• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FLOGGING MOLLY

Since people know I'm a Dropkick Murphy's fan, a few of them have told me I should check out Flogging Molly. A guy my ex-wife works with is a huge Flogging Molly fan and he burned me a CD. I've listened to it a little and they sound pretty good. :thumbs: I didn't know they were going to be at Toad's Place. :0 They were there this past February but I missed the show. :( Hopefully I'll be able to make it down on the 11th. :thumbs:

The Tubes are going to be near me in Shirley, MA on October 1st. I'm hoping to be able to make that show. :thumbs:

Cool band. Fun concerts. Dropkick Murphys are aresome live too.

I agree! :thumbs:

I've seen them seven times in the past ten months. :0

Dropkick Murphys just announced a show for October 21st at the Palladium in Worcester, MA, COUNT ME IN! :laugh:

Yep, I'm a big Dropkick Murphys fan, and I've just started listening to Flogging Molly also.

Fields of Athenry, Tessie, and Black Velvet Band are three of my all time favorite songs.

Any other really good Irish rock bands out there? How are the Pogges (sp?) I've heard of them, supposedly they influence DKM, but I've never actually heard their stuff.

Anyone like the Pogues too? A drunken Irishman singing just seems to "speak" to me. lol!

I've listened to a little bit of the Pogues, they're pretty good but more on the traditional side as opposed to DKM which is more punk. Dropkick Murphys cover a song of theirs "Billy's Bones" which you can find on the Singles Collection Volume 1.

Yep, I'm a big Dropkick Murphys fan, and I've just started listening to Flogging Molly also.

Fields of Athenry, Tessie, and Black Velvet Band are three of my all time favorite songs.

Any other really good Irish rock bands out there? How are the Pogges (sp?) I've heard of them, supposedly they influence DKM, but I've never actually heard their stuff.
:laugh:

My favorite DKM songs change, right now, these are my favorites:

Captain Kelly's Kitchen
Heroes of our Past
Boston Asphalt
Devil's Brigade
Dirty Glass
Legend of Finn MacCumhail
Caps and Bottles
Fields of Athenry
Worker's Song
Boys on the Docks
Warrior's Code
Rocky Road to Dublin

I know the words to all of them. :laugh:

Another good Irish Punk/Celtic band is the Street Dogs which has Mike McColgan as the lead singer. He was the lead singer on the first DKM album "Do Or Die." Street Dogs were touring with Flogging Molly but I don't think they are now. They also did a show in Boston with The Pogues, I wish I woulda known...... :(

I went and found some audio clips for both these bands. surpriseingly I liked them both but DKM had a song warrior circle I liked more may have to order that album just for that song. i am not a big punk fan but thanks for turning me onto these bands.

i am not a big punk fan but thanks for turning me onto these bands.

Same for me, I'm really not into punk, but just anything Irish rock. Gotta love the pipes.

One other song I forgot, "Good Rats", any song about Guinness is one that I like. :laugh:

The Pogues are the best, IMHO

I do love Dropkick Murphys, and have seen them live 5-6 times.

Never been a big Floggin Molly fan for some reason. I think they are 'OK', but just not my thing.

Flogging Molly are pretty decent. Sometimes, in my opinion, they just try a bit too hard to fit the mold of the genre they are in. But, I've seen 'em live many times and probably will continue to go their shows in the future. Great people really.

You can get lost in the myriad of bands fitting this bill. The Pogues by far are the superior forefathers. Keep going down the line, you get other bands like the Tossers (pretty damn good), Blood or Whiskey, The Briggs (good stuff), The Blaggards (from Texas of all places...I think...but not too bad), Saint Bushmill's Choir, Finnegan's Lads, The Fisticuffs, the Prodigals (DAMN, DAMN good...especially their first few lps) and even The Porters (from Germany, doing their take on Paddy Rock...um, ok) - not to mention all the other groups that have already been discussed in other threads.

Anyway, some are great bands, others, not so much. But still, you can find a lot of great stuff out there. Best bet if you don't go to shows much and see first hand, get some "Shite and Onions" comps or the now-hard-to-find "Paddy Rock Radio" comps (or at least tune in to it...website is easy enough to find if you really want to...I suggest bookmarking it as it is INCREDIBLE), and you will be exposed to more than enough material so you can go out on your own and find what you truly like.

Edited to add -

Speaking of the Holy Grail that are and were The Pogues (both with and post Shane), also worth checking out are The Popes. That was what Shane went off and started after leaving The Pogues. Some of their stuff has him, some doesn't. But you really cannot go wrong with their "Holloway Blvd." cd. It has its bumps in the road (no pun intended), but it is overall, excellent.

Well, it's nto really a Flogging Molly show, but one of those multi-band tours. I would love to know how much FM will play, but will still go, regardless.

As for DKM, well, I would pretty much live at a Murphys show if I could.

Anyone else like them?

Just found out my darling wife got us tickets for the 11th! She rocks..especially considering that she really dislikes them!

ANyone else in/near CT feel like hitting Toads place for the show?

I was looking for ya Josh. I was over on the far right side, and was right up front, all the way over at the corner of the stage right next to that bench where you told me that you and your wife were at for the DKM show. Got to meet Dennis Casey after the show. I bought a couple of their CDs and he signed one for me. :thumbs:

Most of the songs they did tonight (well, last night now :laugh: ) were from "Drunken Lullabies" which I think is by far their best CD.

The Pogues are the best, IMHO

I do love Dropkick Murphys, and have seen them live 5-6 times.

Never been a big Floggin Molly fan for some reason. I think they are 'OK', but just not my thing.

I tend to agree with ya Celt. I thought the Flogging Molly show was "good" I enjoy DKM much more. You may have missed it in the DKM thread but now that I've listened to all of the DKM CDs (per your suggesting), "Gang's All Here" is my favorite. :thumbs:

I'm going to see them on October 21st in Worcester which will be the 9th time I've seen them since my first show last November. :0

I like them well enough, but I like the Dropkick Murphys better. ;)

I've always had the feeling they'd be better live than they are on CD. I'd jump at the chance to see them. Enjoy!

YES!! They are MUCH BETTER live! :thumbs:

Okay, concert report time! :laugh:

Flogging Molly, Street Dogs, Twopointeight
March 9, 2007, Starland Ballroom, Sayreville, New Jersey

On Friday, March 9th, I went to see Flogging Molly, Street Dogs and Twopointeight at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ. This club is better than average for this type of venue because it has risers around the outside walls and you can get a great, unobstructed view. We found a spot on the very right side of the stage so we were up pretty close to the front. We got there just in time to see Twopointeight play a 45 minute set. They're a typical punk band out of Sweeden and they were pretty good. We missed the first act which was just one guy playing a guitar by himself, oh well.....

Lately, I've become a huge Street Dogs fan, and here's their set list from the show:

1. Not Without a Purpose (Fading American Dream)
2. Common People (Fading American Dream)
3. Back To the World (Back to the World)
4. You Alone (Back to the World)
5. Savin Hill (Savin Hill)
6. Drink Tonight (Back to the World)
7. In Defense of Dorchester (Back to the World)
8. Final Transmission (Fading American Dream)
9. Tobe’s Got a Drinking Problem (Fading American Dream)
10. Katie Bar the Door (Fading American Dream)
11. Road of the Righteous (Dropkick Murphys – Do Or Die)
12. Fighter (Savin Hill)

What was really cool was they did "Road of the Righteous" which is a song that Mike McColgan wrote when he was the front man for Dropkick Murphys.

Unfortunately since Street Dogs were a warm up band, they played a very short set. :( These guys put on a GREAT show, I was psyched to see them start the show with "Not Without a Purpose." :thumbs:

Okay, on to the main act! The accordion player for Flogging Molly announced in January of this year that he would be leaving the band so I was hoping they'd replace him for the "Green 17" tour this year and they did, with a guy from Ireland! :thumbs: They have a song with a huge accrdion piece called "Tomorrow Comes a Day Too Soon" which as I expected they didn't do, most likely due to the fact that the accordion player has only been with them for a little over a month. When I saw Flogging Molly last October, they did do this song which plays in the background on their DVD that comes with their "Whiskey on a Sunday" CD/DVD set.

Here's the set list:

1. Another Bag of Bricks (Drunken Lullabies)
2. ??? (Something I didn't know)
3. The Likes of You Again (Swagger)
4. Swagger (Drunken Lullabies)
5. Screaming At the Wailing Wall (Within a Mile of Home)
6. Selfish Man (Swagger)
7. ??? (Something else I didn't know)
8. Whistles the Wind (Within a Mile of Home)
9. Drunken Lullabies (Drunken Lullabies)
10. Laura (Alive Behind the Green Door, Whiskey on a Sunday)
11. Tobacco Island (Within a Mile of Home)
12. Queen Anne’s Revenge (Within a Mile of Home)
13. Factory Girls (Within a Mile of Home)
14. Rebels of the Sacred Heart (Drunken Lullabies)
15. Devil’s Dance Floor (Swagger)
16. Salty Dog (Swagger)
17. If I Ever Leave This World Alive (Drunken Lullabies)
18. Within a Mile of Home (Within a Mile of Home)
19. What’s Left of the Flag (Drunken Lullabies)
Encore:
20. Black Friday Rule – Acoustic (Swagger)
21. Seven Deadly Sins (Within a Mile of Home)

The place was sold out and the crowd was really into the show, they knew the words for the classics like "Salty Dog," "Rebels of the Sacred Heart" & "What's Left of the Flag." The PA system in the club was set up almost perfectly so you could actually CLEARLY hear the bands. This is probably one of the best sound systems I've ever experienced in a venue like this. Teh Avalon in Boston is a close second but that totally depends on how smart the guy at the sound board is. :rolleyes:

Flogging Molly just recorded an EP for St. Patrick's Day called "Complete Control Sessions" with six acoustic songs, two of which are brand new "Requiem for a Dying Son" & "Float." If you go to their MySpace site, you can hear them.

This has to have been on of the BEST shows I've seen in a long time!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Stay tuned for Dropkick Murphys reviews in that thread, I'm scheduled to see them three times within the next week! :laugh:

4. You Alone (Back to the World)

7. In Defense of Dorchester (Back to the World)

My two favorite SD songs. I will have to check out the Fading American Dream CD. Is it worth the buy?

Flogging Molly kicked off their 2009 Green 17 Tour this year in New York City and I was at the show. The venue was the Hammerstein Ballroom which is a nice venue. A general admission floor and two balconies. We were on the first balcony. This was a BIG show, it was sold out and there were about 3500 people there! :0 We missed the first warm up band. The second one was The Agrolites who weren't bad but I don't really know their music. They're a psuedo reggae band out of Los Angeles.

Flogging Molly typically does 21 songs for their shows and that's exactly what they played for this show. They did EIGHT songs off of their newest CD "Float" which was even more than they did when I saw their tour last year when they were touring the new CD (they did seven selections for those shows). Here's the set list:

Flogging Molly – February 15, 2009, Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, New York

1. Man With No Country (Float)
2. The Likes of You Again (Swagger)
3. Requiem For A Dying Song (Float)
4. Selfish Man (Swagger)
5. Whistles the Wind (Within a Mile of Home)
6. Won’t Make A Fool Out Of Me (Float)
7. (No More) Paddy’s Lament (Float)
8. Drunken Lullabies (Drunken Lullabies)
9. Us Of Lesser Gods (Float)
10. The Son Never Shines (On Closed Doors) (Drunken Lullabies)
11. Float (Float)
12. Tobacco Island (Within a Mile of Home)
13. The Kilburn High Road (Drunken Lullabies)
14. Rebels of the Sacred Heart (Drunken Lullabies)
15. Lightening Storm (Float)
16. If I Ever Leave This World Alive (Drunken Lullabies)
17. Whistles The Wind (Within a Mile of Home)
18. Seven Deadly Sins (Within a Mile of Home)
Encore:
19. Devil’s Dance Floor (Swagger)
20. Salty Dog (Swagger)
21. The Story So Far (Float)

I was very surprised they didn't do "Black Friday Rule" which is one of their mainstays off of their first CD "Swagger."

Here are the dates for the rest of the tour:

Feb 15 2009 Hammerstein Ballroom New York, New York
Feb 16 2009 Metropolis Montreal, Quebec
Feb 17 2009 Sound Academy Toronto, Ontario
Feb 19 2009 The Fillmore Detroit, Michigan
Feb 20 2009 House of Blues Cleveland, Ohio
Feb 21 2009 House of Blues Cleveland, Ohio
Feb 23 2009 Myth St. Paul, Minnesota
Feb 24 2009 Uptown Theater Kansas City, Missouri
Feb 25 2009 The Pageant St. Louis, Missouri
Feb 27 2009 Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre Houston, Texas
Feb 28 2009 Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater Austin, Texas
Mar 1 2009 House of Blues New Orleans, Louisiana
Mar 2 2009 House of Blues New Orleans, Louisiana
Mar 4 2009 Tabernacle Atlanta, Georgia
Mar 5 2009 House of Blues Orlando, Florida
Mar 6 2009 Pompano Beach Amphitheatre Pomoano Beach, FL, Florida
Mar 9 2009 The National Richmond, Virginia
Mar 10 2009 House of Blues Boston, Massachusetts
Mar 11 2009 Water Street Music Hall Rochester, New York
Mar 13 2009 House of Blues Atlantic City, New Jersey
Mar 14 2009 Shamrock Festival at RFK Stadium Parking Lots 7 & 8 Washington, DC
Mar 17 2009 Congress Theater Chicago, Illinois

They're doing St. Paddy's Day in CHICAGO :0 (The Tosser's Hometown). The Tossers are playing Chicago on March 14th and playing in Milwaukee on the 17th. DropKick Murphys are doing something like seven or eight shows in their hometown of Boston that week. I'm going to see them in Hartford on March 9th and I have tickets for one of the Boston Shows on March 13th. I plan on seeing The Tossers in Hoboken, NJ on March 6th and the Street Dogs on March 11 in Providence. :D I may try to fit in a Flatfoot56 show on March 12th in Brooklyn, NY. :D It's gonna be a busy couple of weeks.

Big thread bump... but that's okay because Flogging Molly is awesome. I'm glad you had fun CC. I'm surprised they didn't do "Black Friday Rule".

I first saw them in 2001 when they opened for Bouncing Souls. It was the happiest pit I've ever been in... like a big, Guinness soaked party. They're a blast to see live, but I haven't been able to catch one of their shows since 2004.

My favorite DKM song has to be Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya. Makes me want to dye my hair orange and start drinking Guiness!

Flogging Molly has some sweet tunes too.

My favorite DKM song has to be Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya. Makes me want to dye my hair orange and start drinking Guiness!

Flogging Molly has some sweet tunes too.

The Tossers do that one too. I think they recorded it before DKM ever did. :D