• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Añejo Shark

I've never seen anything like that. That is naaaasty. I haven't seen that with any Anejo, Opus, or any cigar I've smoked, but I have yet to smoke a shark. I have a couple waiting for fire in the humi I'll have to pay close attention when I smoke them.

I too understand that most of you may not have this issue and I am not trying to hijack KayakinBoy's thread. That said I am very fortunate to have my humi constantly filled with ~150 various sized Opus, Anejo, Padron 1926, Casa Fuentes and Hemingway Maduros. The only sticks that I have ever seen tar on are the Anejos. Everything but the Padrons are aged from 1-2 years before I smoke them. I too have made second cuts on a couple of them and while their might be a decrease in tar, it still exists until 1/3 of the way thru.

-Bob

I've had tar on a couple cigars they tend to be either a torpedo, a belicoso, or a small ring gauge.

It's never been as bad as KayakinBoy's Shark, but it doesn't take much to ruin a cigar.

I'll add another tar statistic. I picked up a box of sharks from the distribution last Christmas and everyone I've so far smoked (12) has been loaded with tar. It must be last year's batch of sticks. It almost makes a man not want to smoke them any more.

This is a terrible problem and should be enough to make all of you stop smoking these nasty cigars. Send them to me (I will pay shipping of course) and I will put each and every one of them to a fiery death :whistling:

I've never had this happen to me... fairly disgusting! Well documented, KB.
x2 and I smoke a lot of Anejo's.

Maybe it is happening but I'm not noticing. Perhaps that's why they are so enjoyable. :laugh:

Brian

I had the same experience on a #46 that was gifted to me, I don't know the yr or the batch of the cigar but it was the first time it ever happened to me.

Brian

It's bad enough that mold has been a problem with Anejo's but now we have to worry about tar too.

After spending all that money on a box, not to mention the time tracking it down, to find moldy and/or tarry cigars would just be a nightmare.

It's a shame because otherwise they are excellent cigars. But I'm thinking it's not worth the risk to buy a box of em.

DEEEYAM I have never had this problem. I will smoke one tonight in your honor.

I smoked a 2005 OpusX Lancero at the Carlito event in KC, and had tar bubbling out the end. Showed a few guys, dabbed it off, and kept right on smoking it. Damn fine smoke, but I never touched the tar (thank God)

I smoked a 2005 OpusX Lancero at the Carlito event in KC, and had tar bubbling out the end. Showed a few guys, dabbed it off, and kept right on smoking it. Damn fine smoke, but I never touched the tar (thank God)

Once the tar hit my tongue...
icon8.gif

Did you try showing Carlito? Would have been interesting to hear his response.

I've had that happen to me with a LFD DL Lancero. I clipped it futher down and it stopped the tar but the cigar never tasted "right" after that and I ended up throwing it away.

Smoked a Shark down to the last 1/4 with this thread in mind, no sign of tar at all. What an amazing smoke... wow.

The last 2 Sharks I smoked had this problem. That's why they're the last 2 Sharks I'll smoke.

I've smoked about 30 #46s over the last couple of years and I have NEVER had a single problem with them.

I wonder what in the world causes this?

I've only had a few tar experiences, but they were all with torp/belis. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not.

I've had tar on a couple cigars they tend to be either a torpedo, a belicoso, or a small ring gauge.

It's never been as bad as KayakinBoy's Shark, but it doesn't take much to ruin a cigar.

This happens with torps/belis and small ring gauge cigars when you don't clip enough off the head. The tar builds up when there is only a small opening. Clip more off the head and you probably won't have a problem.

This happens with torps/belis and small ring gauge cigars when you don't clip enough off the head. The tar builds up when there is only a small opening. Clip more off the head and you probably won't have a problem.

That's interesting because I smoke probably 90% small ring gauge and have never had this problem with them, just torps. It's definitely possible I didn't cut enough off on those though, but it looks like KY boy cut off plenty?

That's interesting because I smoke probably 90% small ring gauge and have never had this problem with them, just torps. It's definitely possible I didn't cut enough off on those though, but it looks like KY boy cut off plenty?

I've personally only had this happen once with smaller ring gauge cigar (Opus #5) and only twice with a torp/beli/figurado (both times WOAM). I started cutting more off the head and at an angle vs. straight across with torps/belis and have never had a problem again. Opus #5 must have been a fluke thing - never happened again.

YMMV, but I've found that clipping more off the head and at an angle solves the tar build-up problem for me with torps/belis/figurados.

This has happened to me a few times in the past , every time I noticed the cigar was packed/rolled tighter than normal.