• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

For your amusement...

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
The new guy in my office asked me to authenticate this gift he received.

He took the news pretty well!

Anyhow, here are the pics...

DSCN1210.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

The Infamous Glass Top

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

The Seal

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1212.jpg

Date Code

DSCN1214.jpg

The Stick

DSCN1215.jpg

The very orange label

DSCN1216.jpg

Triple cap? It wasn't so pretty on the other side though.

Thought this would be informative and amusing!

Enjoy,

Rob

Few very obvious things give this away, but it also raises a few questions

1) Why would they make the box with a glass top if everyone ( ok almost everyone ) know to look for that as a sure sign

2) Can we get some pics of the real thing for comparison: so far I see 2 ohther things that show its a fake a) orange label and b) La in front of Habana

if not pics of the genuine product; what else is wrong with this one ?

...wow, I realize these are fakes, but is it just me or do the box markings look pretty authentic...?? I sure don't see any "smoking guns"....??

Thanks for the photos - B.B.S.

Hey what type of clasp is on the box.....JK

Of course it's fake. They only put one cigar in the box and it CLEARLY says 25 Esplendidos on the side. Sheesh. Come on! :D

Stamp that comes onto the edge of the seal seems a dead give away to me.

Wow they sure put a lot of effort into trying to make good looking fakes. The printing on the band looks awful strange though.

The MAJOR flaws are...
Glass top :whistling:
The band is ORANGE.
There is an accent mark over Habana.
Warranty seal is printed on different paper, the paper is pure white (not slightly off white), it looks like a printer was used (not like a dollar bill at all, details aren't quite the same).
Italian clasp.

Here's a side by side for you guys...
DSCN1221.jpg

If wanted I will do more detailed side by side pics...

-Rob

Hell I smoked a fake the other day that wasn't too bad...

I've seen hundreds of those boxes on cruises. There is always someone that will come into the ship's smoking lounge smiling, and handing them out. I decline his generosity, and let them smoke in peace........

Excellent thread. I heard about them, and never really paid anymore attention to it other than to steer away from them.

I am interested in seeing more pics, side by side comparison of the cigar, seals, etc, and Oh yea how did it smoke?

Deez

So Rob,

You gonna smoke one?

Wilkey

I was hoping you would!
:sign: :sign:
I might try it... It doesn't smell bad at all. Mostly very cedery.
I might have to dissect one first!

Deez- I will try and post better side by side pics of the cigars. I feel the seal pics won't be clear enough to discern a lot of difference. This would be a great use for a blacklight... If I had one!

-Rob

If the glass-top box is so notorious for it's fakeness, why do counterfeiters continue to make them in glass-top boxes? I would think that they'd try to put them in authentic looking boxes, seems to fly in the face of what those idiots are trying to do. The only people who would buy the glass-top box are those who have no experience with cigars.

Z, that's a great question.

Most of these boxes come back from tourists, that at best are casual smokers or want to impress friends who are smokers. If you are an avid smoker and have had time to travel abroad, you learn where to buy and avoid being ripped off. That isn't so with the casual smoker who thinks since he or she is overseas everyone sells legitimate goods. Even in the country of origin, Cuba you find more fakes than the real deal, as you know even in government approved hotels. So the old caveat applies let the buyer beware