• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Follow up to Yowzah!

tone-ny

I smoke therefore I am!
To follow up on Gary's thread about the astronomical price increases we have seen and conversations I have had with a few of you. Is it fair to state that for certain marcas they have priced the majority out? Will you have to stop college funds to afford a box of CoRos? I just see people sticking with the NC market long term and maybe picking up a cigar or two here and there. Guess the Asian market will be buyers, but I see Europe not buying into this increase. Comments, concerns or criticisms.

The pricing has gone from expensive to ridiculous to prohibitive. I'll savor the ones I have, but future ISOM purchases are not happening....for quite a while. Not like there aren't other wonderful cigars being made. I suppose there will always be folks with the income level to drop a K on smokes after dinner, but I'm not one of them. I guess with a restricted supply and big global demand, it makes sense to up your prices....as long as folks keep buying. But they're pushing people out of their market, and there may well be a rediscovery by many of the great stuff coming out of Nicaragua. I don't see any change in pricing strategy as long as the supply and demand stay where they are today.

Aye, I'm out (not that I was at John-levels of CC purchases, but I've bought a few boxes here and there ;) ). I can't justify it with a kid still in the house, and RETIREMENT retirement to plan for.

I'm interested to see how Europe fares with the new scheme. With the Dutch having to close smoking lounges via change in the law, this may be a deathblow to some retailers. I still have contacts at the LCdH here, and I'll have to check in and see how it has impacted them.

Aye, I'm out (not that I was at John-levels of CC purchases, but I've bought a few boxes here and there ;) ). I can't justify it with a kid still in the house, and RETIREMENT retirement to plan for.

I'm interested to see how Europe fares with the new scheme. With the Dutch having to close smoking lounges via change in the law, this may be a deathblow to some retailers. I still have contacts at the LCdH here, and I'll have to check in and see how it has impacted them.
I'm truly interested in how the local Euros are dealing with the price increases and if the are going the NC route.

Personal opinion is this was very short sighted by Habanos. They believed the market was dominated by consumers willing to pay $2K for a box of Eslpendidos when in reality it was a smaller percentage of wealthy buyers snapping up whatever was actually available. I don't think the average smoker has been involved in much of this madness for awhile now. This will really open the door in Europe to the NC manufacturers and Habanos will lose alot of market share in a region where they were a dominant force. Once you open that door it's pretty hard to close so this should be interesting. I say this will backfire on them and they'll drastically cut the costs on these cigars in the next few years.

Personal opinion is this was very short sighted by Habanos. They believed the market was dominated by consumers willing to pay $2K for a box of Eslpendidos when in reality it was a smaller percentage of wealthy buyers snapping up whatever was actually available. I don't think the average smoker has been involved in much of this madness for awhile now. This will really open the door in Europe to the NC manufacturers and Habanos will lose alot of market share in a region where they were a dominant force. Once you open that door it's pretty hard to close so this should be interesting. I say this will backfire on them and they'll drastically cut the costs on these cigars in the next few years.

I sure hope so. Guess I’ll save my $$$ and wait them out 😂

I sure hope so, on both counts, but NCs that are available over here right now are pretty pricey. Not "new CC" pricey, but definitely significantly more than in the US.

I doubt I'll every be buying another box of Cohiba, I always thought they were over priced even before. I'll probably still but some of the "lesser" brand that didn't get hit with as much of a jump, but seems like the bargain part of smoking the non-famous brands is probably a thing of the past.

I'm not sure a communist country truly understands basic economics. Supply and Demand will determine pricing. As many are saying in this thread - not likely anyone will be buying CC's at the prices they're throwing out there right now. Wait it out and see - I can't imagine this is sustainable for them because we certainly can refrain from smoking their cigars at those prices...

I'm not sure a communist country truly understands basic economics. Supply and Demand will determine pricing. As many are saying in this thread - not likely anyone will be buying CC's at the prices they're throwing out there right now. Wait it out and see - I can't imagine this is sustainable for them because we certainly can refrain from smoking their cigars at those prices...
Especially those of us around here that can go many years smoking them without buying any more! 😂

Especially those of us around here that can go many years smoking them without buying any more! 😂
Let's be honest - there are some amazing NC's that Havana can't even hold a candle to... :cool:

Hate to say it - in my book, though, the VR Famoso's can't be beat. But - I have not touched one in about 5 years and I can hold off another 5 if necessary!

I sure hope so, on both counts, but NCs that are available over here right now are pretty pricey. Not "new CC" pricey, but definitely significantly more than in the US.
I hear you!! What will most likely happen though is the guy celebrating a raise at work or birthday etc. That would normally have bought a Cohiba will now possibly reach for a Padron or Davidoff as his celebratory cigar. Thus introducing him to a whole new world of options he wasn’t aware of or just didn’t look at before.

Last edited:
On a similar/not similar topic. I heard on the radio today that Japan is running a serious media blitz to get young folks out there drinking. Apparently, since the virus, ain't many out partying and Japan is losing a sheet ton of $$$ on lost taxes. Just an observation. Maybe the bourbon hoarders over there will free up some Ripple for us!!!

Floyd T

To follow up on Gary's thread about the astronomical price increases we have seen and conversations I have had with a few of you. Is it fair to state that for certain marcas they have priced the majority out? Will you have to stop college funds to afford a box of CoRos? I just see people sticking with the NC market long term and maybe picking up a cigar or two here and there. Guess the Asian market will be buyers, but I see Europe not buying into this increase. Comments, concerns or criticisms.
To your point, sir. I got an email about "Back in stock" from a vendor. I believe a 25 count box of CoRo's were $1500 plus?! Yea, send me three so I can share. It has to backfire. Since all I smoke is Garcia y Vega's, I'm in the clear. Oh yea, I forgot about the "source" I found for Coheebee's, in Peoria, IL. I'm all set.

Floyd T

To be fair, Communism hasn't been sustainable for Cuba, as it is. Yet, here we are 50-some-odd years later...

On a similar/not similar topic. I heard on the radio today that Japan is running a serious media blitz to get young folks out there drinking. Apparently, since the virus, ain't many out partying and Japan is losing a sheet ton of $$$ on lost taxes. Just an observation. Maybe the bourbon hoarders over there will free up some Ripple for us!!!

Floyd T
I have a friend in Okinawa, and this was her response when I asked about that:

"Okinawa is a weird little bubble from mainland japan so our Covid restrictions may be more strict.

Idk how truthful this campaign is though because Japan has a zero tolerance for drinking and driving, absolutely “not one drop” if you plan to drive. It’s a really low number you blow to be considered “drunk” while driving so I know I’ve hardly drank at all these past two years because I don’t want a taxi. I can imagine in other areas that don’t rely on public transportation or walking it would be similar.

But I saw that as well and haven’t heard anything encouraging it. Sounds stupid because if japan wanted money, then they should just open the boarders for tourists to begin spending the money on alcohol because they wouldn’t be driving.

So yes, Covid made people stop drinking but also the country isn’t letting in tourists and now the local population is expected to make up for that. Lol it’s not JUST young people don’t want to drink 😅
"

Take it for what it is...

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, Nick. Anything you hear on the news, it's hit or miss as far as what the truth actually is. I believe I heard it on the Clay and Buck Show, driving back from Tulsa. I truly can't remember. Who knows. It's kinda like Missouri running ads to gamble more "for the kids".(a cut allegedly goes to the schools.). Thanks for checking into it.

Floyd T