• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Forum newbie

gawntrail

I'm new. Here's some vitals:

Name: Michael Gipson

DOB: 07/11/1970

Hobbies: Golf (fighting to maintain a bogie handicap - consistantly shoot sub 95), Coaching HS FB (although I get paid it is still a hobby), enjoying a quiet evening with the wife, College Football games (live and TV), Spending time with my kids, and enjoying a good smoke either socially (2-3 times a month) or in private (2-3 times a week.

Smokes:
(premium bands)
La Gloria Cubana Wavell (Natural)
Cohiba (Red Dot) Robusto
Hamilton's H. Upmann George II
Just a few to start.........
(everyday smokes-bundles)
cigar.com - Blue (Honduran Blend - Connecticut Shade Wrapper)
cigar.com - Purple (Dominican Blend - Connecticut Shade Wrapper)
cigar.com - Robusto rejects - Natural
cigar.com - Red (Dominican Blend - Maduro Wrapper) mostly my hand-out smokes
cigar.com - Churchill rejects (other handout smokes)
(cigar.com's rejects are great smokes and are about $1 a stick!)

I have some Maduros that are beautiful to look at, but I just haven't come around yet. I'll put them in a tubo and 'marinate' them before I try to smoke 'em. they are a little easier on the palate this way. I do like the cameroon wrapper, but also have to marinate them. I've had a few real Cubans (Montecristo, Cohiba, Partagas Serie D #4, and Hoyo de Monterrey). These were supplied by my brother-in-law that has business in Toronto and Montreal all of the time. Good full-bodied smokes, but a little too much (flavor and $$) to be regulars for me.

I have a couple of desktop humidors, but the mother ship is a glass-fronted wine refrigerator that has the thermostat off. It could hold about 20 boxes, but I don't have that much in it. I have a couple unopened boxes of La Gloria Cubana-Wavell and Cohiba Red Dots-Robusto. I collect other wood boxes and have the rest of the cigar.com <color> and rejects in those. I even have a few flavored ones in tubos in there for my wife.

Well, maybe that's enough to get started.

Thanks for listening,

M. Gipson

Welcome aboard Michael :D

I think you might like it here. :thumbs:

Could you clarify
I'll put them in a tubo and 'marinate' them before I try to smoke 'em
for me, I don't understand that part. ???

welcome, you'll love it here!!

also, you might want to be carfeul of keeping your "flavoreed" stogies in with your "normal" ones ;)

peace,
Mike

PuroBrat,

I've got a 'marinating' humidor that I rub down with a heavy dose of Gran Marnier every time I do it. It's got a cedar divider and on one side go the maduros and cameroons (and anything else for that matter) and on the other goes a secretary's finger tip blotter (basically a shallow plastic tub with a synthetic sponge in it) 1/2 full of gran marnier. They sit about 2 days, I refill the blotter about 1/4 full and then another 3-4 days they go into the original cellos and into one of the 'special' desktop humidors. They do not turn out too sweet, but the wrapper is smoothed out. I'm a mild to medium guy and anything stronger is a little out of my league. An old guy showed me this trick when I first started. He used Jim Beam, but the concept is consistant. Gran Marnier is about the 'thickest' I would go because of evaporation (anything thicker and you're left with a sticky smoke).

I know guys who roll them, dunk them, spray them, and whatever else, but I like the hint of Gran Marnier and my wife enjoys the experience that much more (and those rejects taste like a $10 smoke too!).

I went back and read my original post (the one you quoted), and I made a mistake. The marinating is not done in a tubo, it's done in an old humidor. Sorry for the type-o

M. Gipson :)

Cool!!

That actually sounds about the same as a discussion we once had here about "Infusing" cigars with spirits. I use that method from time to time to "marinate"cigars with Coffee!

makes an otherwise Smokeable cigar even more of a pleasure to smoke! :D

Welcome to the board. I like your marination idea...I might have to try that.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try to keep the standard. The last thing anyone needs is the bar to be lowered any more than it already is!

gawntrail said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try to keep the standard. The last thing anyone needs is the bar to be lowered any more than it already is!

:lookup: ???

Anyway... welcome.