXXXXXXXXX—even with a debutant's palate—was its balance and harmony. The cigars were rich and flavorful, yet elegant and refined at the same time. They delivered lots of flavor, but left your palate feeling clean and refreshed. Moreover, if you smoked one after dinner, the next morning your mouth didn't feel as if you had been chewing tobacco in your sleep."

First question... Have you ever experienced a flavourful cigar that left your palate clean and refreshed? If yes, what cigar(s)?

Second question... If you answered YES to the above, what factors do you feel contribute the greatest to a flavourful clean and refreshing cigar.

Sounds like Suckling grabbed one of these by mistake:

douche.jpg

:D :D :D I was waiting for your response, nice one.

Only aged Cuban Davidoffs leave that feeling in my mouth.

It never ceases to amaze me how varied and subjective cigar smoking experiences can be.

Last night may well have been the last time until spring that the temperature, time available, etc. were conducive to having a cigar on the back porch, so I decided that something special was in order.

I put a mid-'80s Chateau Mouton Rothchild to the torch. It was excellent - maybe 4th or 5th on my all-time best list. I imagine that if it were ten or twelve years younger, that it would have been the best cigar I've ever smoked.

More than 9 hours, a couple of toothbrushings, a cup of coffee and breakfast later, the aftertaste still lingers. It isn't offensive in any way, but I'm ready for it to be gone.

I don't know if it has to do with body chemistry, perception, or something else, but my experience is quite opposite CvilleYoungGun's.

Fascinating stuff! :)

Yes, the very bottomline is everyone's tastes vary dramatically.

and...

it still does not take away from the fact, (no matter what anyone says),
certain ISOM's, leave a lingering "fresh" taste on MY palate for many hours.

If some of you only have a tobacco taste, no matter what you smoke, well then,
I guess I'm getting more out of some of my smokes ;) :thumbs:

Brian