• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Foam out/Beads in?

Coasty

Gents, I am about to install a Humi Care Pro 1000 electronic humidifier in my tower. What are your thoughts about getting rid of the green foam and replacing that crap with beads. If I get rid of the foam should I activate the beads with a 50/50 propylene glycol solution. Mold is a big concern now that the house is holding at around 79 degrees, after all it was only 110 here in AZ today and I expect the house to remain around 79 for the next 4 months.

Do not use anything other than distilled water with humidity beads. You'll ruin them.

Go to heartfeltindustries.com for your beads. The vast majority of us that use beads, use those, and we love 'em.

I took out the foam and replaced it with gel available at any craft store, just use distilled water and add a bit of rubbing alcohol now and again to deter mold.....if you were going to use beads, why spend the money on the system?

+ 1 for beads, + 1 for heartfelt industries beads and + 1 for distilled water only

Let the voice of those experienced guide you. Use beads, take the money you saved and buy cigars.

I took out the foam and replaced it with gel available at any craft store, just use distilled water and add a bit of rubbing alcohol now and again to deter mold.....if you were going to use beads, why spend the money on the system?

Exactly that.

Beads + water + hygrometer

Don't make it more complicated than necessary.

Heartfelt is the place to go. Calculate how many #
beads they recommend for your volume, then add 50%.
Make sure your tower seals well. Then just check your
hygros every week or so. Add water as necessary.

Beads work very well in my Vinotemp. 5 yrs. now.

Oh yeah, I replaced the foam with beads in my desktop, too.
Same easy drill as with the VT.

Chemyst :cool:

Out of curiosity, how big is your tower?

Beads + water + hygrometer

Don't make it more complicated than necessary.

Heartfelt is the place to go. Calculate how many #
beads they recommend for your volume, then add 50%.
Make sure your tower seals well. Then just check your
hygros every week or so. Add water as necessary.

Beads work very well in my Vinotemp. 5 yrs. now.

Oh yeah, I replaced the foam with beads in my desktop, too.
Same easy drill as with the VT.

Chemyst :cool:

I thought the same at first, but got the impression that he already has the Humi Care Pro 1000 electronic humidifier in possession. I have a Cigar Oasis that seems to work fine in my tower, but takes a bit of maintenance. Once it goes for good, then I'll switch to beads. In the meantime, I'm not going to just toss it.

That's a large tower which will require a lot of air circulation. When I started out with the cigar oasis, I had nothing but problems keeping the entire cabinet at the same RH. I don't have any experience with the humi care pro, however it's a similar design to the oasis, so you might have that same issue with maintaining RH throughout as I did.

I can't say enough good things about the Avallo Accumonitor. You might want to check it out.

Whatever you choose to go with, just make sure you circulate the air and keep the RH flowing evenly throughout the humidor.

Good luck!

I would used the Humi Care pro and daisy chain the fans with it.
Then add beads every other level to help buffer the swings....

That is just my thought though

TIm