• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FT's Gumbo Pass

FatherTiresius said:
...and now I can whine about them putting "Habana" on the band of a non-cuban cigar <sigh>
Take a closer look...I think it says "Havana" not "Habana" (but I could be wrong...don't have one in front of me) and besides, that's the name of the cigar line, not where they come from.

Nice puts Misc and thank you very much for being a part of the pass. :thumbs: One question: any idea what that Cohiba was so that I can update the (once again functional) webpage? ???
Turns out it say "Habano" ("o", not "a") -- my mistake.

Not a big deal. It's not like I'm totally screwed or anything, and for all the times I've contributed to some minor botch or another in some pass, it's probably good karma for me to drop in the Cohiba.

Robusto, I believe, although you might find out differently, once you get the box. I'm no expert, but that's what I think.

Hope you enjoy it, and all the cigars -- thanks for letting me in the gumbo! :)

Btw, it's "Carpe DM: Seize the Dungeon-Master." :p

I think, Brother Misc, that you will find the Camacho Habano has the habano 2000 wrapper and is just a tad on the Tasty Side :D Or at least that was my experience with one in the same.

side note, Man I just love watching all the passes, even those I am not in. :D

Btw, it's "Carpe DM: Seize the Dungeon-Master."
LOL@Misc...there have been a few that I'd like to seize. And then do evil things to.

the Camacho Habano has the habano 2000 wrapper and is just a tad on the Tasty Side
You're at least half right PB. I think the wrapper is Criollo, not H2K, but I'm not sure. You're definately right that it's a tasty smoke. Everybody talks about the Corojo line and how strong they are, but I think these taste better.

Just got home from a short trip to Vegas. I will scour the house today and see if I have the list here. I could have sworn it was with the other papers though.

Ok, just got back from the PO, box is on its way to Hawaii.

DC 0301 0120 0004 0415 0522

Heads up!

Wade, it's not another Leebo bomb headed your way, it's only my pass. :) No need to go to DEFCON4.

Ben, lmk whether you find it. I have another one that I can send to Wade if you don't turn it up.

Misc, great job! :thumbs: Thanks again for playing.

Wooohooo! :D :thumbs: :D This is a mighty fine looking Pass and I'll start with the Pee-Pee dance soon!

Aloha,

Wade

Father Tiresius,

Darn it, something major has come up and I am going to have to bow out of this pass. Please remove me from the pass order with my apologies. Thanks for letting me participate and good luck with the pass. I am sure that it is going to be a great one.

Sam

Darn it, something major has come up and I am going to have to bow out of this pass. Please remove me from the pass order with my apologies.
:( :(
Sorry to hear that Sam, but of course I understand. Hope things are ok and I'll look forward to hopefully having you in another pass sometime in the future.

Recipe questions:

* The wife (and I, to a lesser extent) is not very hot on oysters, so we're planning to substitute scallops. See any reason not to?

* The recipe has a bunch of prep, then finishes with "boil 15 min, simmer 10 min, add [seafood], return to boil, remove from heat and serve immediately." I'm hoping to serve this to a large group in the middle of a party, so am wondering if any harm would come from adding a small amount of liquid (1/4 C?) and letting it simmer for an hour or two, then continuing with "...add [seafood], return to boil, remove from heat and serve immediately." See any problem with that?

Thanks!

(This better be good! :p Just kidding, I'm sure it is, and my guests are used to my experiments, anyway...)

1) I never had gumbo with scallops, but gumbo is all about using whatever you have and whatever you like. I think it would be good, so go for it. You might cook the scallops just a bit longer than the oysters. With oysters you basically put them in there and they're instantly done...I would let the scallops go for a minute or two until they're opaque.

2) That should be just fine, in fact it will probably be even better. Gumbo, like most soups, gets better the longer the flavors have to marry. In fact, if there's any left over, it will be even better the next day. If you can, use stock for the extra liquid - it will lend a little extra richness to the gumbo. I think you can pretty much leave it in a holding pattern almost indefinately and then add the seafood at the end so that it's not overcooked. My mother has been known to freeze it at that stage and then weeks later thaw it out, add seafood, bring it to a boil and biggedy-bam instant gumbo!

I'm glad you're giving it a try...let me know how it comes out. :)

Wooohooo! The Pass has arrived and it looks great! I'll be raiding the Pass over the weekend and will mail it out on Monday! I'll be back with my Puts/Takes soon... geez, this is going to be tough!

Aloha,

Wade

Recipe update:

* Wife & I don't like oysters, so we substituted scallops
* I'm not big on bell peppers, so I halved the amount.
* Crabs aren't in season here, yet, so we could only get 2 AL-king-crab-legs (for $10!), and peel 'em. Crab-meat is good, so that was a loss. Made up with more scallops & shrimps.
* Was entertaining a crowd, so made pot in the early afternoon, let simmer for hours, added seafood at the last minute & finished.

It was good. It was DARNED good! A hair spicier than I thought it was going to be -- I like spicy stuff, but wasn't sure that my guests would. Everyone said nice things, so I guess that's A Good Thing.

Took a little taste out of the tupperware that sat overnight in the fridge, and it's even better, this a.m. The way to make this stuff is "the day before" -- just like spaghetti sauce or anything else with a dozen flavours that need to marry. Just make the pot according to directions, then stick it in a cedar box at 70F/70RH for 6-24 months, return to boil, add seafood, boil for 1-2 minutes, and serve -- you'll have some great gumbo! :p

stick it in a cedar box at 70F/70RH for 6-24 months, return to boil, add seafood, boil for 1-2 minutes, and serve -- you'll have some great gumbo
:sign: :sign: LMFAO @ Misc.!!!!

Sounds great, I caint wate to get this 'ere pass!!!

BW :thumbs:

The Pass is boxed up and ready to go! Heads up JoeM... the box will leave the islands in the morning... USPS DC No 01038555749002386541

Oh... almost forgot... my puts/takes... LOL!

Takes:
14 Oliva O Omni
25 Fuente Fuente Opus X xXx
26 Fuente Don Carlos No. 2
28 Fuente Fuente Opus X No. 2
33 Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 1
36 Punch Punch 1998
38 El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme Cabinet 1998
39 Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona Cabinet 1998

Puts:
49 Partagas 150th Anniversary AA
50 Ashton VSG Corona Gorda
51 Fuente Double Chateau Sungrown
52 Fuente Anejo No. 50
53 Fuente Work of Art Maduro 1999
54 Fuente Fuente Opus X No. 4
55 Padron Anniversary Maduro Torpedo
56 Partagas Serie D No. 4 2001
57 Partagas Lusitania Cabinet 2001
58 Saint Luis Rey Lonsdale Cabinet 1997
59 Montecristo No. 3 2001
60 Bolivar Corona Extra 1998
61 Saint Luis Rey Corona 1997

Thanks for letting me play Bruddah FT... this is one helluva Pass! Now... I gotta make my shopping list... I think I'll try my hand at making some Gumbo! :D

Aloha Bruddahs!

Wade

:0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0

BRUDDAH WADE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

You never cease to amaze me at your AMAZING PUTS BRO!!!

IN the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, USMC "GARSH!!!!" :p

Way to go bro!

BW :thumbs:

[gets up off the floor]
Can't see.
[puts eyes back in sockets]
Still can't see.
[wipes coffee from monitor]
ok that's better.

HO-LEE POO! Bruddah Wade.....first class puts my friend!! Completely over the top. :thumbs: WOW!

this is one helluva Pass!
If it wasn't before, it is now!! Thanks for playing, Wade, and also for the other help (re-boxing, etc.). Now...get down to the grocery store!! LMAO. Misc made a batch and he didn't die....afaik. :lookup:

Website updated...click the WWW thingy below this post.