• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

first box purchase

abenewson

Okay i bought this box of cigars from Hiland cigars in scottsdale AZ...Very beautiful cigar..I brought it home and smoked one, hey might as well try it out...About five to ten minutes into it i started getting a massive headache...I ventured to about twenty minutes and couldn't handle it anymore...So i put it out and as soon as the smoke cleared headache started going away...So i figured must be the cigar right...Since i am a newbie to cigars i would like know what you all think about this situation...I am guessing the cigars are to dry to smoke and need to put in humidor...if i am right which i hope so, because this things are beautiful and want to smoke every one..PLEASE HELP OUT A NEWBIE

S6301126.jpg

S6301125.jpg

Interesting. What made you decide to buy a whole box of these before you tried one, or have you had them in the past and only got a headache once you smoked them at home?

I rarely if ever buy whole boxes of cigars and when I do, I make darn well sure it's one that I really like. There just aren't many cigars that I a) like enough to keep a full box hanging around in the humi and b) can afford to buy a box at a time.

In your situation, my guess is that something with name "missile" in it is probably pretty strong and you may not be used to smoking such a strong cigar. It also may be a larger cigar than you are used to. I doubt the humidification has much to do with it. Also, smoke slowly. Some people rush things and it ruins the flavor, plus makes you sick.

Never had one of these cigars but they look to be a full cigar. Maybe a little to much for someone who just started.

Having said that, I have never heard of a cigar giving someone a headache. Maybe a nausea but not a headache.

Never had one of these cigars but they look to be a full cigar. Maybe a little to much for someone who just started.

Having said that, I have never heard of a cigar giving someone a headache. Maybe a nausea but not a headache.

Actually, I'm the same way. If I smoke too much (like last week when I tried to follow up a Brazilia with a My Father), I'll get a headache before I get sick.

Cigars can definitely give a person a headache.

Try it again as a 2nd or 3rd cigar of the day, after a big dinner.

For instance, Saturday morning you smoke a mild cigar with your coffee, a med. Cigar after lunch or while cooking out, and

the third head ripper after a big dinner of pizza and wings.

In addition, if you are smoking a full bodied cigar in a closed space, you are getting a lot of second hand smoke.

That can even get to a hard core smoker, like myself.

I have never heard of headaches either.
Never heard of those cigars either. However they look pretty full bodied.

You would be better off heading over to the newbie sampler trade thread. Once there you can be placed in contact with a seinior member. They will cater a package that you will be very pleased with. It's a great way to get your feet wet.

As for those missles, stash them away in the humi. Give em a rest for a while. Maybe they will mellow over time.

Being new to this hobby, you most likely would never pick up on it, but did you taste any ammonia? I've picked this up in some freshies, and for some reason the stronger this is, the stronger my headache is that it ALWAYS gives me.

Put em down and re-visit in several months.

Maybe nicotine overload? Try having a good meal before you smoke the next one.

Contrary to what the brand suggests, these are mild cigars!! So I think you should rather look at your experience as a cigar smoker. A full stomach and calm smoking can help!!

Being new to this hobby, you most likely would never pick up on it, but did you taste any ammonia? I've picked this up in some freshies, and for some reason the stronger this is, the stronger my headache is that it ALWAYS gives me.

I'm gonna go with this answer, or that you smoked one on an empty stomach... Sorry this happened but maybe go for something with less body but just as much flavor, like a Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label...

Am I the only one that caught this?

You aren't storing them in a humidor?

Nic buzz... Just smoke a little slower next time and definatly eat beforehand...

Also, If you start to experience this in the future a little Coke or and other sugary drink will help to qualm the headache and stomach issues....

A sungrown Nicaraguan named "Missile." Chances are it's not a "light/mild" cigar; definitely a nic overdose. Like ^^^ Lurch said, only after a big meal or with a sugary accomaniment.

Derek

Interesting. What made you decide to buy a whole box of these before you tried one, or have you had them in the past and only got a headache once you smoked them at home?

I rarely if ever buy whole boxes of cigars and when I do, I make darn well sure it's one that I really like. There just aren't many cigars that I a) like enough to keep a full box hanging around in the humi and b) can afford to buy a box at a time.

In your situation, my guess is that something with name "missile" in it is probably pretty strong and you may not be used to smoking such a strong cigar. It also may be a larger cigar than you are used to. I doubt the humidification has much to do with it. Also, smoke slowly. Some people rush things and it ruins the flavor, plus makes you sick.

I just wanted to make my first box purchase something new...And no it was my first time smoking this brand...thanks for the words

Cigars can definitely give a person a headache.

Try it again as a 2nd or 3rd cigar of the day, after a big dinner.

For instance, Saturday morning you smoke a mild cigar with your coffee, a med. Cigar after lunch or while cooking out, and

the third head ripper after a big dinner of pizza and wings.

In addition, if you are smoking a full bodied cigar in a closed space, you are getting a lot of second hand smoke.

That can even get to a hard core smoker, like myself.

I have only been doing one cigar a day...i aint hardcore yet, and i smoke outside on my back patio or in the front yard in a good chair and a drink in hand...i will most defin smoke the next one after a meal...thanks for your words

not yet in humidor...I only have a 50 ct right now and is about full or pretty close to it...I only got them monday..I have 30 Rambling River and a sortment of others like cohiba, bering, montecristo, punch, a fuente, romeo y julite...nothing to extravagant but different ones to get my palate wet...

I'm gonna go with this answer, or that you smoked one on an empty stomach... Sorry this happened but maybe go for something with less body but just as much flavor, like a Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label...

A DP blue label?! Wait, I forgot, Jon can rip through a T110 on an empty stomach!
laugh.gif
AND do pushups after!

I would heed many, if not all of the good advice given from the members. Eventually, you'll find which combination suits your style of smoking so you can enjoy the calmness, the buzz, or even the swooning a good cigar will bring you. I grab certain smokes just for those reasons too.

Try them again after a good amount of downtime (month or two at the least). If they are still too strong for your current tastes either put them away for a couple of years to mellow or see if anyone here would be interested in taking them off your hands once you've been around long enough to do trades.

I used to like mellow cigars, now I mostly think they taste bland... so maybe a bit of time is all you need.

not yet in humidor...I only have a 50 ct right now and is about full or pretty close to it...I only got them monday..I have 30 Rambling River and a sortment of others like cohiba, bering, montecristo, punch, a fuente, romeo y julite...nothing to extravagant but different ones to get my palate wet...
If you don't get them in a humidor soon you won't have to worry about smoking any more of them, especially living in Arizona.