• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Anejo and Opus X Auction Alert [ENDS TONIGHT]

Sorry about the links, try them now.

Yes, we've had Cigar Auctioneer for a few years now. But now I'm here making noise!

Not a fan of auctions...or $20 Opus XXX's..and that's still with 4 hours to go. I don't think this is the right audience for fuente auctions. 

Totally understandable.  We do have Opus in the retail store available at retail price most of the time, just a limit of one per person per order.  But do check out Auctioneer sometime, a lot of things go unnoticed and you can get them for dirt cheap.

The only auctions we have on this site, are those that benefit members when they're in need.  Auctions, especially vendors, don't go over too well, especially when it's 2 x MSRP.

Starting an Opus X at 20.00 is not going to generate any good feelings for FSS around here. 

The starting bid was actually $1.00, which singles usually start at.  I don't know why the first bidder jacked it up so high making it 2x MSPR for everyone else.  Sometimes people bid with the standard bid increment, but include the highest amount they are willing to pay, but then if the next bidder does the same, it'll max out to the highest amount as the next bid.  Kind of like eBay.

Before you get a bad taste in your mouth over www.CigarAuctioneer.com, there are good deals on there all the time.  For example, a lot of Feral Flying Pigs just went for under MSPR on Sunday. There is a whole box of 24 T-52s for $1.00 on there right now (MSRP $304.80) though obviously that won't last very long, especially now that I've mentioned it  :blush:

These auctions were a bad example to share because they had already generated some interest.  I apologize for not giving you all first picks, or keeping the promo exclusive to this board.

Sorry for the epic fail everyone!

bcvXeiC.gif

I don't think you failed. I follow your auction site for the occasional steal. Like all things, the buyer just needs to be aware.

MichaelD said:
I don't think you failed. I follow your auction site for the occasional steal. Like all things, the buyer just needs to be aware.

See freebern's post!

I saw it. I guess I still don't see the issue. How is it the vendor's fault if someone overbid on an item? If someone got them for less then retail, wouldn't we pat them on the back for getting a good price. Maybe I'm just missing something because I'm still new here.

The point is that when a vendor takes an item that he knows is in great demand and short supply and puts it up for auction it's because he is looking to take advantage of that situation and squeeze the most profit out of it that he can. The auction allows him to find that guy that is so desperate to obtain the item that he will pay 2, 3, or even 4 times what it's worth to get it. It's just like when a car dealership gets the latest and greatest hot vehicle on the market and marks it up $10 or $20 grand because he knows someone will want it bad enough to pay. In my opinion, it's not right.

Edit for spelling.

Charley said:
The point is that when a vendor takes an item that he knows is in great demand and short supply and puts it up for auction it's because he is looking to take advantage of that situation and squeeze the most profit out of it that he can. 

I hear you, but that has never been our intention.  I understand that while putting a limited supply of inventory on auctioneer rather than the website gives visitors a greater chance at getting the item before it sells out, the downside is what you speak of when individuals go into a bidding war.

Anyone who shops with Famous I would hope recognizes that we pride ourselves in fair prices, regular sales, deals, add-ons, and coupons.  We have no need or desire to take advantage of our valued customers. Seriously, we love the people who shop with us and brainstorm every day how to provide the best experience for them.  The landscape of auctions is out of our control, but to be honest ALOT of items go for way under MSRP and people who frequent the site make out quite well with their bidding.

This Opus auction was the exception, not the standard.  I suppose this is the danger of putting really desirable items on auction, and because of your input, this may be something we consider dropping in the future.

All constructive feedback is much appreciated as we can use this to provide a more ideal experience for you.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for your seemingly level headed responses to constructive criticism, and not getting all bent out of shape like many would.

If it's true that you are not trying to maximize profits, then build a waiting list and offer an allocation of the smoke to next in line for a fair price.

jfields said:
Thanks for your seemingly level headed responses to constructive criticism, and not getting all bent out of shape like many would.

Yup!

MadMonk said:
If it's true that you are not trying to maximize profits, then build a waiting list and offer an allocation of the smoke to next in line for a fair price.

This is close to our "White Glove" strategy through the retail store, especially with the Opus and Liga Privada lines.  We only get so many boxes in at a time, and rather than selling one whole box to a customer, we break it down into singles and sell at the MSRP or MAP (minimum advertised priced) limiting one cigar per customer per day/per order.  

Since everyone does not has the ability to stop by the store physically, they accept orders over the phone via 610-559-8800.  We make the same amount money selling in singles as we would with the box, though this way more people get a chance to try the cigar.  I do like the idea of the waiting list, essentially taking pre-orders on the singles.  I'll mention this to my manager, as we have been testing out taking pre-orders more lately.  Thanks.

Thanks!  And, I also add that I admire the way you are handling yourself under criticism. Us Cigar smokers are a tough and demanding crowd...  ;)